Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi Darnie,

They were discussing about down lights.

Opps. Anyway if close enough can explore a track instead of individual downlight. Can be expensive on the all in cost.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

L-box only without false ceiling will not be so ex.... just have L-box by the side, instead of whole false ceiling then it would not cost $900. if your contractor charging so much, then its just too expensive.

But, i think track lights are ok..... as long as you don't shine it into your eyes....

BTW, nice lamp you bought for your foyer! :dribble:

Do you mean the L-box with cove lights are cheaper? I get quotation for L-box with false ceiling (no cove lights) almost all of them giving the same price $900 +-

The reason i don't like cove lights because i know it is the place that will collect dust and dead lizards.. :curse:

I suggest you try Sim Lim Tower to check out the track lights as well. I think it's on the upper floors.

Thanks Neoby! I'll go and have a look.

The housing for track light is not very expensive, but it is the bulb (depends what bulbs you are using) and the bulb holder that is expensive. We didn't research where to buy track lights will be cheaper, because we have already bought our lights from that particular shop, so no choice, got to exchange the lights in that shop, and we got the track lights from that shop.

There are cheaper track lights, but you have to look at the overall. We saw one track light, cheap cheap! BUT when the bulb blows, you need to change the whole bulb holder. The bulb is fixed to the holder, so you can't change the bulb only, you need to change the whole thing - bulb holder. The bulb holder itself costs $78 per piece, which is so expensive! One light bulb costs only $15-$2x. If you buy that type of cheap track light, the initial purchase is cheap, but on long-term, the track lights become very expensive. So be careful when you choose track lights.

We have also saw one track light that can only use halogen lights, you cannot use other light bulbs. Halogen bulbs are very warm, the heat come out from the bulb which feels like spot lights, which is only suitable for decorative purposes (shining on pictures), not for lighting the room. Though the track light looks modern, but we cannot stand the heat, and the lights hurt our eyes too.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. The next shopping trip i will be careful not to buy bulb that is fixed to light holder. I am planning to look for light holders which can support both LED and energy saving bulbs.

I was quoted L-box + cove light + passage way false ceilings about $1k++; only one side of the living L-box comes with cove light. After consideration, we decided to take out the L-box and do ceiling lights. No $ to do fancy fancy

I thought using track light is considered one point? A 2 meter track can accommodate about 5 modules. But end of day it's still 1 lighting point.

track light is charged at about 2 lighting points. electrician also have to eat...

Really? I will contact him and see if i can get a good deal for lights. I have estimated about $1k for lighting only.. is this too much or too little? :o

i also budgetted 1k for lights. and when i go to SG shops, i know sure die not enough. so i went to best light in jb (the one that BY went as well), and in the end, still spend like 1.5K. but half of it was spend on my LED downlights though.

$1-1.5k for lightings is okay, but if never use downlights, can save $400-500. So $1k is sufficient. Remember to bargain for lights to come with FOC bulbs, or else the shop will try to sell you their bulbs. This will add on your cost - exceed more than $1k budget.

Do you mean the L-box with cove lights are cheaper? I get quotation for L-box with false ceiling (no cove lights) almost all of them giving the same price $900 +-

The reason i don't like cove lights because i know it is the place that will collect dust and dead lizards.. :curse:

Well, my LBox at my kitchen was only $300. so if add in 3 lighting points and install and buy lights by electrician, was another $200 so total only $500. Of course more ex than track lights.... but definitely not $900 loh... maybe your contractor don't know how to do Lbox without doing false ceiling?

Edited by May_dream1

Well, my LBox at my kitchen was only $300. so if add in 3 lighting points and install and buy lights by electrician, was another $200 so total only $500. Of course more ex than track lights.... but definitely not $900 loh... maybe your contractor don't know how to do Lbox without doing false ceiling?

I get what you mean now. Your L box in the kitchen is the one above your cabinet right? Ya, that was what we asked for. But the quotation is inclusive of false ceiling in the corridor areas as well. Since all the quotation we get also $900 plus minus, so we think the price is roughly around there la no matter which contractor we take the cost is still there.

track light is charged at about 2 lighting points. electrician also have to eat...

i also budgetted 1k for lights. and when i go to SG shops, i know sure die not enough. so i went to best light in jb (the one that BY went as well), and in the end, still spend like 1.5K. but half of it was spend on my LED downlights though.

Best light in JB, do you have the address? Can PM me?

Best light in JB, do you have the address? Can PM me?

please read my comments on buying lights from Best Light k? I also bought from them. Just need to take note of some stuff.

I get what you mean now. Your L box in the kitchen is the one above your cabinet right? Ya, that was what we asked for. But the quotation is inclusive of false ceiling in the corridor areas as well. Since all the quotation we get also $900 plus minus, so we think the price is roughly around there la no matter which contractor we take the cost is still there.

no no.. i don't have top cabinet... i only have Lbox on top of my stove....

you can just do Lbox only one part, no need to do all along the corridor mah.....

please read my comments on buying lights from Best Light k? I also bought from them. Just need to take note of some stuff.

you just reminded me that i need another trip there. to get some missing "spare parts" as well as to look at table lamps.

you just reminded me that i need another trip there. to get some missing "spare parts" as well as to look at table lamps.

hhmm...i thinking of getting another ceiling fan for the room. what else can i get from there? i wanna tompang. heee

when you want to go? i also want to go "jalan-jalan"

hhmm...i thinking of getting another ceiling fan for the room. what else can i get from there? i wanna tompang. heee

another chandelier light? heehee

when you want to go? i also want to go "jalan-jalan"

dunno yet. i'm going this thursday pm but the bulk of the time i will be a car workshop. major servicing.....

can arrange for a day in april.