Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
marcus_tm

Wireless Router @ Home

Can anyone recommend or setup a wireless router for my new hse?

My new HDB already have those wiring & point done to all rooms , they got a central box ontop of the circuit box, inside are those ethernet points and telephone points.

Hope you guys know what i meant.

Will take a pictures soon

Thanks in advance cos i totally know nuts about this.pls advise :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

what ISP will u be using? I suggest you get a router from them and save the trouble of buying yrself if possible. bundle packages are very attractive esp now nearing Xmas, sure have promos.

if you have to buy one yrself, then chk with the service provider the recommended brands/models. I ever bought one on my own and later SingNet says not compatible!

I didnt know HDB also have ethernet points in all rooms?? U did it yr own?? Anyway, wireless routers will not need those points. Afterall, it's wireless mah :dunno: Connectivity wise, just connect yr router to the tel point can liao and of course electricity. Configure the a SSID and a encryption key. Configure yr computer to detect the SSID and enter the encryption key. That's abt it. Nowadays, routers comes with setup wizards to walk you thru the steps. I find that SingNet supplied ones are very user friendly.

Edited by latitude

Can anyone recommend or setup a wireless router for my new hse?

My new HDB already have those wiring & point done to all rooms , they got a central box ontop of the circuit box, inside are those ethernet points and telephone points.

Hope you guys know what i meant.

Will take a pictures soon

Thanks in advance cos i totally know nuts about this.pls advise :dunno:

just subscribe to singnet. problem solved.

Think will check out singnet mio plan ask them install better.

Hi Latitude ya my HDB flat has done it for us all the ethernet points, so save me all the wiring charges and ugly wiring casing, but now got wireless even better, at least i got 2in1 :P

Think will check out singnet mio plan ask them install better.

Hi Latitude ya my HDB flat has done it for us all the ethernet points, so save me all the wiring charges and ugly wiring casing, but now got wireless even better, at least i got 2in1 !!

I think most linksys router will be compatible. Just follow the installation CD provided to setup the router, very easy.

Which HDB flat is this, have ready-laid ethernet points.

yah, any wireless routers in the market will do. Remember to read up on basic wireless security to prevent pple from smooching / stealing your network packets.

you can try Dlink 655 :P this is the one i just bought after quite a lot of research on this subject - in case you see it, there are very chio looking Belkin routers but reviews have said their performance is very bad.

I think most linksys router will be compatible. Just follow the installation CD provided to setup the router, very easy.

Which HDB flat is this, have ready-laid ethernet points.

Punggol , pardon me ,i hope i didnt see wrongly cos i see a telephone socket and a data/ethernet socket in everyroom living rm & kitchen & store as well. So the switch board area i guess is something like a hub etc.

Punggol , pardon me ,i hope i didnt see wrongly cos i see a telephone socket and a data/ethernet socket in everyroom living rm & kitchen & store as well. So the switch board area i guess is something like a hub etc.

Saw your reno blog and dun think those are data/ethernet pts, just normal telephone socket, same as mine.

Dun think HDB will lay ethernet points in HDB flats, especially with wireless router at such low prices, and IDA push to have wireless access all over Singapore.

even the most expensive property in SG may not have ethernet cable built in. reason being, the speed keep going up, the cables are already obseleted the moment you installed them :sport-smiley-018:

wireless is the way to go, provided it doesn't make us too prone to cancer hehe...

I completly a IT idiot pls advise me, this is the main hub . Hope pictures helps so can help me to solve this...

HDB also provide us the ethernet cable as well

DSC01199.jpg

Close up

DSC01200.jpg

Edited by marcus_tm

Those Data sockets should be the Lan Cables. However, I think they will most probably give us Cat 5 cables, which are good for 10/100 speed. The fastest at the moment is Cat 6 which is 10/100/1000. But unless you get the correct Lan Card / Router, there is no additional point for Cat 6.

Those Data sockets should be the Lan Cables. However, I think they will most probably give us Cat 5 cables, which are good for 10/100 speed. The fastest at the moment is Cat 6 which is 10/100/1000. But unless you get the correct Lan Card / Router, there is no additional point for Cat 6.

So i if i want all my rooms to access to internet, what shold i get to setup? A router? What will be a better choice? Pls advise, Thanks

So i if i want all my rooms to access to internet, what shold i get to setup? A router? What will be a better choice? Pls advise, Thanks

just subscribe to either starhub or singnet, sometimes they do give router during promotions.

your house is indeed very special!:dunno::notti: