Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edward

Rejuvenating My 3rm 30year Old Flat In Amk

Hi all,

I am so excited that my renovation has finally started today :D

Before I start, I must thank all fellow renotalk bros and sis for giving your valuable feedbacks on this forum. Though I am not a very active participant, I have learn lots from everyone here. In turn, I will also like to sure my experience thus far as well as sought feedbacks / recommendations from all of you.

Ours is a 3rm, 30 year old, original condition flat located in AMK. Below is the layout of my 3rm flat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53912514@N06/4986493391/

The contractor selection process was a really tedious one. While we haven't got a huge budget, been a kiasu Singaporean, yet we want everything cheap and good :P With our tiny $28k budget and with the intention of renovating the whole house, my wife and I started the contractor / ID hunting process by invited around 12 contractors + IDs to quote for the reno over a period of 2 weeks, just before the hungry ghost festival. (I must say that this is a SIBEI tiring process, almost everyday after work have to go to the house to meet contractors/IDs). I remember one of my friends commented that "wah lao, million dollar project also dont ask for some many quotes", which I thought we may really have over done it :P

Nevertheless, out of the 12, minus those that have priced us out, mainly the IDs and some more popular contractors, we short-listed 3 contractors. We requested for viewing of their current on-going projects, out of the three, of course, we were most impressed with our current contractor, CT Square. Largely, this was due to the professional approached they adopted. While we engaged them as contractors (I think they can do ID as well, never ask though), the boss, Daniel gave valuable advice & drawings on how we can approach the project. Additionally, the workmanship of the 2 houses renovated by my project manager, Yen, in Seng Kang as well as the nice words from the house owners certainly gave them more brownie points. So, I hope, pray and dream they can also do a good job for my house :D

After talking so much, below are the photos of my 30 year old house before the reno. I think the house is really turn off... Hahahaha... Luckily my COV is low. Too bad today got to work late, cant go down to take photos of my house :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53912514@N06/

Quotation given by my contractor :

Demolition Works - Lump Sum $2200

1. Provide labour & tools to hack off existing floor tiles for living, store & 2 bedrooms.

2. Provide labour & tools to hack off existing floor & wall tiles for kitchen & 2 bathrooms.

3. Provide labour & tools to hack off existing wall between living & kitchen.

4. Provide labour & tools to dismantle existing kitchen cabinet & bathroom's fitting.

5. Provide labour & tools to dismantle existing cabinet at store room.

6. H.D.B permit submition fee.

Masonary Works - Total $10160

1.Provide labour & raw materials to lay 60x60cm homogeneous floor tiles for living & 2 bedrooms.($3.00)

2. Provide labour & raw materials to construct L4ft full height wall to seal up store entrance.

3. Provide labour & raw materials to screed 3 in 1 water proofing cement screed & 1 additional layer of water proofing membrane for kitchen.

4. Provide labour & raw materials to lay floor tiles for kitchen.($3.00)

5. Provide labour & raw materials to lay wall tiles up to ceiling height for kitchen.($2.40)

6. Provide labour & raw materials to construct kitchen cabinet & fridge base.

7. Provide labour & raw materials to construct L3ft half height wall c/w tiles finish.

8. Provive labour & law materials to construct L6ft x H4ft half height wall.

9. Provide labour & raw materials to screed 3 in 1 water proofing cement screed & 1 additional layer of water proofing membrane for 2 bathrooms.

10. Provide labour & raw materials to lay floor tiles for 2 bathrooms.($3.00)

11. Provide labour & raw materials to lay wall tiles up to ceiling height for 2 bathrooms.($2.40)

Plumbing Works - Total $2250

1. Provide labour & materials to run s/steel cold water piping for whole unit.

2. Provide labour & materials to run s/steel hot water piping for 2 shower & 2 basin.

3. Provide labour & materials to change 3 X pvc main pipe for kitchen & 2 bathrooms.

4. Provide labour to install 2 x toilet sitting bowls. (included common squat bowl to sit bowl)

5. Provide labour to install 2 x toilet basin with tap c/w outlet pipe.

6. Provide labour to install 1 x storage heater.

7. Provide labour to install 2 x toilet accessories.

8. Provide labour to install kitchen sink & washing machine c/w outlet pipe.

Electrical Works (34 points) - Total $2010

1. 14-way DB box x 1

2. Lighting point x 14

3. Single power point x 2

4. Double power point x 12

5. TV point x 2

6. Heater point (two way) x 1

7. Air-con point x 1

8. Telephone point x 1

Tempered Glass, Work, Aluminium Door Works - Total $2010

1. Provide labour & materials to install new solid nyatoh door for main entrance.

2. Provide labour & materials to install 2no's of classic door c/w door stoper for 2 bedrooms.

3. Provide labour & materials to install 2 sets of aluminium bi-fold door for 2 bathrooms.

4. Provide labour & materials to install L6ft x H4ft 10mm tempered glass fix panel for kitchen entrance.

5. Provide labour & materials to install L3ft x H8ft 10mm tempered glass swing door for kitchen entrance.

Aluminium Grilles and Windows - Total $2200

1. Provide labour & materials to install aluminium naco window for living & bedroom 2.

2. Provide labour & materials to install aluminium casement window for kitchen & main bedroom.

3. Provide labour & materials to install aluminium louver window for 2 bathrooms.

4. Provide labour & materials to install aluminium sliding window grilles for living, kichen & 2 bedrooms.

False Ceiling Works - Total $900

1. Provide labour & materials to install false ceiling c/w light holder for living & dining.

Carpentry - Total $2855

1. Design & fabricate L13ft laminated bottom kitchen cabinet at kitchen.

*All door in ABS trimming

*Soft closing system hinges

*Full extended track for drawer set

2. Design & fabricate L6ft laminated shoe cabinet c/w cushion sitter ****.

3. Design & fabricate L6ft laminated tv console ****.

Solid Surface - Total $910

1. Provide labour & materials to install L13ft solid surface worktop for kitchen.

Other Works - Total $3260

1. Provide plastering of interior wall & ceiling for whole unit.

2. Provide painting of interior wall & ceiling for whole unit. (5 colours plus ceiling white)

3. Provide new rubbish chute.

4. Provide haulage & clear debris fee.

5. Provide chemical washing.

Edited by edward

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

By the way, can anyone teach me how to add the "Purchases to date" at the bottom of your replies? Is it automatic or you have to copy and paste each time you post?

Hi all,

I am so excited that my renovation has finally started today :D

Before I start, I must thank all fellow renotalk bros and sis for giving your valuable feedbacks on this forum. Though I am not a very active participant, I have learn lots from everyone here. In turn, I will also like to sure my experience thus far as well as sought feedbacks / recommendations from all of you.

Ours is a 3rm, 30 year old, original condition flat located in AMK. Below is the layout of my 3rm flat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53912514@N06/4986493391/

The contractor selection process was a really tedious one. While we haven't got a huge budget, been a kiasu Singaporean, yet we want everything cheap and good :P With our tiny $28k budget and with the intention of renovating the whole house, my wife and I started the contractor / ID hunting process by invited around 12 contractors + IDs to quote for the reno over a period of 2 weeks, just before the hungry ghost festival. (I must say that this is a SIBEI tiring process, almost everyday after work have to go to the house to meet contractors/IDs). I remember one of my friends commented that "wah lao, million dollar project also dont ask for some many quotes", which I thought we may really have over done it :P

Nevertheless, out of the 12, minus those that have priced us out, mainly the IDs and some more popular contractors, we short-listed 3 contractors. We requested for viewing of their current on-going projects, out of the three, of course, we were most impressed with our current contractor, CT Square. Largely, this was due to the professional approached they adopted. While we engaged them as contractors (I think they can do ID as well, never ask though), the boss, Daniel gave valuable advice & drawings on how we can approach the project. Additionally, the workmanship of the 2 houses renovated by my project manager, Yen, in Seng Kang as well as the nice words from the house owners certainly gave them more brownie points. So, I hope, pray and dream they can also do a good job for my house :D

After talking so much, below are the photos of my 30 year old house before the reno. I think the house is really turn off... Hahahaha... Luckily my COV is low. Too bad today got to work late, cant go down to take photos of my house :(

Welcome to Reno Blog. 28K budget actually able to reno whole house. Mine did with 28k not including aircon system. Yr floor plan layout is the same as mine. How much you paid for the cov? Mine is simple reno, maybe you can check out my reno blog for some budget idea. :yamseng:

Hello Edward,

Welcome to RT, looks like the number of 3-roomers are blooming!

Here's your layout;

4986493391_5299b822b9_b.jpg

Looks like a transformation is in order, great potential for the toliet :)

I share your delighted in finally choosing the ID, definitely a tedious process. Having said that, I'm sure you

would be comfortable now after doing all your homework. My budget for renovation is around your region as well, still keeping it lwithin my budget. All the best in your renovation journey.

To do all these (signatures)

>Go to my controls under the 2nd menu bar,

>on the left column under personal profile,

>click edit signatures

By the way, can anyone teach me how to add the "Purchases to date" at the bottom of your replies? Is it automatic or you have to copy and paste each time you post?

Welcome to Reno Blog. 28K budget actually able to reno whole house. Mine did with 28k not including aircon system. Yr floor plan layout is the same as mine. How much you paid for the cov? Mine is simple reno, maybe you can check out my reno blog for some budget idea. :yamseng:

Hello, just got back from work and a quick run to my place to see the progress of the hacking. The workers very fast hand fast leg, 2 and half days all the hacking done. Below are the photos of the hacked house. Sorry, the resolution not good, forget to bring my camera, had to use hp to take the pictures. Also, I have put all the photos under 1 link, I think it will be easier to access all my photos at one go.

BTW, my COV is 3k. During these tough times, I think quite lucky to be able to get at this price. I think partly because it is low floor and really near the train track. I will sure check out your blog for ideas. Thanks much :)

Edited by edward

Hello Edward,

Welcome to RT, looks like the number of 3-roomers are blooming!

Here's your layout;

4986493391_5299b822b9_b.jpg

Looks like a transformation is in order, great potential for the toliet :)

I share your delighted in finally choosing the ID, definitely a tedious process. Having said that, I'm sure you

would be comfortable now after doing all your homework. My budget for renovation is around your region as well, still keeping it lwithin my budget. All the best in your renovation journey.

To do all these (signatures)

>Go to my controls under the 2nd menu bar,

>on the left column under personal profile,

>click edit signatures

Thanks, thats really helpful, let me go and try how to do the signatures :)

Hello, just got back from work and a quick run to my place to see the progress of the hacking. The workers very fast hand fast leg, 2 and half days all the hacking done. Below are the photos of the hacked house. Sorry, the resolution not good, forget to bring my camera, had to use hp to take the pictures. Also, I have put all the photos under 1 link, I think it will be easier to access all my photos at one go.

BTW, my COV is 3k. During these tough times, I think quite lucky to be able to get at this price. I think partly because it is low floor and really near the train track. I will sure check out your blog for ideas. Thanks much :)

fantastic deal!!! 3k COV.... kio tio goo lxx :D the $ saved for COV can go into doing up a nice reno... i'm currently renoing my 3rm place oso.... haaaa

fantastic deal!!! 3k COV.... kio tio goo lxx :D the $ saved for COV can go into doing up a nice reno... i'm currently renoing my 3rm place oso.... haaaa

How much your COV? Also in AMK?

Yesterday (18 Sep 10) morning, went down to see the progress of the reno. Before reaching the house, heard some Chinese songs coming out from my house. Took a peep, saw 2 Chinese man. Initially thought from China, later on realised they are Malaysians. Kind of surprise that my contractor did not engage those Banglas / Chinese (from China). In fact, I thought it is better to use Malaysians rather than those Bangla / Chinese. The reason is my in-laws are doing HDB upgrading, the HDB contractors uses the Banglas / Chinese, mostly dont seem bothered about doing a good job. Tell them to do properly, they give all kinds of excuses. So I must credit my contractor for a good job done so far. Hope they keep up the good work :P

Anyway, below are the photos, basically, hacking all done, main sewage pipes changed and window / grills are installed. The Malaysian workers are now doing water proofing for the kitchen and bathrooms. Think from tomorrow onwards, they will be tiling. :D By the end of next week, I think I can see all my floor and wall tiles up. Sadly, I still cant think of the concept for my bedroom (low budget have to be my own ID) hahahaha..... Nvm, I think I will jio jio my contractor to give me some ideas :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53912514@N06/ ---> Look at STAGE 3 for the latest photos.

On a side note, after visiting my house, decided to go to Crawford Lane, Blk 466 for the famous Pork Noodle. Was really excited when we reached there, a long Q. I queued for 25-30mins finally got my hands on the food. Ordered a $5 noodle for myself, $4 for my wife and a $4 meat ball soup for sharing. I will have to admit that the noodles are really nice, very Q and will not stick together when dry (think is home made), but the soup that comes with the noodle is a real disappointment (not tasty). So overall, I will give it a 7.5 - 8 /10. I think the Mince Pork Noodle at the ION is better.

wow ... realise alot of 3rm usually fully hAcked ...

I think many like me bo pian, the house 3o years old and in original condition hahahaha...... In addition, no money to buy condo, so want to renovate the house to look like a condo, if possible. So the only way is to do a major overhaul to the house and pray it will turn out to be like a condo.

My cov not worth mentioning, way much higher than yours…:( in tpy.

neubie, can you please teach me how you insert all the photos onto the page itself?

Hi Edward, exciting to see another fellow 3-roomer. We have a similar flat layout and I am also at the same stage of reno as you. Just curious, are both your bedroom doors still facing each other after the hacking? Thanks for sharing...