Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

For those who are searching for home renovators: ids & RCs, here's some of the aftermath & still ongoing findings of my search for the one HR:-
  1. Start your independent research as early as & as much as you possibly can: As flat owners, the information asymmetry is skewed against us.

Information asymmetry is a situation in which one party in a transaction has more or superior information compared to another.

This often happens in transactions where the seller, ie the HRs, know more than the buyer, who is us: the flat owners, although the reverse can happen as well. Potentially, this could be a harmful situation because one party can take advantage of the other party’s lack of knowledge.

The two primary solutions to this problem are signaling by the seller and screening by the buyer.

2. Look at this way: You have to spend $XX,XXX on cosmetic surgery to beautify yourself or your most prized loved one, how much research are u willing to engage in? It's a pretty big gamble: the cost is huge, the change is somewhat permanent and damage control is expensive. Face owners, flat owners in this instance, have very much at stake.
  3. Those HRs who are mentioned on RenoTalk with favourable comments are immensely busy as they are loaded with clients, managing many ongoing projects, bombarded by incoming calls, etc. This is caused by the herd instinct - almost everyone who reads & believes approaches them. I am not convinced this is good for the individual flat owner: Will the HR be able to devote his severely limited time & effort to supervise the renovation of your house? Material selection can take up to 1 month caused by the client. Defects rectification, touch-ups can take another week or two.

To him, you may be 1 out of the 15 clients but to you, he is the only one. Responsiveness of HRs, of course, also depends on your budget: if you intend to spend $50k, I'm pretty sure they'll accept and take up your renovation; mine is too small for popular HRs as I am practical - I spend more on things that can be used & my family benefit from the long-running usage, rather than on things that are just for looking good.

That said, there are many hidden gems out there not mentioned at all on RenoTalk. It's just a matter of leveraging on the sheer search capabilities of Google, you can unearth some good, honest & experienced HRs to take care of the renovation of your $XXX,XXX purchase.

4. Lastly, armed with the distilled knowledge you gathered from your intensive research, you can do up a detailed list of renovation works required and obtain their corresponding pricing. This will expedite the process of casting your net. And save a lot of time in the process! Unless you enjoy talking to HRs & telling them in person your requirements one by one. I have tried both - I prefer email blasting. Then shortlist the selected ones for discussion.

well said DSA... When you make a choice move forward with it dun need to look back just move forward.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Anyone adjusted their bathroom flushing level?

During my defects check, found that the 2 bathroom were set to quite 'low' level and the tanks filled up to around 50% of the capacity of the tank.

So anyone think or has adjusted the levels to allow more water to be filled so that the flushing become more 'powerful?

Also, does anyone knows if just change the top cover possible? Like just buy those with 2 buttons (half flush/full flush) and replace the current full flush.

Thank you :dancingqueen:

Edited by Ideasmiths

During my defects check, found that the 2 bathroom were set to quite 'low' level and the tanks filled up to around 50% of the capacity of the tank.

So anyone think or has adjusted the levels to allow more water to be filled so that the flushing become more 'powerful?

Also, does anyone knows if just change the top cover possible? Like just buy those with 2 buttons (half flush/full flush) and replace the current full flush.

i am planning to adjust the level by 3/4 when i move in, not sure if this is possible. I will ask my contractor soon.

Just a side note, has anyone with cars realise that the carpack is not painted red slots for season parking? wonder if they will do so when the whole project is done.

Nope, the water cistern is designed to hold water to half its capacity. Unless the drainage pipe inside the WC is lowered which might not guarantee a stronger flush - strength of flush depends on speed & volume of the flushing fluid. Conservation of water usage is one of the objectives HDB issued to Surbana International Consultants. The solution is to install a pistol spray on the side of the WC nearer to the shower area, that can shoot any debris stuck on the surface of the inner bowl.

Home n Decor July 08 issue comes with a catalog of courses & workshops for interior designing & renovation, organised by the People's Association (PA). These courses are also very affordable, from $5 to $35. Lower for PA members.

Here are some examples:

1. Renovating with a Budget.

2. The ABC in interior Design/ Styling in Interior Design/ Home Trends eg. Modern, Modern Oriental, Balinese.

3. All you need to know abt beautifying your home.

4. Professional Chef’s kitchen.
The courses start from 19 Jul onwards.

PS: Please refrain from quoting the entire post when replying. Quote only relevant portions to which you are replying to. Quoting the entire post you are replying to makes the page longer and readers have to scroll more & spend more time to visually extract info they need.

Edited by DSA

... ...

PS: Please refrain from quoting the entire post when replying. Quote only relevant portions to which you are replying to. Quoting the entire post you are replying to makes the page longer and readers have to scroll more & spend more time to visually extract info they need.

absolutely agree, DSA. and i have just put it to practice (points above) :)

so, anyone signing up for the PA courses? i'm thinking of. and i managed to learn alot at the home design & decor at expo last weekend!

PUNGGOL PARK CC presents The ABC in Interior Design (C12570674)

Class Content

There are some rudimentary principles you need to know in interior design – function, aesthetics, versatility, styles, costs and working with an interior designer. You can learn from trial and error, which can result in costly mistakes, or worse, an impractical and tasteless living environment. Or you can sign up for this course and learn from an expert in the business. This course is very useful for the amateur starting out in home decorating, as well as homeowners who are thinking of a bold makeover.

Class Requirements and Remarks:

NIL

Trainer

Danny Goh Mr. Danny Goh has project management experiences in Australia and Singapore. He was nominated for the President’s Design Award in 2006. Danny, who graduated as a Bachelor of Applied Science and Architecture from Curtin University of Technology, is Executive Director of Nota Design.

Class Details

Date: 19-Jul-08 (Sat)

Day/Time: 19-Jul-08 (Sat) 02:00 PM - 03:00 PM

No. of Sessions: 1

Venue: Artoholic Gallery, 422, Joo chiat Road, Nota House Singapore 427642.

Class Size: 30 - 50

Language: ENGLISH

Certification/ Examination Type:

Nil

Vacancies: Available

Registration Closing Date:

15-Jul-08

Course Fees Members Non-Members

Class Fee $3.00 $5.00

Edited by DSA

Hi,

My water level for the 2 toilet was low at first. quite low from the pipe hole in the toilet bowl Try to adjust myself but not much of a difference. Water pressure (the power of the flush) is also low. So i call up BSC and mention to them this problem and they managed to help me increase the water level a bit. now the water level is near the pipe hole though water pressure still not strong. hope this helps.

maybe tonight i go see my current house toilet bowl for the half flush and full flush thing and see whether we can modify ours to have this feature..

:yamseng:

Hi,

My water level for the 2 toilet was low at first. quite low from the pipe hole in the toilet bowl Try to adjust myself but not much of a difference. Water pressure (the power of the flush) is also low. So i call up BSC and mention to them this problem and they managed to help me increase the water level a bit. now the water level is near the pipe hole though water pressure still not strong. hope this helps.

maybe tonight i go see my current house toilet bowl for the half flush and full flush thing and see whether we can modify ours to have this feature..

:yamseng:

if we want the water level to be higher I think if can block the pipe (or to somehow lengthen it) on the right hand side and adjust the float on the left hand side should solve it. I think the purpose of the pipe is to prevent over flowing.

Man this is dumb right?

Did subana did any squat and put put test? lol

Making the water level so low you can't clear the stuff in one flush, end up you need 2nd or maybe 3rd. End up waste more money.

At first I was not thinking of modifying the cover, just thought buy a replacement cover with those small/big flush thing and see if it works. But today I went to see and find that the 'plunger' is one piece like a T, so it makes no difference with cover change.

To get the dual flush function, gues shave ot change the organs too...illegal organs transplant lol....

Edited by Ideasmiths

guys/gals,

while i was at my place on monday, my neighbour was getting their metal gate welded. My neighbour then approach me telling me that there are cases of flats being broken into and their items stolen.

The guy that did the welding told me that it is very easy to remove the whole gate as the current joints are not being welded. These current joints are basically used to hold the gate only.

I engaged the guy to carry out welding for my gate and he charged $20 per joint. in total 3 joints are needed to secure the door. Before he could carry out the welding works, he have to remove the current joints and indeed, it took him less than 1 min to remove each joint :jawdrop:

My advise is get this welding works carried out to prevent any break-in cases among us.

Btw, i have gotten my keys and reno works is already in progress... cya guys and gals ard

pandaz - thks for the information :good: congras, welcome to renovating :)

snow_bell - congras!

Dear all,

chk if you had previously received leaflet from NEA - promoting saving energy in your current housed, there are some coupon for Aircons etc c if it is useful. If i pack earlier may had got some more discount hee hee

Edited by herbman76

guys/gals,

while i was at my place on monday, my neighbour was getting their metal gate welded. My neighbour then approach me telling me that there are cases of flats being broken into and their items stolen.

My advise is get this welding works carried out to prevent any break-in cases among us.

Btw, i have gotten my keys and reno works is already in progress... cya guys and gals ard

Wah good information.

so where is your neighbour unit? I am at 220B doing my defects check, can take a look at the welding job of your neighbour? Then I'll go back and try to take out my gate lol....

Was at the service center and Jovi told me some story too...

wow,this is bad, gona spend extra $$ for this, not able to complain this to the BSC?Or is it that all new flats are design like dat? huh?... :furious:

Edited by darcbleu