Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackng1982

Carpentry Stuff @ Ikea

i am no longer buying main furniture from ikea because the furniture is v undurable, dimensions dun fit my room and v hard to maintain (eg, formicas, handles keep coming out)

i am now getting main furniture for my new house and am seeking custom furniture shops too, if anyone know any, pm me pls

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

FAKTUM kitchen cabinets from Ikea have a limited 25 years guarantee that covers defects in material and workmanship.

For worktops, sinks and taps, the duration of the guarantee is shorter at 10 years guarantee which covers defects in material and workmanship.

Would this guarantee overweigh the higher price? If one were to calculate the annual cost = $ price / 25.

note that it cover DEFECTS in material, not natural wear and tear

so sagging of shelves and moisture-bloated wood is NOT covered hor :notti:

note that it cover DEFECTS in material, not natural wear and tear

so sagging of shelves and moisture-bloated wood is NOT covered hor :notti:

Hahahaha, unlikely any manufacturer will cover issues due to wear & tear.

I bought quite a fair bit of stuff from IKEA for my new house recently. They are all solid wood cos bf insists to buy only solid wood stuff :bleah:

However, if you don't mind to do a bit of extra work, you can get pretty cheap untreated furniture there and apply a layer of lacquer later on.

Both my bf and myself like IKEA's furniture for their simple design ;)

Is it advisable to get stuff like kitchen cabinet, wardrobe and and anything wooden from Ikea?

From what i know most stuff from IKEA are DIY but how the heck are you going to DIY kitchen cabinet(assuming it's DIY too)? It seems too huge a project for a layman to work on.

And if we're talking about durability, what CAN you get from IKEA?

I am a huge Ikea fan and I swear by Ikea kitchen. Why do people think they are suppose to be cheap? I think they are affordable and you pay for what you get. Local contractors quote you by the price/ft but what you are getting are mostly just simple 2 shelves cabinet. It is a very competitive market for them and some of the workmanship (mostly depending on price) are inferior to Ikea. Most people do not realize that they are getting the bare minimum accessories until after the renovation.

I have my Ikea kitchen for about 7 years and do not have any problems at all. They are still hardy and I have no regrets. Their cheap board wood are more than adequate enough and I do not have any problems. Anyway I converted most of my shelves to drawers. (See below).

Why I like Ikea kitchen:

i) You can 'upgrade' your kitchen when you have more funds/budget later. Recently I did a kitchen makeover and I converted my fix shelves (bottom cabinet) to all drawers. The drawers are wonderful to have in term of storage and organization. Before that I always had to bent down and search for stuff (back ache). My upper cabinets used to have wooden shelves, recently I upgraded them to all glass shelves. Good thing to have, you can see what is in the upper shelves as the view is not obstructed.

ii) Despite what many think. Installing the Ikea kitchen is cheap. They do not charge you by per hole drilled, etc. The install cost is only about 5% (I think I recall from many years ago) of your entire kitchen purchase. If your kitchen purchase is $3000, the install cost is only $150. Additional cost may apply if you need to cut holes in your counter top or any major works. You can also buy only the cabinets from Ikea and get your favorite kitchen counter top from other contractors. You do not have to purchase kitchen top from Ikea.

iii) You can also upgrade your kitchen when Ikea has new technology/stuff. For example, 7 years ago, their drawers closing limits were only the normal 'thump' type. Now they have this damper attachment (only $5) that I can attach to my existing drawers ends that will cause my drawers to damp and slow down at the last few cm. New designs and stuff also come into the market every year for your Ikea kitchen. i.e. New doors, wire baskets, etc.

iv) Fuss free replacement:- If you damaged any part. Go to Ikea to get a replacement. I had one of my cabinet doors dented few months ago. For $30, I walked into Ikea and replaced it myself without having to look for contractors who are not interested to replace just one damaged door. Even if he is, he may tell you that your door laminate design is obsolete. Or what you get is a of a different tone.

v) All kitchen accessories you buy from Ikea, ie. drawers cutlery tray, tupperware, etc. fits into an Ikea kitchen.

vi) I am presently planning to change all my bottom cabinet doors as some of them has stains (white colour) and I am also bored with the look. Am looking at the new design Nexus yellow-brown series. For only about $300 plus (cheap I think), I am able to get all new doors (not new laminate only) for a 18 ft length kitchen. Best of all, I just 'click' them on myself instantly, no contractors needed.

vii) There return policy is also the best in Singapore. If you bought the wrong part or do not like what you have bought. Return it.

viii) Having an Ikea kitchen is like playing with TOYS and I love it. You can get creative, mix and match stuff and think of what you can get later. Every visit to Ikea kitchen department is fun for me and I end up buying some little things every trip.

ix) The Ikea kitchen planning department are much better now. When I purchase the kitchen 7 years ago, they did not have good planners, designers, consultants and kitchen softwares. Now I feel that they are serious in getting Ikea kitchens into peoples homes and they have more products now, i.e. sink and taps, etc.

So, for a long term investment. Can consider an Ikea kitchen. Do your kitchen in steps. If you have limited funds, get the basics. ie. Fixed wooden shelves, if you have more budget later, upgrade to wire basket or drawers.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I am not related to Ikea.

I'm considering getting Ikea FAKTUM kitchen cabinets. Would it be possible to post pictures of your Ikea FAKTUM kitchen cabinets?

How do u decide which section should have shelves, which section should have their drawers?

Also how do u get your kitchen sink, hob & hood incorporated with the kitchen cabinet? Provide their dimensions & placement positions to Ikea Kitchen Planners?

Thanks!

i think their kitchens are quite alright. The only problem is that the premade units don't have the height that i want. Other than that it's quite nice.

Ikea kitchen designs are great and like wat S7654R said its easily replaced/updated whenever u want/needed. The limitations dat I encounter are:

1. its pre-fab, so if your kitchen is a weird shape, u want to cover pipings or beams or if u want bigger drawers/shelves, u can't use their system.

2. U nid to be able to do your own layout planning, cos Ikea has only 2 kitchen planners in S'pore, waiting list is LONG. So, unless u can afford to wait, its better to do your own layout planning.

3. Co-ordination.... u hv to be the one doing it.

Price wise, its pretty standard. Installation is very affordable as they charges the standard 5% of total costs. Best of all, u can go looks at the various designs and layout as many times as u like b4 u decide on your own.

Custom made cabinets also hv its own sets of problems. Mainly are poor workmanship and things doesn't turn out as expected.

Just my 2 cents worth...

i decided against ikea kitchen coz it's more expensive than what my carpenter quoted me i.e. 6ft cabinet with all drawers (including 2 heavy duty drawers)

i paid $600 for my cabinet but ikea's cost quite a bit more :dunno:

this is what i find about ikea stuffs.

cheap ones NO GOOD

GOOD ones overpriced!!!

Cheap and GOOD applies only to smaller stuffs like metal brackets/ metal stuffs that you dont mind it rusting.

Or the $1.00 or $2.00 shower curtain - dirty just throw.

as long as you get them and pass to your carpenter before he start fabricating no problem

just an update on my sister's billy bookcase

it collapsed after just one month :bleah:

thankfully it was a gradual thing and we spot it before it came crashing down

verdict - cannot tahan heavy things

she just put magazines on the bottom two shelf and the bookcase still cannot take it :dunno:

Yes, you can cos we did :) They are not on display so you need to order with the staff at the kitchen section.

Stuff like 153degrees hinges and the soft closing hinges. For the tracks, they usually come with the drawer system. The soft-closing bit (about 10cm in length) is $10 per pair.

By the way, the Ikea drawer systems, tracks and hinges are BLUM OEM. Designed by Blum for Ikea, it says so on the side of the drawers :) And cheaper to boot :P

Can we just buy their soft-closing tracks and runners and devices but custom make our own furniture elsewhere I wonder?