Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CutePinkElephant

Possible To Diy Whole House Painting?

Hi all,

Im just got a 3rm resale and i'm planning to DIY paint the house... There is one patch on one of the walls with the paint already peeled out and the edges are like popping out of the wall as though there are air space inside... So do i scrap the old paint off????? sounds very tedious?

I heard the paint pops out cos a sealant or something wasn't used? What should I do? Or how should i get started?

from all the previous posts, i gather that these are the steps i need to do:

1. patch and smooth the walls using wall putty

2. sand paper the walls

3. plaster the walls

4. emulsion paint (2 coats?)

5. paint (2-3 coats?)

** start with ceiling first...(and wear showercaps and gloves!)

Have I missed out on anything?

Any good brushes/rollers to recommend?

check this

DIY Painting Tips

http://www.dulux.com.sg/paintconsult/diypaintips.jsp

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
How come whole body and hair caught the paint? Never put on shower caps hehe? Was that your first house with your wife?

Whenever I lie down in my bedroom and stare at the lavendar walls, I'll feel sweet and think "Yeah those're my hubby's gift to me" :P

Don't tell me yr whole body swee swee after painting? Ceiling is the mose tedious, neck pain. Those corners has to use brush and need ladder, very "shiong". I enjoyed the process and had sense of achievement/belonging. Enamal paint lagi "shiong", especially the front door, got "crying" marks, sticky here & there.

Edited by bepgof

Hi all,

Im just got a 3rm resale and i'm planning to DIY paint the house... There is one patch on one of the walls with the paint already peeled out and the edges are like popping out of the wall as though there are air space inside... So do i scrap the old paint off????? sounds very tedious?

I heard the paint pops out cos a sealant or something wasn't used? What should I do? Or how should i get started?

from all the previous posts, i gather that these are the steps i need to do:

1. patch and smooth the walls using wall putty

2. sand paper the walls

3. plaster the walls

4. emulsion paint (2 coats?)

5. paint (2-3 coats?)

** start with ceiling first...(and wear showercaps and gloves!)

Have I missed out on anything?

Any good brushes/rollers to recommend?

You'll need to scrap out the paint that is peeling off as it is no longer adhering to the wall. It may be due to a sealer not being used or age. Depending on the aesthetic that you want, you can use putty to patch all the holes and etc and sand it after it has dried. Then apply at least 2 coats of paint. You can find out more info from the nippon website.

Hope this helps...

Hi there all,

I understand tat cost of painting can easily reach 1k++..

I looked thru Straits Times, under classified section, there's few contractors who actually quoted me ard $500 for my whole 5rm flat using ICI paint.

More interesting is dat, we can choose different colors depending on their availability.. Sounds too good to me... giving me headache now..

Anyone here actually tried those contractors? Mind sharing?

Or are there hidden costs? I asked them, its $450 nett... Still ... Amazed...

I'm amazed too.. unless they can get paints at 50% of the regular selling price... I just painted my apt again, a 3 br apt with floor area of about 110m2. The material cost is already more than $300 and I'm using Nippon paints at $45/5L.

Painting is fun and if you DIY material cost shd come to abt $400 for the whole house. Saving is abt $1k, which u can use to treat yrself to a massage and bring family out for restaurant makan.

One point to note engaging 'professional' painter is there are pro and non-pro out there. The pro are the usually the locals old birds who have been on hte job for a long time, the non-pro are the newly arrived bangla, whose paint result will not be much diff from yours. When u engage the painter, you may like to check who will be doing the actual painting.

My friend's sister ever engaged some cheap $500 painting service from the Straits Times. It was a man who picked up her call and he told her that it would be 2 experienced men doing the painting for her.

Guess what? The ones who turned up on the actual day, were two 18-year-old china ladies with no prior painting experience. You can imagine the outcome of the painting job.

better don't find painter found from Straits Times, previously i found painter from Straits Times, but the Indian painter not professional, somemore steal only 1 hp notebook bag. Service lousy with lousy quality.

Edited by dean

better don't find painter found from Straits Times, previously i found painter from Straits Times, but the Indian painter not professional, somemore steal only 1 hp notebook bag. Service lousy with lousy quality.

Sounds bad.

Anyway, I am going to paint my own house next week onwards, Any lobang that I can get the paint at a good price?

it took me 3 days just to paint my 5-rm living room with 2 coats of paint. I say it's interesting and fun but at the end of it is aching arms..haahaa

Where to paint at reasonable price? What paint did u use? Any co provide plaster/cement whole wall?

I bought a Nippon Matex at $29 and Berger sealer at $19 today. Also bought some quick dry cement 3.5 kg at around $10. Got them from a paint shop along Lavendar street which is just next to Hotel 81..I also saw they are selling tubs of plaster material and u may ask them. I was receommdned by my friends in construction line and the business is good when I ws there this morning. There is only one paint shop along the Lavender Street.

Notwithstanding the above, I was surprised to find out Homefix sold the matex at $26, cheaper than this paint shop,

I will be carrying out the repairing of the spalling concrete with quick dry cement and then with paint the sealant at my current place to test my painting skills. :P

I bought a Nippon Matex at $29 and Berger sealer at $19 today. Also bought some quick dry cement 3.5 kg at around $10. Got them from a paint shop along Lavendar street which is just next to Hotel 81..I also saw they are selling tubs of plaster material and u may ask them. I was receommdned by my friends in construction line and the business is good when I ws there this morning. There is only one paint shop along the Lavender Street.

Notwithstanding the above, I was surprised to find out Homefix sold the matex at $26, cheaper than this paint shop,

I will be carrying out the repairing of the spalling concrete with quick dry cement and then with paint the sealant at my current place to test my painting skills. :P

dry cement is for what purpose? need to mix water for dry cement? so berger sealer den nippon matex?

how to repair spalling concrete? can give address where u bought? possible to teach me how to do?

dry cement is for what purpose? need to mix water for dry cement? so berger sealer den nippon matex?

how to repair spalling concrete? can give address where u bought? possible to teach me how to do?

Quick cement originally meant for patching leaking pipe with running water. It dries with seconds or minutes(depend on water mixture)(must press & hold against it while drying). Need quick action for patchin wall. The adhersion force with cement wall will not that good unless wet the patching area first.

It "strinks" a lot when mix with water. 3.5kg (incl metallic container) might not be enough if the area is big. Better to use black cement mix with some sand (can get from playground, or seaside) for spalling wall/ceiling.

Edited by bepgof

Quick cement originally meant for patching leaking pipe with running water. It dries with seconds or minutes(depend on water mixture)(must press & hold against it while drying). Need quick action for patchin wall. The adhersion force with cement wall will not that good unless wet the patching area first.

It "strinks" a lot when mix with water. 3.5kg (incl metallic container) might not be enough if the area is big. Better to use black cement mix with some sand (can get from playground, or seaside) for spalling wall/ceiling.

lol..take sands from playground..i like that idea.

But on serious note, I am patching a small surface area, so the 3.5kg (come in packet form, so should be gross wt of 3.5 kg) should be adequate. The supplier did inform me no need to mix with sand in my instance. However, if there is exposed rebar, then you probably need to also prime the rebar before applying the quick dry cement to prevent further rusting.

I had used wall putty on the affected areas before but it flake off after a while. So I am trying this quick dry cement this time round. Wish me luck.

My next project is going to be even tougher, painting a wall that suffered water seepage before. Will be calling contractor in to use Infra red to check whether there is any more seepage before I carry out the plastering and painting.

Dry cement is supposed to be better than the wall putty. However, for serious case, u should use Begof's idea of cement with sand. Quick dry cement is only required to be mixed with water.

Anyway, u got the order right. Quick Dry Cement -> Sealer -> Nippon Matex and any other emulsion paint.

I will check the address from the receipt later and advise u the shop.

WD