Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
iltheas

Frameless Shower Screen Not Secure?

It may appear that only a small part of the glass is inserted into the metal AT THE TOP. But due to sloping toilet floor, or unflat/unsquare wall, the other sections of the glass maybe already max into the metal.

But what is unusual is how come the silicon is not applied to both sides. Normally, the glass sits in the middle, and silicon is applied to both sides. This is important as the silicon can allow for expansion/movement on either sides. Also.. do not underestimate the strength of silicon. Even if very little glass into metal, silicon itself can hold the glass upright.

I checked mine. Mine got this transparent looking silicon applied to sides of the frame. My glass is also not fully into the frame - only 20% into the frame. I guess should be ok.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Supply & install 1 set of 10mm thick, frameless, temepered glass, wall to wall shower screen at master bathroom.

My quotation is stated as above. The ID now is telling me to install the so called " stainless steel bar " and charges me for additional $180.

Should I pay? My concern is safety that's all. If they install stuff w/o safety then why should I pay for something that is not "safe" but I have to pay additional $180 to make it safer?

You can press him on, why wasn't that "stainless steel bar" mentioned the first time during the discussion when he/you suggested having a frameless tempered glass shower screen? Is that his first time doing something like that? He should know better if it's secured or not and whether the stainless steel bar is needed to keep it in place.

lawry,

Thanks for the advice.

I was just wondering if the so called stabilizer( stainless steel plate ) is an standard installation thingy or ... ?

If it's standard addition, I don't think I'd pay for it.

I had the same frameless shower screen, you can scroll up to the post above. I did question my ID a few times if it's stable, she said it's fine...

But it turned out otherwise, so I suggested either removing the entire shower screen or secure it by any means, for free. !!

Stainless steel plate? You mean the wall clamps?

I'm not sure what u called it.

But it's a bracket( stabilizer ) placed at the top part of the entire length of the tempered glass. It ensures it doesn't vibrate or warp excessively when you close ur doors.

I'm not sure what u called it.

But it's a bracket( stabilizer ) placed at the top part of the entire length of the tempered glass. It ensures it doesn't vibrate or warp excessively when you close ur doors.

Well, I don't know why the contractor would want to do such a hideous thing. You paid good money to get FRAMELESS tempered shower screens. With this thing running along the top of your shower screen, don't you think it spoils the entire look? It's not acceptable, you know.

Chunky, yes, that's how the stainless steel support look like, it's actually quite ugly...

It's actually the skill of the people who put up the glass that's bad.

First time when it was nicely done up, it was fine, doesn't really shake, when they replaced it with a slightly smaller piece to rectify the problem (protruding out of shower kerb) The whole thing was shaking like mad.

Why did they managed to do it nice the first time round and now like that? Gave me tons of excuses like it's industry standard, every household also like that and no one makes noise about it. Yeah Industry BAD standard more like it.

Let's hope that people doing frameless shower screen will get to read this thread, either they reconsider that design, or they ensure those clowns do a good job. $500 just for that shower screen and it's not properly done is just nonsense.

img4405xz7.th.jpg

img4406rz1.th.jpg

img4407je2.th.jpg

i believe ur this toilet does not has a conceal pipe right? brand 'A" or lots of people uses 'H" alumiuim to able them to fix the glass without opening the holes on that pc of glass. Or they just use different kind of size to play with just to enable their regular size to fit in.

The glass cannot go all the way into it is due to many reasons. I can confirm thatthe glass is not 'undersize'.

floor n wall cannot be 100 percent straight or level. glass need to adust n let it stand straight, so the gap r for glass to play with. meaning from top may be u see a 10mm gap, but below maybe 4mm only. actually for safty reason, glass cannot pushes all the way in too.

the usual way is use a 20 by 20 by 20mm U alumimium for 10mm glass n 25mm for 12mm glass.

they use 'H' alumimium will further more make it shaky. but reasure it is very safe. it wont came of as long as they uses the correct silicon n correct way to fix the alumimium.

if u hav shower dr, it will bang onto the fix glass panel ofcos it will shake. no worries.

It may appear that only a small part of the glass is inserted into the metal AT THE TOP. But due to sloping toilet floor, or unflat/unsquare wall, the other sections of the glass maybe already max into the metal.

But what is unusual is how come the silicon is not applied to both sides. Normally, the glass sits in the middle, and silicon is applied to both sides. This is important as the silicon can allow for expansion/movement on either sides. Also.. do not underestimate the strength of silicon. Even if very little glass into metal, silicon itself can hold the glass upright.

great explanation bro,

nowadays, it is glue on one side only unless there is something they need to do tricks on it. as long as water does not come out from the glass becos of one sided silicon only it is gd as when time goes by, silicon sure will turn black. (just for laugh)

some "A' installers did not even glue both sides for a glass that needs to hold another pc of glass dr. tat is dangerous. fix partition is ok but not those has a dr securing onto the fix glass.

Hi, my contractor says that they have been using normal glass for shower screen and no issues with breaking when I asked for tempered glass. Is this true? There are many news of shower screens spontaneously shattering and I’m quite concerned. How to Ensure what type of glass they are using?

The plumber after installing the piping did not even put silicon to seal the hole in the shower screen. I had to borrow the painter silicon to DIY myself.