Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackng1982

Carpentry Stuff @ Ikea

Is it advisable to get stuff like kitchen cabinet, wardrobe and and anything wooden from Ikea?

From what i know most stuff from IKEA are DIY but how the heck are you going to DIY kitchen cabinet(assuming it's DIY too)? It seems too huge a project for a layman to work on.

And if we're talking about durability, what CAN you get from IKEA?

Edited by jackng1982

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'd pass on IKEA ...

Small units are fine.

But their kind of wood (chipboard) for a wet environment like Kitchen? I guess not.

I reckon their kitchen cabinet is also using laminate trimming, just like what other carpenters do to our kitchen, except theirs are ready-made in factory before selling to you.

If you want to DIY, prepare to sweat loh :notti: I bought 2 huge bookshelves from IKEA and my bf took several nites and burned his weekends just to assemble them.

If you are looking for durability, expect to pay more for better wood quality. At least get pine wood, not those plywood and chipboard. IKEA sells solid wood furniture too, but more expensive lah :(

I reckon their kitchen cabinet is also using laminate trimming, just like what other carpenters do to our kitchen, except theirs are ready-made in factory before selling to you.

If you want to DIY, prepare to sweat loh :notti: I bought 2 huge bookshelves from IKEA and my bf took several nites and burned his weekends just to assemble them.

If you are looking for durability, expect to pay more for better wood quality. At least get pine wood, not those plywood and chipboard. IKEA sells solid wood furniture too, but more expensive lah :(

Yeah that i agree. IKEA have from cheap (Chipboard) to expensive (Pinewood) wood quality. Their Wardrobe and Kitchen set is nowhere cheaper then custom made by your contractors or ID's. If you look at the price tag carefully, you got to +this+that+everything the price can be quote a huge amount. So do make careful calculations before you decide to get them.

I would recommend getting the smaller and "designer" stuffs like their chairs, dining sets, mattress (for some), small stool (my favorite), etc.

:D

Yeah that was my intention too cos comparing prices i don't see that big a saving to make myself do all the work. And the thought of myself building a whole kitchen cabinet and then realising something was wrong at the very end. :jawdrop:

But there is 1 mystery i still don't quite understand is my fiancee loves going to IKEa for window-shopping even though she's aware that not everything can buy. :dunno:

But there is 1 mystery i still don't quite understand is my fiancee loves going to IKEa for window-shopping even though she's aware that not everything can buy. :dunno:

Probably go there to "steal" ideas on decorating the house. We also go there jalan jalan to get ideas once in a while.

My bf loves to go there jalan jalan too. I also don't understand why :dunno:

Everytime I say we need this or that for the house, he will say "let's go to IKEA" :bangwall:

I like jalan jalan to ikea too, because the place is very BIG and can look the furniture until u satisfied nobody care. :dancingqueen::dancingqueen: . and my family is a BIG fans of their hotdog bwawhawhahwhawh....

Haha... tat i also agree... I am a huge fan of their hotdog and all time favorite Swedish Meatballs. By the way for those whom have not been to the Tampines Ikea to makan, better go there and try. The food is nice and always packed during the weekends one. Go there try once or twice can already ah, then go over to Giant and Courts. Shop till leg cramp ah.

Hehe.... :notti:

Haha... tat i also agree... I am a huge fan of their hotdog and all time favorite Swedish Meatballs. By the way for those whom have not been to the Tampines Ikea to makan, better go there and try. The food is nice and always packed during the weekends one. Go there try once or twice can already ah, then go over to Giant and Courts. Shop till leg cramp ah.

Hehe.... :notti:

last time when stay at tampines we die die go with bus to alexandra ikea just eat the hotdog lerrr.....

1hour in bus, 5minutes hot dog, 1hour back home 8|8|

jackng1982, No you don't DIY ikea's kitchen.. 'cos ikea got its kitchen contractors and kitchen people who will go over the kitchen layout with you before confirming. Not only that, you got to pay for assembling charges for drilling holes & assembling the cabinets on top of the kitchen's price. (Note, the price differs from the actual pricing advertised for the kitchen layouts in their catalog as it goes by per feet based on your kitchen area)

We did consider one of the kitchens by ikea, the so called stainless steel kitchen cabinets BUT that is not even 100% stainless steel kitchen that is commonly found in restaurants le. The stainless steel is actually the laminate for the kitchen cabinet. 8| A bit misleading also from the picture & that its being advertised as stainless steel somemore in their catalog. Also we asked for a couple of quotation for normal laminate & stainless steel laminate.

Just like what Dracula mentioned, you got to add up quite a number of things to make up fully a kitchen, like kitchen basket, drawer, handle/knobs, pull out tray and etc etc, then add in the solid surface. It is quite ex in the end, if you compare the prices btwn the one at ikea & the one made by kitchen carpenters outside.

On the more light-hearted side, ikea got pretty 'showflat' designs that would look very good at home except that some of the things are not sturdy enough to withstand with time though. I sort of like the kitchen layouts at ikea, not to mention the accessories too. You can go for the small items like kitchen accessories for your kitchen as an example, my 2 cts worth

Thanks a lot bunbun wow so that's how the charges really add up eh? Oh and how could i forgot my wife-to-be loves their hotdog, or rather their honey-mustard -.-" But the food there is quite good really. Nowadays it seems the motive for going to IKEA seemed to have sway in other directions hahaha...

No prob, sharing what I learnt. :) Yup, it does add up to quite a bit, just a few hundreds more than those outside lor. You can ask for quotation from Ikea for the type of kitchen you have in mind based on their existing kitchen catalog, you can see how it adds up really. My jaw dropped totally when I read out the itemized quotation and did a fair comparison 'cos I thought initially, that their kitchen might be cheaper. Its all about how you feel about the pricing.

Thanks a lot bunbun wow so that's how the charges really add up eh? Oh and how could i forgot my wife-to-be loves their hotdog, or rather their honey-mustard -.-" But the food there is quite good really. Nowadays it seems the motive for going to IKEA seemed to have sway in other directions hahaha...
Edited by BunBun

pine is way too soft to be used in the kitchen

and ikea's kitchen is actually more expensive than a carpenter built one

ikea is great for getting innovative ideas, and when you don't care about quality but price :dunno: