Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MaCe

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog

if there is such a job to sell both brands i dont mind.

when you have used those ah kow and ah meow brand bulbs - you will know why.

ya, bro MaCe is rite. I ever used those cheapo brand coz tot cheap cheap ma... and within 1 week, its gone :furious: so revert back to using osram & philips.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
you mean it auto switch OFF? did the circuit breaker trip?

might be a faulty ballast.

Yes. It auto switch off. I turned off the switch and after about 1 hour turned on and it worked!.. but after about half hour it auto switched off again :(

Bought the ballasts from CCM. Will they entertain if I bring back to exchange? Bought seven from them.

Any wiring diagram I can refer to to make sure I got the wiring correct?

Yes. It auto switch off. I turned off the switch and after about 1 hour turned on and it worked!.. but after about half hour it auto switched off again :(

Bought the ballasts from CCM. Will they entertain if I bring back to exchange? Bought seven from them.

Any wiring diagram I can refer to to make sure I got the wiring correct?

check wiring if wiring no problem then ballast should be faulty.

ballast3.jpg

LeftHandSide Top > Down

Neutral

Live

Ground

RightHandSide Top > Down

Pair up 1 and 2

Pair up 3 and 4

1 and 2 fix to one end of the tube(connector), 3 and 4 to the other end of tube(connector)

hope you still have the receipt > can go back to them to exchange.

check wiring if wiring no problem then ballast should be faulty.

ballast3.jpg

LeftHandSide Top > Down

Neutral

Live

Ground

RightHandSide Top > Down

Pair up 1 and 2

Pair up 3 and 4

1 and 2 fix to one end of the tube(connector), 3 and 4 to the other end of tube(connector)

hope you still have the receipt > can go back to them to exchange.

Thanks for the prompt reply. You've been a great help!

Are there any polarity concerns for 1&2 and 3&4? Or it doesn't matter whether 1 matches to 4 on the other end of the tube and 2 matches to 3 ? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question ;)

Thanks for the prompt reply. You've been a great help!

Are there any polarity concerns for 1&2 and 3&4? Or it doesn't matter whether 1 matches to 4 on the other end of the tube and 2 matches to 3 ? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question ;)

huh? :dunno:

1&2 got to be together, 3&4 got to be together.

you cant pair up 1+3 or 2+4.

Making it simple, 1&2 connects to a tube connector, 3&4 to another tube connector.

At the tube connector itself, there is no polarity.

Hi guys, where can i buy the Mold Duck Cleaner, i went to Giant/NTUC/Homefix & Selfix still can't find it.

beats me too....cant find it anywhere now...not even amk ntuc..

huh? :dunno:

1&2 got to be together, 3&4 got to be together.

you cant pair up 1+3 or 2+4.

Making it simple, 1&2 connects to a tube connector, 3&4 to another tube connector.

At the tube connector itself, there is no polarity.

Sorry for the confusion. I finally got the entire thing sorted out. :) The root cause of all the problems was because the guy at CCM sold me the 18W Ballasts instead of the 36W ones which was indicated on their invoice. I proceeded to install the 18W ballasts with my T5 28W tubes... which was why I had all these problems of the tubes going off after a while :P

Had the ballasts replaced by the nice pple at CCM including 3 T5 tubes which kinda got burnt due to the 18W ballast.

Now I'm happy to report the successful completion of the T8 magnetic ballast to T5 electronic ballast project :)

I must say, the T5 tubes are much brighter than my previous 36W T8 warm whites... and at only 28W .. woohoo :D

Thanks to Mace for all the help and advise rendered.

Sorry for the confusion. I finally got the entire thing sorted out. :) The root cause of all the problems was because the guy at CCM sold me the 18W Ballasts instead of the 36W ones which was indicated on their invoice. I proceeded to install the 18W ballasts with my T5 28W tubes... which was why I had all these problems of the tubes going off after a while :P

alamak.... i always patronise their branch in toa payoh lor 8, they are more KIASI - always ASK how many watts i want. Anyway, good thing they replace them for free.

I must say, the T5 tubes are much brighter than my previous 36W T8 warm whites... and at only 28W .. woohoo :D

Thanks to Mace for all the help and advise rendered.

not much help given lah.... the process shiok right? :lol:

the T5 even when switch on for 1 whole day - no heat also. if T8 you will feel like sauna.

Less Heat, Less Watts = Less $$$ on your PUB bill :notti:

one thing to take note when using T5, dont suka suka switch on and off frequently. The tubes will burnt out quick - one of the reasons why I didnt change T5 in my mum's house, old pple loves to switch on/off 10-20 times a day.

Now I'm happy to report the successful completion of the T8 magnetic ballast to T5 electronic ballast project :)

hope SKYWOLF read this ahahhahaha

8|8|

You know I will patronise your t-blog one so long got new posts. Or when I need to dig older info. :notti:

Pls dun remind me of the incident liaoz. Go pyscho my hubby !! He got a shelling from me y'day coz he thot mine keeping quiet when the sales asst kept warping on e-ballast no gd = truth. It was because out of politeness tt I didnt rebut back lor, and why whd I want something that i know will last us 9 mths niah?! :furious:8| him also.

the reasons why a lighting shop's salesperson will keep ranting that electronic ballast are LOUSY.

1) they just want a easy deal, confirm the order and deliver. commisson earned. cos most lighting shops do not have in-house electricians to do the conversion, the salesperson have to do the conversion by themselves which also means EXTRA work but no EXTRA commission.

2) most lightingshops boss do not stock branded e-ballast from philips or osram. they want the maximum profit by stocking only china no brand cheapo ballast. Salesperson not stupid, if they sell it, customers will come back and BANG tables 6 mths* later. I did have one cheapo china brand eballast and it just died last week, approx 8 mths old. not only died but BURNT and trip my entire MCB.

3) Most salesperson are not updated with the latest technology - infact electronic ballast are OLD technology liao. They didnt want to take the risk cos there is really a lot of HEARSAY among those uneducated electricians/salespersons that electronic ballast(china brand) = no good. China brand e-ballast is indeed LOUSY. But hey I am talking about philips/osram e-ballast here.

So far I have been to countless lighting shops during my reno and there are only 3 shops that willing to convert to e-ballast. Out of the 3 shops, 2 of them are BOSSes and the other one is a very knowledgeable salesperson(SUPER RARE). The rest just SIAN(bluff) whatever they can about how lousy e-ballast are - without even knowing the real disadvantage/advantages.

KNOWN Disadvantage of E-ballast

cannot switch ON/OFF too many times within a day. the tubes get blown fast.

infeasible if you have old pple in the house. my parents can switch on/off for like 10-20 times a day.

Advantages = no flickering, no humming sound, no teng teng teng sound..etc just search google...too many to type here but as long as your MAIN concern is $$$, electronic ballast + T5 lamps this will definitely lower your monthly PUB bills.

Bro Mace

T5 tubes eqv to 32Watts normal cirrcula tube have or not ah?

Tried the philps e-ballast on PL-L lights? I din know PL-L lights uses Mag Ballasts....now I itching to try conversion...not sure if can use....

Where to get cheap T5 cirrcular tubes if they ever exists

Bro Mace

T5 tubes eqv to 32Watts normal cirrcula tube have or not ah?

Tried the philps e-ballast on PL-L lights? I din know PL-L lights uses Mag Ballasts....now I itching to try conversion...not sure if can use....

Where to get cheap T5 cirrcular tubes if they ever exists

T5 do have circular ones but the saving aint much - What i did is ;

1) change the circular ceiling lamp's ballast to e-ballast.

2) buy the philips super colour something - the most expensive circular lamp i remember $6 or $7.(normal ones only $3)

with eballast you can read books without any eyesore - cos the lamp no longer flickers.

T5 circular comes in 22watts and 40watts but to retrofit a existing circular - only the 40watts size can fit cos 22watts too small.

Edited by MaCe