Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Junkay

Eat What?

Newly weds!

Which is more economical for 2? To cook urself or to eat out? How much do you spend on groceries and/or food monthly?

For those who are cooking themselves, care to share some tips how u minimize waste?

For those who eat out, tell me your weight problems (if you have).

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Newly weds!

Which is more economical for 2? To cook urself or to eat out? How much do you spend on groceries and/or food monthly?

For those who are cooking themselves, care to share some tips how u minimize waste?

since only hb and i so usually we dine out. what you meant by weight problems? what to do with that? !!

frankly speaking, i love to cook but i hate to clean up after cooking (esp the washing part). !!

since only hb and i so usually we dine out. what you meant by weight problems? what to do with that? !!

frankly speaking, i love to cook but i hate to clean up after cooking (esp the washing part). !!

Its a joke as food cooked by vendors usually high in fat and msg. Thanks for replying though.

Anyone else that cooks in? Trying to find ways to plan grocery/food shopping for 2.

Hmm... for 2 person, it is economic and more variety if eat out.

Not true that food cooked by vendors are usu. high in fat and msg, it depends on your diet.

My friend lost weight although he eats out everyday.

i like to cook as sometimes the food outside contains too much msg

i'm a little allergic to msg so if there's too much i'll feel some tingling down my spine

as for cooking for 2, do your grocery shopping on a weekend

divide the food into cooking portions before freezing them

also, try to plan what you want to eat as in the kind of dishes you want to cook

this way you'll be able to buy the necessary ingredients

one trick is to cook soup

usually the soup can drink two days, so you just need to fry some veg and a meat dish

if really don't want to go to all the trouble, cook a soup that you can add veg and meat

e.g. watercress soup where you can add fresh watercress, chai sim (mustard leaves) soup with eggs and meat slices, salted veg with duck soup, sichuan veg with chicken soup

all these soup just dump everything in and boil 30min can liao :bangwall:

thanks for the advice. But eating out on the average will cost you between 8 to 10 dollars a meal including beverages. A home cooked meal cost more than that?

Anyone monitors their food expenditure?

i like to cook as sometimes the food outside contains too much msg

i'm a little allergic to msg so if there's too much i'll feel some tingling down my spine

as for cooking for 2, do your grocery shopping on a weekend

divide the food into cooking portions before freezing them

also, try to plan what you want to eat as in the kind of dishes you want to cook

this way you'll be able to buy the necessary ingredients

one trick is to cook soup

usually the soup can drink two days, so you just need to fry some veg and a meat dish

if really don't want to go to all the trouble, cook a soup that you can add veg and meat

e.g. watercress soup where you can add fresh watercress, chai sim (mustard leaves) soup with eggs and meat slices, salted veg with duck soup, sichuan veg with chicken soup

all these soup just dump everything in and boil 30min can liao :bangwall:

Thanks applefreak, thats what i do sometimes, soup with everything good, potatoes, carrots, pork ribs, sze chuan vegetables, beans...etc...

yeah i plan my meals as to whatever is on sale on that day. yesterday had tom yam prawn (10pcs) soup, 2 kurau fish fillet and kang kong for about 7 dollars. But still wanna find out can tighten further or not.

As with dividing the portions i only do that to chicken wings, defrost and divide.

Edited by Junkay

try getting the chicken bone from supermarkets

think around $1.20 for half a chicken

it's basically the skeleton after they remove most of the meat

use that to make soup :dribble::yamseng::dunno::good:

another thing we always have is omelette

just flavour the eggs with fish sauce, add chives or french beans

nutritious and nice

some find that cooking is more expensive as they don't cook often

so once they cook got to buy garlic, onions, sauces etc

maybe that's why the total bill looks scary :yamseng:

try getting the chicken bone from supermarkets

think around $1.20 for half a chicken

it's basically the skeleton after they remove most of the meat

use that to make soup :dribble::yamseng::dunno::good:

another thing we always have is omelette

just flavour the eggs with fish sauce, add chives or french beans

nutritious and nice

some find that cooking is more expensive as they don't cook often

so once they cook got to buy garlic, onions, sauces etc

maybe that's why the total bill looks scary :yamseng:

Ooo i cook egg with chinese sausage.... good with plain porridge...

Applefreak thanks for the info ...good stuff...BUT before I digress into a cooking show...lets see if anyone else got other fantastic ideas or feedback on dining in or dining out.

Newly weds!

according to youngsters, they'll say more economical to eat out but try telling our grandparents or our parents. They'll say its much better to 'dine in'.

hmm.....quite subjective on this weight issue as it all depends. To me, I find that 'dine in' put on weight and 'dine out' the opposite. What u all think?

well if you eat mcdonalds/kfc/pizza hut every day, surely will put on weight mah.

if you cook your own meals, you have control over msg, salt, fat and portion sizes, as well as ensure a balanced meal with your carbs, proteins and greens (the few shreds of lettuce in Big mac doesn't count hor)

i don't cook on weekdays because i get home late and on weekends, well, i'd rather spend time with my baby then cook :dunno: but cooking definitely save more money UNLESS you eat at coffee shop where is it is about $5/meal. or you tar pao home, even cheaper coz drinks are free. lol.

Unfortunately for me and DH we tend to end up at swensens, delifrance..for makan. so it's a lot pricier.

on the rare occassions i cook, it's pasta all the way! or i buy the instant sauces from brahims or maggi, just add meat that kind. i stock up on frozen meat (chicken pieces, minced beef) and just make a quick run out to NTUC to buy some veges to fry in oyster sauce.

i find buying chopped garlic to be more convenient for ppl like me..it lasts long and saves on prep time and is quite cheap too. my mum would blend onions and garlic and chili herself to keep for long-term.

there is usually no or little wastage because my husband is quite efficient at clearing the plates :lol: but i'm not adverse to eating leftovers so if there is anything left it goes in the fridge for the next day.

Newly weds!

We order dinner delivery services on weekdays, save the hassle of thinking what to eat and where to eat.

So far the quality and variety is pretty ok. 3 dishes + 1 soup, $10/meal, only need to cook rice.

wahahaaa... still have pple tinking of cooking at home to safe $$...

depend wat kind of dishes u cook lar.

if buy cheap ingredient and can last longer that able to save lor. Just for example ah => simply fried cabbage with garlic only or seldom have fish or meat :notti:...

if u go for expensive ingredient and its delicious usually can eat alot and most properly will finished just one day :o.hahaha that how home cook food put u on weight.. after eat bedroom is near ZZZzz. or sit at sofa and dose off...

cooking , u too waste gas,waste water,waste time,kitchen dirty still need to mop the floor. or eventually have to mop the whole house cuz u step from kitchen to bedrooms :P...

I love to cook too. i love cooking sup esp tonic sup :notti:... at time i stew meat with taoKua and mushroom can last a week ah..everyday just cook rice lor. hehe...or top up ingredient to slow cooker :P

at times i very lazy, just simply steam everything but like steam fish with plum & salted veg in rice cooking.

conculsion;- not really able to save much if cooking at home. Depend on dishes & ingredients.

We order dinner delivery services on weekdays, save the hassle of thinking what to eat and where to eat.

So far the quality and variety is pretty ok. 3 dishes + 1 soup, $10/meal, only need to cook rice.

so u only wash rice cooker & rice bowl ah after meals?

any halal dinner delivery?

most of the time i dine out lar. Breakfast at raffles place S$4.00 Lunch at raffles place at least $5 ba. dinner at $5 ba. per day around 15 lor. just for meals only lar.

Ytd my lunch is Burger King ard $6 and today my lunch is at Olive & fig S$10.50..

seems like these days dine out is pretty ex leh.

swee swee oso will hit $4

so u only wash rice cooker & rice bowl ah after meals?

any halal dinner delivery?

We also wash fork and spoon. hahaha :notti:

We ordered from Neo Garden. They have a halal subsidiary but not sure they do halal dinner delivery or not.

We also wash fork and spoon. hahaha :bleah:

We ordered from Neo Garden. They have a halal subsidiary but not sure they do halal dinner delivery or not.

hehee. i forgot :rofl:..

cool i go check out their website thanks!