Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
David™

Dogs And Granite/marble Flooring Bad Idea ?

Hey Hey experts.....

Hi guys/gals, is it really a bad idea to use either granite of marble to floor your entire house if you have pets ? I have two dogs could someone tell me why, have heard of it has being a bad idea but still don't get the gist of it.

Thanks

David

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Granite and marble seem to be a 'live' stone.

They s.uck up water as if they are thirsty.

They drink whatever liquid you accidentally drip to their face!

hmm coz natural stone is porous and dogs aren't exactly known for fastidious toilet habits?

Hey there apple freak, thanks for your reply. I currently live in a 4 room, full granite floor with both my dogs. I was just wondering if the fear is of the urine staining the floor or the floor soaking up the urine and odouring the place. I have seen neither occur during the 4 years they have been with me.

So assuming I debunk the myth of pets staining the granite floor, would then the next fear for prospective pet owners wanting to floor their homes in granite/marble be the scratching of the floor by the pets ?

Seriously curious, and worried because me and my wife are planning our new home in a lighter shade of granite and if it really is the case of either the staining/odouring behind the bad idea theory we are kinda safe. But if it is the scratching or something else we would deff' have to settle with Homo' tiles :notti:

Thanks once again!!

you mean your dogs don't urine on the floor or you clean up their urine asap or their urine simply don't stain the floor?

it's not so much the odour but the staining esp if they do it at some obscure corner and you only found out a week later... :lol:

as for scratching the floor, your pets got to have diamonds for nails :)

marble CONFIRM will stain, granite is more resistant but stains will have to be removed asap instead of left to nature :P

you mean your dogs don't urine on the floor or you clean up their urine asap or their urine simply don't stain the floor?

it's not so much the odour but the staining esp if they do it at some obscure corner and you only found out a week later... :~

Oh, no they actually have been house broken other than the odity of accidents once awhile they normaly do not uriine out in the hall or other parts of the house. Their urine area is specific to the service balcony only but during the time they were house broken ya, they did urine on the granite but no stains were left perhaps due to the fact we normaly clean it up fast.

Your replies have helped a great deal applefreak, thank you so much at least now I get the picture.

Cheers Ya :bow:

David

just to share, i brought my dog to my new place. and he pee-ed at some corner. We didn't realise until the next day we came. After cleaning off the pee, there was a major yellow patch on our marble flooring... unfortunately.. not able to remove.

just to share, i brought my dog to my new place. and he pee-ed at some corner. We didn't realise until the next day we came. After cleaning off the pee, there was a major yellow patch on our marble flooring... unfortunately.. not able to remove.

if you don't mind trying out a method recommended by a fellow forummer

you can try this (but no one i know tried before so result unknown)

1. spread cotton wool over the affected area

2. pour bleach on the wool until soaked through

3. use cling-wrap to cover the wool so that air can't go in

4. leave it for at least a day

the wool is supposed to 'suck' the stain out from the marble

don't know how effective it is

alternatively there are professional cleaners who can do the 'sucking' with their machine but it'll cost you quite a bit :notti:

my current place is granite flooring. so far no problem with odour, staining not sure cos can't see (or not visible at least) as my flooring is in greyish colour.

Hi there !

Is the stain patch still there ? if so try this. Use a cloth slightly moistened with vinegar and rub over the stain and then wipe dry with a dry cloth and then use a cloth with warm water to wipe over the stain again. Repeat over a period of two to three weeks.

Use the vinegar sparingly though ya !

Safest way to remove blood stains from natural flooring, should do wonders for your urine patch.

Oh and NO! I never had to wash blood off my floors :P