Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lovenest

Kids With Asthma

my 2 yr old just diagnosed with asthma...so sad but relieved at same time cos finally we know what is wrong.

always coughing...sometimes untill he ends up wheezing.

now im worried if the meds he is taking got side effects or not. everyday must take preventer inhaler.

i hope someone can help...i need support

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Heard that Asthma will be cure when they are 12 years old... not sure how true is it... but my brother's son now is 16... never happen again lor...

yeah i was told that it might go away when they r older or be more in control cos they know what they r allergic to and how to deal with. but at the moment im concerned abt the meds or a possible wrong diagnosis.

Dun need to worry too much lah. Is quite common among small kids and is easily managed. Will outgrow very fast. My kid when small also got similar diagonisis, but after 5 yrs old, no recurrance.

Just have to understand what it is, what triggers it (for your kid), and what is best exercises to overcome the issue. My kid goes swimming very often, so lungs very well exercised.

Most important is not to let this condition change outlook of life. I see some parents.. scare kid get more sick.. so everything also cannot do. My view is that kids shd be running ard and the high metabolism will overcome all conditions. I mean.. which is more delightful.. a thin quiet kid or a bolsterous kid running ard?

Can read up http://www.webmd.com/ on what this condition means.

Edited by yoongf

Dun need to worry too much lah. Is quite common among small kids and is easily managed. Will outgrow very fast. My kid when small also got similar diagonisis, but after 5 yrs old, no recurrance.

Just have to understand what it is, what triggers it (for your kid), and what is best exercises to overcome the issue. My kid goes swimming very often, so lungs very well exercised.

Most important is not to let this condition change outlook of life. I see some parents.. scare kid get more sick.. so everything also cannot do. My view is that kids shd be running ard and the high metabolism will overcome all conditions. I mean.. which is more delightful.. a thin quiet kid or a bolsterous kid running ard?

Ya it's very common in kids...my 7yr old nephew has asthma now too....he has to rely sometimes on inhaler when it gets bad....my fiance used to have asthma when he was a kid....but outgrew it when he gets older....don't worry too much, it's not an unusual.

I agree with yoongnf that kids need to exercise more and parents shouldn't be over-protective of their kids when it comes to their health...get them up and running would do more good than harm.

If condition is very serious, just need to avoid vigorous exercising. Normal exercise shd be ok.

Edited by Air

My kid goes swimming very often, so lungs very well exercised.

Ya.. I heard that swimming is very good for Asthma kids...

did he have to take preventer inhaler everyday also????

i also wanted to take him swimming ( i mean play with water lah...now only 2 yrs) but he caught the flu which made the asthma flare up...plan cancel lor.

now he feeling sick and refuse to eat anything..time to use inhaler he will cry like mad as if it is painful. i want to put the inhaler when he is asleep but his paed said will be useless.

sigh

i thk for young kids, use inhaler if they are crying better, more of the med gets inhaled....

i also wanted to take him swimming ( i mean play with water lah...now only 2 yrs) but he caught the flu which made the asthma flare up...plan cancel lor.

now he feeling sick and refuse to eat anything..time to use inhaler he will cry like mad as if it is painful. i want to put the inhaler when he is asleep but his paed said will be useless.

sigh

sigh

Nope, not that serious to use as preventive.

Swimming get flu is not uncommon. Keep on trying, dun give up. Swim on hot days, after come out of water cover with towel, etc. be as kaisu as possible, but do not give up. I believe that more exposure to such situations, will result in kid building up immune system / get used to it, making them stronger early.

Inhaler usually first few times very tramatic, but is something they will get used to it pretty fast. So.. is all about heart pain and perserverance lor.

i myself got asthma since born, inherited by my mum... this wat doc said... Asthma can control but not fully cure...

Recently admitted to hospital due to asthma attack... Fainted during work... somemore tis is the first time since i was in primary sch... tot it cure le, but not... So if yr child got asthma, it better to standby 1 inhaler in case of asthma attack... Dun assume tat it will cure after many yrs... it will occur even after many yrs.. dun wait till it happen... prevent it...

Mi is a living example...

hi lovenest, not sure if you still keep track of this thread, since it's been almost 2mths liao. anyway, my 2.5 yo twins are also diagnosed with asthma. they had to take zenditen and singulair for about 3 months.. then they're alot better now. they do fall ill once in awhile, not it's alot better than before...more controlled and they get well faster as well. mabbe you can ask your PD for more opinion. I also bought a nebuliser and bought berodual and pulmicort to stock up at home. once they start wheezing, i'll nebulise them.

hope this helps...

hi zlia,

my son seems ok now after the preventive inhaler..flixotide.

inf fact i have taken him off the inhaler.

i will though bring them will be when i travel. the preventer and ventolin inhaler which is only for when wheezing occurs.

i hope he wont get it again though.

after the flixotide he has stopped coughing.

Hi Lovenest,

Since you have have taken him off the inhaler. It is advisable to note the allergy.

I use the preventer especially during the flu season & whenever there is a change in weather.

Remember the Kalimantan Fire. Actually doctor advise is to continue the preventer, which

I did not, do no why still don't like the idea. No sure the side effects.

I never force the chamber on them. I kinda make it like a fun to play by doing fingers counting

which they actually look forward to. I even use them once to show that is is okay to use.

All my kids swim, which actually helps, one of them even enrol for Tae Kwan Do.

But told them not to over exert.

All of them are wonderful now. Still kept my 2 chambers in my closets.

Asthma and many chronic diseases are usually caused by sensitivities. One could be sensitive to the environment as well as the foods he/she is eating. An allergen to the body is much like a virus and the body will react by trying to purge it from the system. In mild cases, one may get a stomach upset, or flu-like symptoms. In other cases, the body will shrink the airway passage to prevent more allergens from entering the system, thus resulting in asthma attacks.

There is a lot of information connecting asthma to allergies. I strongly encourage you to google for it. Read as much as you can about it and you will come out wiser. Long-term reliance on drugs is not the solution. You never know when a particular drug will be recalled because of bad side effects, some after many years of usage. In addition, there is no way of increasing one's immunity with a strong reliance on drugs. Instead, try natural herbs to strengthen the body's immunity.

I highly recommend you read this book if you or your children are suffering from asthma http://www.amazon.com/Winning-War-Against-...s/dp/0827386222.

my 2 yr old just diagnosed with asthma...so sad but relieved at same time cos finally we know what is wrong.

always coughing...sometimes untill he ends up wheezing.

now im worried if the meds he is taking got side effects or not. everyday must take preventer inhaler.

i hope someone can help...i need support

hi lovenest,

i can fully understand your anxiety over your kid's condition. do not worry so much, both my kids were diagnosed with asthma before they were 1 year old. though there is no cure for asthma, but if you manage their condition well, they are just like any other normal kids without asthma.

my older girl who is almost 10 years old now has not has any serious asthma attack since 5 years old and my younger girl who is now 7 years old is controlling her asthma well. so far only the 7 year old girl has been admitted to hospital once for viral fever that led to serious asthma attack that caused her to have breathing difficulty.

do follow the prescription from the doc and give your child his daily preventor till the doc says he is well enough to be taken off it.

i was like you, afraid of the side effects the inhaler has on my kids if they use too much. but accordingly to the doc, the dosage is not high enough to cause bad side effect and the benefits outweighs the side effects. my younger girl has been on daily puff of the preventor (orange decanter) since 3 or 4 years ago with 3 monthly's review with the doc in KK. she is still growing normally, doing all activities normally (she swims, jumps, skips and runs like nobody business). i only stop these activities the moment i spot that she has light coughs and runny nose. try not to let your child do vigorous exercise or run in an airconditioned room as cold air tends to tighten their airways and vigorous exercise will trigger asthma.

my child is attended by a senior consultation in kk and i think she really gave me the assurance that asthma is a manageable condition.

cheer up! do pm me if you need more information or my personal experience on handling asthma or any support. i am more than happy to share.

good luck

Edited by tientien