Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rumi

Help! Need To Know Lighting Basics!

Hey folks,

Going to source for lights and reno sstarting soon, don't want to believe whatever ID say, so better do some research.

I am very confused by the various types of lightings available and whicb brands are good and reliable.

Also I don't want such a thick false ceiling and was told by ID energy saving lights need at least 4.5" and that i cant use spot light or florescent lights

Can someone direct me to a good webstite that explains the difference between spot light, Cf light, downlight florescent light , halogen light etc etc? Else some kind soul can briefly describe to me, with photos will be good.

Thanks a million.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

due to the size and shape for the PLC downlight (or layman term are energy saving lamp), 4.5 inches are quite a comfortable depth for your ceiling.

ans your few qns first

Spot light - they are those adjustable light which use to shine on particular object eg: picture or some wall, most spot light can only use halogen lamp due to the design of the light fitting.

CF light - circular fluorescent lamp (those commonly use type of lamp in HDB which come with 22W/32W or 40W

downlight fluorescent - similar as PLC downlight but just another term layman use to call them

halogen light - these are lamp itself

There are few type of lamp available for household

PLC lamp (energy saving lamp 10W/13W/18W or 26W) commonly use for downlight or wall light

PLL lamp (energy saving lamp 7W/9W/11W/18W/24W/36W/55W)mostly for ceiling or wall light

CFL lamp (those 22W/32W or 40W) which normally install in those "hamburger" light

Halogen lamp (market sell those 12v 20W/35W or 50W)mostly ppl install for spot light fitting or dining room light

Incandescent lamp (dun recommend to you as life span are only about 1000hrs)

LED (long life span but expensive and not many light fitting come with these lamp.

of course there are other lamp available but not for household.

There are lot of lighting pic provided by the bro and sis here at other section of this forum under The light storey.

My recommendation are with the increase of PUB bill, try to go for PLC or LED if possible, avoid halogen lamp if possible.

Edited by joemit7850

due to the size and shape for the PLC downlight (or layman term are energy saving lamp), 4.5 inches are quite a comfortable depth for your ceiling.

ans your few qns first

Spot light - they are those adjustable light which use to shine on particular object eg: picture or some wall, most spot light can only use halogen lamp due to the design of the light fitting.

CF light - circular fluorescent lamp (those commonly use type of lamp in HDB which come with 22W/32W or 40W

downlight fluorescent - similar as PLC downlight but just another term layman use to call them

halogen light - these are lamp itself

There are few type of lamp available for household

PLC lamp (energy saving lamp 10W/13W/18W or 26W) commonly use for downlight or wall light

PLL lamp (energy saving lamp 7W/9W/11W/18W/24W/36W/55W)mostly for ceiling or wall light

CFL lamp (those 22W/32W or 40W) which normally install in those "hamburger" light

Halogen lamp (market sell those 12v 20W/35W or 50W)mostly ppl install for spot light fitting or dining room light

Incandescent lamp (dun recommend to you as life span are only about 1000hrs)

LED (long life span but expensive and not many light fitting come with these lamp.

of course there are other lamp available but not for household.

There are lot of lighting pic provided by the bro and sis here at other section of this forum under The light storey.

My recommendation are with the increase of PUB bill, try to go for PLC or LED if possible, avoid halogen lamp if possible.

Then is there any good lightning shop to introduce and can get the better offer and service?

Then is there any good lightning shop to introduce and can get the better offer and service?

there are few lighting company at Jln Besar or Balestier which can give good product and reasonable price, service wise still acceptable. Chan Huat (balestier 2nd floor), 168 Trading are 2 company which carry lot of light in their showroom, they re one of the main dealer who get the light directly from overseas and lot of smaller showroom are getting the lighting from them as well, that's why you can see most of them carry the same design.

My place uses

PLL lamp, 2 pieces of 36W for ceiling lamp, that's 72W.

Supposedly energy saving lamp, but 72W seems like quite a lot?

Hi folks,

Similar question, but for a ceiling lamp using 3x36W PLL.

Using the white light tubes, instead of the yellowish type (sorry, dun noe the proper terms). Seems super bright, but does the brightness equal more energy used as compared to the traditional 60W round tube? Or is that just perception?

Sorry for the noob questions.....

My place uses

PLL lamp, 2 pieces of 36W for ceiling lamp, that's 72W.

Supposedly energy saving lamp, but 72W seems like quite a lot?

Go Best Denki..

check out the tube/box of the bulbs/tubes.

There is a figure known as xx lumens and also lumens/watt.

Normal tubes produce ard 53 lumens/watt.

Extrabright tubes can hit 72 lumens/watt.

T5 can hit 90 lumens/watt.

Those philips 3U CFL is ard 55, Tornado is ard 73.

Cannot base on "look brighter", as there is factor known as colour rendering index.

Human eyes perceive white light as brighter compared to warm white, even though is same output.

China brands.. lumen output is low.

T5 even though efficiency is high, the watt is low, so is basically the same output as normal tube, but use less energy.

In the end, it all depends on your requirements, to be bright or to save energy.

I noticed PLL lights are not sold in NTUC. It costs $10.9 for a 36W tube at my neighbourhood shop. The worst thing is the PLL lights spoilt about 8 times in 3 yrs. Sometimes I can get Philips brand, which seems to last longer but depends on the current stock in the shop. I wasted close to $100 in replacing them. I am thinking of replacing all my PLL lights now. It's tiring and frustrating to always climb up the ladder to change the lights.

Old thread thou just happen to google and would like to share my experience with Philips PLL 36W tubes....

I have 14 tubes in my house and all tubes are used less then 50 hours during my 1 mth stay in my new house... In just 1 mth, 2 tubes burnt, this really makes me questioned on Philips QC.

Old thread thou just happen to google and would like to share my experience with Philips PLL 36W tubes....

I have 14 tubes in my house and all tubes are used less then 50 hours during my 1 mth stay in my new house... In just 1 mth, 2 tubes burnt, this really makes me questioned on Philips QC.

Thanks.. was just gonna make that purchase today evening.. Philips PLL lighting fixture, but reading here about short life and pain.. changed my plans..