Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CutePinkElephant

Possible To Diy Whole House Painting?

Well, for my parents house, we did painting on our own. That was repaint after staying for 11 years. So roughly did 2 layers only, with the same color. And apply to living room. We did it in separate days. Like ceiling, 1 half day, 2 person. Walls, also 2 person one day. Of course, may not look as good as professionals, but to us it is acceptable, afterall we are living in it. And it involves the work of whole family of 4. A good time for family bonding.

When we moved to our new place, we did our own painting too. That took about 4 separate days for whole house, whole family involvement as well. At then we painted 3 layers for the house.

If you have the spare cash, and you are someone who is a perfectionist, go for professional. If you can accept your own workmanship, then carry on then.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Well, for my parents house, we did painting on our own. That was repaint after staying for 11 years. So roughly did 2 layers only, with the same color. And apply to living room. We did it in separate days. Like ceiling, 1 half day, 2 person. Walls, also 2 person one day. Of course, may not look as good as professionals, but to us it is acceptable, afterall we are living in it. And it involves the work of whole family of 4. A good time for family bonding.

When we moved to our new place, we did our own painting too. That took about 4 separate days for whole house, whole family involvement as well. At then we painted 3 layers for the house.

If you have the spare cash, and you are someone who is a perfectionist, go for professional. If you can accept your own workmanship, then carry on then.

Paint technology has progressed and they have made them easier and easier to paint. Don be surprised if your paint job is close to professionals. Also note, there are many contractors using banglah who are as skilled as you. You also ensured that you have original and non-over-diluted paint on your walls; u pay for Dulux premium but they give u diluted cheaper paint. Congrats on your paint job.

Savings definitely have but unless you hv the time doing it urself .floor protection is essential , you want want cleaning the paint drops all over the house. It would be a tough job!

U can try browsing through the classified ads and check out the prices from the painters . You could get a good price for their service n save you from the mess.

Savings definitely have but unless you hv the time doing it urself .floor protection is essential , you want want cleaning the paint drops all over the house. It would be a tough job!

U can try browsing through the classified ads and check out the prices from the painters . You could get a good price for their service n save you from the mess.

Sorry I meant dun want cleaning up the mess

Perhaps can use old bed sheets or giant plastic sheets to cover the floor. Prevents a lot of mess and tracking of footprints in the rooms.

for my family, my dad bought a really big banner to cover our floor from a garang guni for 20 bucks. And that solved the problem of painting. Time wise, we did it over the weekends. And it is like a family bonding session where everyone of us put in the effort, and the result is satisfactory. Reason, since it is our home, doing it ourselves will make us treasure it more. And the feeling is very different.

If you worry about the cleaning up and etc, then pay for the painting....save your headaches.

If you value the $$$ spent on engaging a pro-painter, then DIY it and save at least $1k minimum.

I DIY-ed my whole house at max cost of only $500 including paint and brushes. 5rm flat rate is about $1.5k - $1.7k minimum. even if it's uneven or etc, for what i did not pay the painters and the fact that i did it myself, i guess i won't complain too much.

Some painters i called up told me they only paint "a few" colors and provide very good rate, but like i figured...it's cos they probably bought the paint in mass-order / etc. Furthermore, there's quite a lot of cases of painters using "other" brand paints but coming in branded tins as well...you cna't tell the origin of the paint even though it may look new opening up from paint cans. For what's worth, apparnetly the garang guni man walked past my place and saw me diy-painting and offered to buy the paint cans at $3 AN EMPTY CAN!!!!! Best of it all, those with "damaged" tops due to poor prying whilst opening, he dont' want... where do you think the cans went to???

I'm DIY-ing my own house painting too! Managed to buy left-over sealers about 10L for $20.

Then the paints and brushes, all-in-all cost about $450.... total of 8 colours

Most contractor quoted me $1250 for a 4 room flat and limited to 4 - 6 colours, no sealers.

So, its definately great savings when you DIY your own painting! =)

I'm DIY-ing my own house painting too! Managed to buy left-over sealers about 10L for $20.

Then the paints and brushes, all-in-all cost about $450.... total of 8 colours

Most contractor quoted me $1250 for a 4 room flat and limited to 4 - 6 colours, no sealers.

So, its definately great savings when you DIY your own painting! =)

Hi Paladin,

I suppose the key question is, the $800 savings and the sense of satisfaction - is it worth the time and the effort and the pains taken?

I understand that the answer to that is personal to each and everyone.. I remember painting my parents house with my friends when I was a teen.. We did a horrible job.. There were patches at places we deemed not impt, eg behind the door in my room and what nots.. It was lots of fun and my parents din mind it..

I believe for people who paint their place frequently (I know a family that does every year), DIY will def be the way to go..

But for those who plan to do it once for a decade, you might wannna note that a pro(real pro) job will last that 10yrs and the extra spent, will be a nominal amount when u look at it as a yearly thing.

Times have changed. It's common for owners to engage IDs to design the decor and have custom made furniture, feature walls etc. For this category of owners are unlikely to go for DIY. Also now owners are more busy etc.

The question is which commodity you have more of time or money?

Hi Paladin,

I suppose the key question is, the $800 savings and the sense of satisfaction - is it worth the time and the effort and the pains taken?

I understand that the answer to that is personal to each and everyone.. I remember painting my parents house with my friends when I was a teen.. We did a horrible job.. There were patches at places we deemed not impt, eg behind the door in my room and what nots.. It was lots of fun and my parents din mind it..

I believe for people who paint their place frequently (I know a family that does every year), DIY will def be the way to go..

But for those who plan to do it once for a decade, you might wannna note that a pro(real pro) job will last that 10yrs and the extra spent, will be a nominal amount when u look at it as a yearly thing.

Hi, yah, its up to that individual to paint themselves or engage professionals.

But as for me, there are 2 things that i cannot win... 1) My liking for DIY and 2) Really under a tight budget for my renovation. So trying to save abit loh...

actually was rather stunned by some of these questions, cuz a lot of these problem i never encounter before:

well, regarding DIY painting, some of the most troublesome things includes, well unable to reach high areas when u are doing for terrace, and relying on extension sometimes cant produce satisfactory result.

1: i was wondering about the fact that some forumers kep asking about painting a layer of based, followed by 2-3 layers of paint. i personally have never done so. Choose a high quality paint, do not mind that it is expensive because usually u only paint twice, which will save up a lot on your : work and cost.

2: the work will greatly depends on whether the unit is occupied or not. it usually take twice to trice the effort of painting an occupied unit. moving out the furnitures proves to be much faster than painting carefully without removing the furnitures.

3: aim at small areas, since most of us are working adults, or maybe too old to work, we cant probably be thinking of having a 12 hours painting sesstion for 3 days to complete the whole house. instead divide the houe into living room, individual rooms, store room, toilet, kitchen, dining area, and such, and aim at painting one area each time. the living room, which is often the most troublesome, and biggest in area, is usualy tackle last.