Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
help_needed

Need Help, Paid Deposit Now How?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone have face similar case like me. We just got our keys recently and were sourcing around for an ID for our new house. We went down to expo after seeing the advertisment on papers in last month and met-up with 3 IDs there, after talking to 3 of them, we find one of them is rather good and knows his work, he persuade us to sign up with them to do a 3D drawings as well as to secure their expo package for $500 and we paid!:dancingqueen: (call us stupid, but we only found out about this forum this month!!!).

After 2 weeks, the ID came back with their proposed 3D drawings and the quotation. The quotation was around $36k (including 7% GST). We compared against another quote from another ID from expo and find their quote was competitive, lower than the other ID. By then, another exhibition was held in expo, our ID (lets call him X), told us to come down and discuss the quote, X told us that if we sign during this exhibition, he will waive the GST for us, the viola!! We paid him the 10%:P! Thinking that we could save $2k by signing now..

Then when we discovered this forum, we found their quote to be on the very high side and comments about their workmanship were lousy.. We are disheartened, in total, we had paid him near to $4k, as there is still some issues pending, no work was done yet, still at the designing stage, we are also not happy with the designs. If we want out now, is it possible to get back our deposit? Please help!:)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

deposit is deposit. Is there cancellation clause? If not, u may want to forgo the deposit or work out a smaller scale of work for the amt of deposit.

deposit is deposit. Is there cancellation clause? If not, u may want to forgo the deposit or work out a smaller scale of work for the amt of deposit.

Hi raincole, the cancellation charge state that we will need to pay for whatsoever work that has been done, something like that, did not have the terms and conditions with me. But so far no work done except drawings and selection of materials. $4k is abit too much to forgo.. But what do u mean by work out a smaller scale of work? Will they accept?

instead of doing the whole reno, maybe can ask them to do the carpentry work-new bedframe, side table, tv console or what amounting to 4k.

Some cancellation has this clause: pay 40% on the agreed work if cancelled -> to prevent u from getting another id to do the work

when u place a deposit, did you know what is the final amt you're looking at for your whole reno?

any ID that press you too hard for deposit before giving detailed quotation and some perspectives for client to see are somewhat dubious.

:unsure: looks like you're stuck. u got to move forward or forgo the $4K in total u've paid. even if u complain to case also no use liao. like raincole said, deposit is deposit and its not refundable. but how come from $500 deposit you end up paying almost $4K?

dun mind PM which ID is this?

So have u signed the contract with them???? :rolleyes:

If so, every contract have their T&C if rem correctly to forfeit the contract must paid at least 20% of the contract sum. :unsure:

but even if the ID agrees to do juz this 4K job, they have nothing much to earn. and would most likely do a sloppy job. ;)

So have u signed the contract with them???? :rolleyes:

If so, every contract have their T&C if rem correctly to forfeit the contract must paid at least 20% of the contract sum. :unsure:

20%?! for forfeit? *faint*..

but I think every ID T&C is different. thats why must read bery properly before committing!

20%?! for forfeit? *faint*..

but I think every ID T&C is different. thats why must read bery properly before committing!

That happen to me b4, the boss use the T&C threaten me when I wan to break the contract. Really no joking. :unsure:

when u place a deposit, did you know what is the final amt you're looking at for your whole reno?

any ID that press you too hard for deposit before giving detailed quotation and some perspectives for client to see are somewhat dubious.

:rolleyes: looks like you're stuck. u got to move forward or forgo the $4K in total u've paid. even if u complain to case also no use liao. like raincole said, deposit is deposit and its not refundable. but how come from $500 deposit you end up paying almost $4K?

dun mind PM which ID is this?

The ID told us to trust him, we also... u know... silly loh..

We paid bcos we were told to we can secure the exhibition special package, savings of around $2k.

Why cannot complain to case? No work done also cannot? Now, really regret, should we continue to go with this ID or forgo the $4k?

That happen to me b4, the boss use the T&C threaten me when I wan to break the contract. Really no joking. :unsure:

Then what happen in the end? You manage to break the contract?

Complain to case no use. I try that and they advise to work/negotiate a better deal with the id urself. Contract is contract and u signed *willingly*.

That time really stress out by the id and reno. Mine cancellation is 50% of the agreed work. Superglue like that.

Think you downgrade the work ba. What are the work u lookin? Maybe can remove some of the items - reduce the total reno cost. This is still able to change - the scope of work.

Complain to case no use. I try that and they advise to work/negotiate a better deal with the id urself. Contract is contract and u signed *willingly*.

That time really stress out by the id and reno. Mine cancellation is 50% of the agreed work. Superglue like that.

Think you downgrade the work ba. What are the work u lookin? Maybe can remove some of the items - reduce the total reno cost. This is still able to change - the scope of work.

Thanks for your advice, but did your ID still do a good job when you reduce the scope? Or will they do a slipshod work? this is what we are worried about. thanks.

I think raincole's idea is the best. Just downgrade. Think of stuffs that even if it's lousy wouldn't be that bad. Like paintings, movable carpentry so that u dun bear hacking cost next time u want to change it. Just downgrade to amount that u're comfortable with. Then move on to reputable ID.

Btw, mind to pm me the ID name?

Thanks for your advice, but did your ID still do a good job when you reduce the scope? Or will they do a slipshod work? this is what we are worried about. thanks.

I asked for a revise of quotation based on the new work - i remove n add items to the original quotation. This is common cos u will change ur mind abt sthing or have new ideas along the way.

This is common so dun think they will slipshod or whatever. Just be nice & courteous to them.

What if in their contract, there is no cancellation clause?

Does it mean that I have a chance to get back my deposit?

I do not wish to reveal the company name as its at no fault of them that we want to cancel, only that they are expensive, and perhaps they also spend more money "advertising".. We were also silly enough not to do enough homework and fall into their sales tactics and committed so fast. So far the service the ID provided was excellent, but it was us who do not want to pay so much and wish to cancel.

If there is really no chance in getting back the deposit, we may have to stick back to them and like raincole mentioned, reduce the scope of work..

I hope more newbies take a look and think twice before committing!