Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CutePinkElephant

Possible To Diy Whole House Painting?

haha I wanted to paint my whole house myself. But when my contractor heard that he gave me a very good price for it and I took it up. Guess it's less trouble. :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have painted my EM, white washed the whole place. No joke but tink back kinda fun...

Im not interested to DIY plaster my home..but how much putty do i need? The whole house is now in rock stone finish..

do i need 2 remove existing rock stone finish?

hello, I checked with Nippon painting for my condo 3 BR.. he quoted 1.5K using supreme painting... with 5 colour option.. is this a good deal? :unsure:

it's manageable if you can afford the time and effort to pull ur stuff out and cover and then paint. painting is quite straightforward if not cracks etc to repair.

but i rather pay coz it's very tiring. my bf repainted my room in half a day. i'll assume the whole 4 room flat will take close 4-5 days if u do it yourself?

Edited by pulpy

I've finished DIY painting of my new flat.

I've bought a 20L oil-base sealer (on the advice of the shop) last week. Only managed to use less than a quarter.

We covered the walls with one coat only.

Anyone keen on the the remainder?

Please PM me.

it's manageable if you can afford the time and effort to pull ur stuff out and cover and then paint. painting is quite straightforward if not cracks etc to repair.

but i rather pay coz it's very tiring. my bf repainted my room in half a day. i'll assume the whole 4 room flat will take close 4-5 days if u do it yourself?

DIY painting is manageable if the flat is relatively new and walls are smooth. But if the walls need plastering and sanding, then it's better to get the professional painters to do it.

My hubby and I took a week (Mon to Sun nights) to finish painting our entire 4 room flat. Till now, no visitor can tell that our house isn't painted by professionals :P Must give the credit to our brushes and paint. We threw away 2 brushes that gave uneven texture finish.

Edited by forgotten

DIY painting is manageable if the flat is relatively new and walls are smooth. But if the walls need plastering and sanding, then it's better to get the professional painters to do it.

My hubby and I took a week (Mon to Sun nights) to finish painting our entire 4 room flat. Till now, no visitor can tell that our house isn't painted by professionals :P Must give the credit to our brushes and paint. We threw away 2 brushes that gave uneven texture finish.

I admire/appreciate those who do the painting DIY. I did mine in 1992, 5 rm, 3 ppl, 1 day & 1 night(till 2am) - can't forget the joy!

-package food/drink

-sleep/rest on floor

-whole body/hair got paint

Edited by bepgof

I admire/appreciate those who do the painting DIY. I did mine in 1992, 5 rm, 3 ppl, 1 day & 1 night(till 2am) - can't forget the joy!

-package food/drink

-sleep/rest on floor

-whole body/hair got paint

How come whole body and hair caught the paint? Never put on shower caps hehe? Was that your first house with your wife?

Whenever I lie down in my bedroom and stare at the lavendar walls, I'll feel sweet and think "Yeah those're my hubby's gift to me" :P

Edited by forgotten

Hi all,

Im just got a 3rm resale and i'm planning to DIY paint the house... There is one patch on one of the walls with the paint already peeled out and the edges are like popping out of the wall as though there are air space inside... So do i scrap the old paint off????? sounds very tedious?

I heard the paint pops out cos a sealant or something wasn't used? What should I do? Or how should i get started?

from all the previous posts, i gather that these are the steps i need to do:

1. patch and smooth the walls using wall putty

2. sand paper the walls

3. plaster the walls

4. emulsion paint (2 coats?)

5. paint (2-3 coats?)

** start with ceiling first...(and wear showercaps and gloves!)

Have I missed out on anything?

Any good brushes/rollers to recommend?

heheh I use only Matex, & its perfect as it only comes in White, dont need to use any of the high priced white paints, unless ur lookin at other colours.

Been doing DIY painting for all my homes for years, Matex looks the same as higher priced paints IMHO :)

Hi there all,

I understand tat cost of painting can easily reach 1k++..

I looked thru Straits Times, under classified section, there's few contractors who actually quoted me ard $500 for my whole 5rm flat using ICI paint.

More interesting is dat, we can choose different colors depending on their availability.. Sounds too good to me... giving me headache now..

Anyone here actually tried those contractors? Mind sharing?

Or are there hidden costs? I asked them, its $450 nett... Still ... Amazed...

from Straits Times, under classified section, beware 1 painter company, their price cheap but with lousy and poor quality service.