Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chewie family

Consultancy and ID cost

3 minutes ago, Alkft said:

Yes Airwell has its positives , but the current layout on first floor is living room , few steps up and dining area with the Airwell on the right and such that the Airwell dips a few steps down. A common toilet opens into the Airwell and then a granny room. 
after the dining room on left, is the stairways and then the kitchen behind 

we would love an open concept kitchen but seems current original layout won’t allow so. Contractor suggested switching the layout over. But that would involve moving position of toilet. Wondering if such switch if layout , whereby toilet pipes etc will be involved, is it fairly commonly done or it would make the interior reno very complicated and very much higher cost involved ? 

I was advised not to move toilets too far away from current location as you need to connect concealed piping/waste/drainage etc. so I'm just expanding some of my toilets. I'm focusing on doing renovations that does not require submissions to keep costs down and schedule as short as possible.

Since you are already doing A&A, it may still be worth it to change toilet location in the overall scheme of things.

My house is 26 years old and I am changing all the electrical wiring and water piping. Check if your power supply is already 3-phase. If not, you may want to upgrade.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
8 hours ago, Alkft said:

Thanks for the info! Will take your advice and have the contractor check the roof. 
for option B, would the roof towards front of the house which houses the opening of the Airwell need to be changed as well? Or just the roof slope towards the rear?

was told by a contractor changing facade of the house due to extensions won’t affect the works done to be under A&A - is this true?? 

and grateful to be informed about this law which protects the contractors against delays during covid situation. 

would u think it is a good idea to have the excavation done now, if we intend to keep the Airwell , to future proof the house for a lift to be installed? Or this can be done in the future when want to install a lift ? Roughly how much is this excavation ?

would opening a light well over where the staircase is serve similar purpose as an Airwell? Or only serve to help with brightness 

hm the Airwell now doesn’t allow water/rainfall to come in, but I’m not sure if it’s completely sealed shut or just have the slopes done over the opening to have water / rain flow further down and onto the roof , and not come into the Airwell opening above. 

Any advice , for a nearly 30’year old house, during renovation, definitely should change electrical , upgrade electrical power... any other aspects should have it done in view of the age ?

- pipes from previous discussion, if assessed ok, and if copper, can keep as is 

- roof to have it checked and if no leakage, just ensure touch up water proofing , and no need to change 

How about pest control ? Advisable to have it done? Contractor should be able to advise on when to organize it?

whether just the rear of the roof needs to be redone or the entire roof depends on how the existing structure is designed. I can't comment on this as I don't have the details. however do note that if your house currently is beyond the allowable height based on envelope control, you may have to bring the roof lower to be within the building envelope should you decide to do the roof extension as well.

the facade rule is more of external walls. any changes beyond 50% will not fall under A&A. but if you already has the 1st storey back extended and that wall isn't going to be touched, then you may still fall within the 50% for your 2nd and 3rd storey extensions. it's all about calculating the area of the walls so need detail plans to calculate

if you excavate the lift pit now, what are you going to do with the hole? the lift pit can be about 1.2m deep and it will pose a safety issue. no idea on the cost so this part you need to check with contractors.

a window/opening above your stairs only serve to bring in light unless you design it such that air can also be vented out as well.

if your house doesn't have 3 phase supply, then it would be better to upgrade. 3 phase 63A should be enough.

termite treatment is normally done when the house is rebuilt from scratch or when doing reconstruction when major parts of the floor is worked on, but your house is already built. the treatment still can be done if you choose to do so. 

8 hours ago, Alkft said:

Yes Airwell has its positives , but the current layout on first floor is living room , few steps up and dining area with the Airwell on the right and such that the Airwell dips a few steps down. A common toilet opens into the Airwell and then a granny room. 
after the dining room on left, is the stairways and then the kitchen behind 

we would love an open concept kitchen but seems current original layout won’t allow so. Contractor suggested switching the layout over. But that would involve moving position of toilet. Wondering if such switch if layout , whereby toilet pipes etc will be involved, is it fairly commonly done or it would make the interior reno very complicated and very much higher cost involved ? 

if you relocate the toilet, you will need to hack your floor as well so that new waste pipes can be run to connect back to the inspection chamber. if you have no intention of redoing the flooring of the 1st storey, then better don't touch the toilet.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:06 AM, snoozee said:

if you relocate the toilet, you will need to hack your floor as well so that new waste pipes can be run to connect back to the inspection chamber. if you have no intention of redoing the flooring of the 1st storey, then better don't touch the toilet.

Thanks for the advice. Yes we will

be doing full interior reno so changing flooring. But will switching the pipes and all, due to change in layout of toilets, is it fairly commonly done ? Does it incur a lot more construction costs if we are already hacking and doing A&A?

On 5/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, snoozee said:

whether just the rear of the roof needs to be redone or the entire roof depends on how the existing structure is designed. I can't comment on this as I don't have the details. however do note that if your house currently is beyond the allowable height based on envelope control, you may have to bring the roof lower to be within the building envelope should you decide to do the roof extension as well.

the facade rule is more of external walls. any changes beyond 50% will not fall under A&A. but if you already has the 1st storey back extended and that wall isn't going to be touched, then you may still fall within the 50% for your 2nd and 3rd storey extensions. it's all about calculating the area of the walls so need detail plans to calculate

if you excavate the lift pit now, what are you going to do with the hole? the lift pit can be about 1.2m deep and it will pose a safety issue. no idea on the cost so this part you need to check with contractors.

a window/opening above your stairs only serve to bring in light unless you design it such that air can also be vented out as well.

if your house doesn't have 3 phase supply, then it would be better to upgrade. 3 phase 63A should be enough.

termite treatment is normally done when the house is rebuilt from scratch or when doing reconstruction when major parts of the floor is worked on, but your house is already built. the treatment still can be done if you choose to do so. 

Thanks for all the advice. 

May I ask when would 3 phase 63A not be enough? 

if want to future proof for lift installation in the future, how much should the electrical be upgraded to? Or is it possible to upgrade it next time instead when installing a lift 

Even if you have a lift and a pool, it should be fine.
I have a pool, pond, 6 aircons and lots of gear in my HT den. No issues.

There's a thread on 3 phase here you can check out, but do bear in mind a 100A three phase needs an annual inspection and extra costs.. But if you feel you really need it, do it now, not later.

Edited by petetherock

2 hours ago, Alkft said:

Thanks for the advice. Yes we will

be doing full interior reno so changing flooring. But will switching the pipes and all, due to change in layout of toilets, is it fairly commonly done ? Does it incur a lot more construction costs if we are already hacking and doing A&A?

Hacking the floor tiles and excavating the floor for new waste pipes are different. So you would definitely incur additional cost on excavation the floor

10 minutes ago, petetherock said:

There's a thread on 3 phase here you can check out, but do bear in mind a 100A three phase needs an annual inspection and extra costs.. But if you feel you really need it, do it now, not later.

3 phase 100A no longer need annual inspection for landed residential houses. 

1 hour ago, snoozee said:

3 phase 100A no longer need annual inspection for landed residential houses. 

Thanks 

recent ruling?

8 hours ago, petetherock said:

Thanks 

recent ruling?

Seems to be so for several years but someone verified it recently with EMA

On 5/9/2021 at 9:44 PM, petetherock said:

Thanks for the advice. Had a contractor advise need for 100A for 3 storey terrace. 

On 5/9/2021 at 9:53 PM, snoozee said:

Hacking the floor tiles and excavating the floor for new waste pipes are different. So you would definitely incur additional cost on excavation the floor

Thanks for the advice!

May i check the likely costs for A&A if extend to rear level 2,3 of 3 storey inter terrace resulting in increase gfa from 269.4 sqm to 400 sqm, with pillar in car porch area moved to the side as well and full interior renovation including electrical, toilets, also retile car.porch and backyard?

Looking to use big tiles in living room abd level 2 and 3 using vinyl tiles

Edited by Alkft
Wrong sq.m

11 hours ago, Alkft said:

Thanks for the advice. Had a contractor advise need for 100A for 3 storey terrace. 

Not really necessary for 100A but since the upfront cost difference is marginal, might as well do it now

11 hours ago, Alkft said:

Thanks for the advice!

May i check the likely costs for A&A if extend to rear level 2,3 of 3 storey inter terrace resulting in increase gfa from 269.4 sqm to 400 sqm, with pillar in car porch area moved to the side as well and full interior renovation including electrical, toilets, also retile car.porch and backyard?

Looking to use big tiles in living room abd level 2 and 3 using vinyl tiles

Based on info from another thread, I guess budget around 600k should be safe

6 hours ago, snoozee said:

Based on info from another thread, I guess budget around 600k should be safe

Thank you. And estimage 8-9months for construction? Or longer given covid situation?

Also anyone has experience with construction loan?