Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tomasulu

Where To Find Value-for-money Builders?

Bought an old terrace house recently and am thinking of erecting/reconstructing a new structure on the existing plot of land. i won't have time to do full-time project management so a design-and-build contractor who can handle the entire build - structure design, plans submission, electrician/plumbers, ID, etc. - would suits me best. But where are the value-for-money builders?

Yellow pages is not much help. ID mags showcase/award winning-Architects-ID type setups are too rich for my blood. Word-of-mouth gave me a few contacts but the recommendations aren't exactly what you would call enthusiastic. doesn't help that the construction market is a seller's market at the moment.

care to share what tipped the scale for you when you decide on your builder? what are the things to watch out for? how do you find out about their financial situations? appreciate any recommendation of course. my budget is S$150/psf, including piling work if required. ID-tie in would be a plus but not necessary.

Edited by tomasulu

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I believe the avg cost now is ard $200psf. $150psf is definitely below cost, unless the contractor is willing to subsidise yr new house.

I believe the avg cost now is ard $200psf. $150psf is definitely below cost, unless the contractor is willing to subsidise yr new house.

believe it or not, i have verbal quotes of $100-150/psf after on-site inspection by the contractors. The quotes take into consideration, presumably cheaper, roof terrace construction.

i know price is not very thing but in the absence of good reliable information, how else do we decide?

If someone dare to bid $100psf.. u try asking him for a performance bond for the difference up to $200psf.

Anybody can quote $100psf, and then midway threaten to walk off unless u agree to top up.

To check on contractors, ask for recent project and talk to the owner. If owner can give good reference then is ok.

Other way is performance bond, whereby if contractor fails to deliver, can call the bond to get another contractor to finish up. Only financially strong contractors can get performance bonds/credit facilities from banks.

Trust me.. if a contractor is reliable, it will be closer to $200psf.

I think it's hard to say whether it is expensive or value when it's just a figure ... did they say what is entails and what material used ?

I guess off-hand, it is hard to be as accurate as possible ... but I do agree 100psf is on the low side taking into consideration today's frentic construction frenzy ...

2 years ago, when I asked, I was quoted between $130 - $180psf and some excluding some professional fees which will come up to additional $20-$50K

Can call 97636688 Ray for discussion ... nice and friendly guy.

:P

If someone dare to bid $100psf.. u try asking him for a performance bond for the difference up to $200psf.

Anybody can quote $100psf, and then midway threaten to walk off unless u agree to top up.

To check on contractors, ask for recent project and talk to the owner. If owner can give good reference then is ok.

Other way is performance bond, whereby if contractor fails to deliver, can call the bond to get another contractor to finish up. Only financially strong contractors can get performance bonds/credit facilities from banks.

Trust me.. if a contractor is reliable, it will be closer to $200psf.

performance bond idea is worth exploring. i am telling you, i have seen end-to-end reconstruction (right down to ID design and carpentry works) projects going at less than $100/psf. and we are not talking cheapo materials/fixtures either. that was half a year ago though, right before the indo. sand ban. still, $150/psf is definitely do-able.

my experience with ID firms teaches me that more expensive quotes don't equate to a better-quality end product. i have a nagging suspicion that the construction industry operates pretty much along the same lines - assuming all things being equal, quotes vary WILDLY.

i agree that price is not everything but it is at least easy to compare. how do we priced abstract intangibles like 'reliability' or 'reputation' when information is so hard to come by?

thanks for the recommendation, will get in touch with him.

i agree that price is not everything but it is at least easy to compare. how do we priced abstract intangibles like 'reliability' or 'reputation' when information is so hard to come by?

thanks for the recommendation, will get in touch with him.

I guess one way is to look at their previous works and see their presentations and quotes ... if u have talked to a couple of desing-n-builders, you will already know some indicative and would be able to tell if some coy is pulling a fast one :jawdrop:

About 1.5 - 2yrs ago would have been the cheapest time to rebuild your home. Steel prices were one of the first items to sky rocket followed by fuel, copper, workers levy, safety requirements, cement, sand,......... and the general increase in homes being rebuilt, together with the booming property industry.

With the 2% increase in GST, prices in the construction industry would invariably be heading up in the short to medium term run. Adding to the upward spiral in prices - the IR, Enbloc Redevelopements and the increase in population size would inevitably escalate construction costs.

A good estimate for rebuilding cost would be :

Intermediate Terraces : $150-$170psf

Semi-Detached Houses : $170-$190psf

Detached Houses : $200+psf

(Just my personal estimates)

Two years ago, Intermediate Terrace houses were being built at $100 - $120psf. With the market testing new heights, where would construction costs be in the future? The likelyhood of prices moving up seems inevitable.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to interrupt into this thread. I think I have posted about rebuilding in other threads but will give more details on my requirements here.

I have a corner terrace and is planning to rebuild it to the max capacity and adding a small lift. Saw from the newspaper that a small lift would cost $45K. I think those that accomodate 3 to 4 persons type.

Saw my neighbour build up to 4 storey with roof terrace. My house is sitting on a small land of 2500 sq ft. I think each level about 900 sq ft will be good enough.

Would $500K be enough to do a design and build, including professional fees/ piling/ etc if required. My specs are quite simple:

a. Preferably nice red brick wall (ie no need to do painting) for fencing and exterior of the house.

b. exposed water pipes and electricity trunking (no need conceal type)

c. I pay for the materials such as sink/ WC/ Shower Heads/ taps/ water heater but contractor has to install them

d. Homogeneous tiles except for living room which I prefer to be granite (the granite will be paid for, supplied and chosen by me, contractor needs to install them)

e. No need to install kitchen or bedroom cabinet but to install the necessary drainage pipes and water pipes.

f. Stairs will have to be 1 metre wide and the steps sufficiently big (notice that some places have stairs that are very narrow and steps that are very small)

g. water proofing has to be provided at all necessary areas.

Would $500K be enough to do a design and build, including professional fees/ piling/ etc if required. My specs are quite simple:

I doubt $500K is sufficient for the above or it is very tight budget .... My thoughts (no offence meant):

* lift - waste of space and undue maint cost

* 4 storey - why ? My present bedroom is on the 3rd and each time I'm at the driveway and remember I left my wallet or keys, my legs go weak or I rather borrow $10 from colleagues for lunch :bangwall:

* For land of 2500sqft, depends if u like some garden space ... if yes, perhaps a build-up of 3000 (1000/level) ? If not, perhaps a 3600sqft (1200/level) ?

* Depending on layout, 900 for the ground floor to squeeze (decent size) kitchen, dining room, living room, granny room, toilet and maybe maid's room can be a challenge ....

Btw, 2500sqft not that small ... :yamseng:

Bro, I need a lift to help my aged parents get around the house. If I get a lift, then I probably will build up to 4 storey with high ceiling. Heard that the maintenance of the lift is $1K for 4 servicing per year and can last between 20 to 25 years. Granny room can be on higher floor when there is lift. Maid can sleep next to baby. The dog can sleep on the ground floor. The dry kitchen in the house can be small and the wet kitchen can be more spacious. I think it will be quite a good experience to see a bit of garden while cooking at the back of the house.

Planning to buy the remnant land beside my house from the govt too. I think it is between 250 to 300 sq ft. If govt sells me, the land would be expanded and not look too cramp when the house is build up. I noticed that some houses looked very cramp when it is built up.

Yes, I think $500K is tight but this is about the best I can do. I am looking for value for money builders with some spare capacity to do this work and is not in a hurry. Maybe, this is not a good time to rebuild and next year when the recession is more full blown may offer better opportunities.

sorry, just saw your PM...$500K quite tough leh. If you need piling, can cost you $40k and the queue is long. I think ~$200 psf may be still possible. Just be aware that the project cost will always overrun, not nett nett deal when dealing with contractors.

If you need to have a lift, do you need an airwell as well? i think quite tough to have both gaging from your land size.

Maybe design and build may suit you better to manage cost and the project. :yamseng:

Bro, I need a lift to help my aged parents get around the house. If I get a lift, then I probably will build up to 4 storey with high ceiling. Heard that the maintenance of the lift is $1K for 4 servicing per year and can last between 20 to 25 years. Granny room can be on higher floor when there is lift. Maid can sleep next to baby. The dog can sleep on the ground floor. The dry kitchen in the house can be small and the wet kitchen can be more spacious. I think it will be quite a good experience to see a bit of garden while cooking at the back of the house.

Planning to buy the remnant land beside my house from the govt too. I think it is between 250 to 300 sq ft. If govt sells me, the land would be expanded and not look too cramp when the house is build up. I noticed that some houses looked very cramp when it is built up.

Yes, I think $500K is tight but this is about the best I can do. I am looking for value for money builders with some spare capacity to do this work and is not in a hurry. Maybe, this is not a good time to rebuild and next year when the recession is more full blown may offer better opportunities.

Don't think I will install an air well as it is a corner terrace and 3 sides of the house can be open up. It is quite windy and airy as my place is unblock. Will probably install a fan on top of the lift, but I supposed the lift installer would know how to do it.

Probably when the piling work for the IRs are completed, there will be some spare capacity for piling to be distributed elsewhere. $200 psf for a 4 storey house is beyond my budget. I prefer to work on lump sum basis, design and build because I think project cost will certainly overrun.

If you have good lobang, do pm me. Thanks.

Better to list down the items to be build.

I choose the cheapest contractor that tender for my project. After the house have been tear down, I need to top up 30 to 50k because they say it was not included in the project amount....example the wall of the semi-D house that share with the neighbour....etc.

I ask them for a performance bond but somehow they didn't show proof of the performance bond they had bought.

Edited by cookcpu