Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackng1982

Help! Where To Put My Sofa?

Ok so my living room is in a peculiar L shape and i'm having trouble how and where to position my sofa set, coffee table and tv rack. Need some advice from forumers with some condition to apply. Thank you in advance ;D

This is the floorplan : floorplan01.jpg

Conditions : I do not want to cut through the TV area when i'm walking to the rooms, meaning the whole sofa, coffee table and TV area is isolated.

Items to consider :

The storeroom you see in the floorplan is going to be hacked off.

Average sized 3 seater L sofa

Average sized coffee table

220cm x 40cm tv rack.

If you have any other opinions feel free to advise. If you want you can add some diagrams to further explain your ideas. Thanks again~~~

Edited by jackng1982

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Jack: This plan is exactly the same one for my current house :) we hacked away the store to make the living room bigger. The layout is good.. enjoy your renovation. Show us pictures too.

hi starscream i'm still in the middle of processing loan and documents so i can't it won't be too soon before i can start playing around. I went to your blog and saw a few interesting stuff. The youtube video you did on your space planning, is that a programme available for use on the web?

And that balcony idea,are we actually allowed to build that on HDB's walls? How strong do you think it is to hold weight of 2 human beings though?

And also, since we have the same layout i presume yours is a resale flat too? What's the condition of the flat and what reno you planning to do and how much have you been quoted?

Sorry about the 101 questions. :bangwall:

@ Latitude : thanks for the idea will note it down. ;D

Edited by jackng1982

I doubt HDB will allow the concept of the balcony idea, esp since it got to have approval from the relevant authorities, probably BCA. This idea would need to be explored and tested first if it was introduced in sg here.

Some ideas of my living room layout. Or specifically the TV area. I posted this in my t-blog but just post here to see whether got people miss it. ;p

Livingroom1.jpg

Livingroom2.jpg

Livingroom3.jpg

Livingroom4.jpg

Some comments please!~ :dancingqueen:

Hi Jack. The video is a feature from Google Sketchup. The balcony is just a wacky idea but has yet to be implemented here. Layout is the same but that flat belong to my parents and the reno was done a long time back. There's no comparison given today's value of the SG Dollar and the price movement of materials.

hi starscream i'm still in the middle of processing loan and documents so i can't it won't be too soon before i can start playing around. I went to your blog and saw a few interesting stuff. The youtube video you did on your space planning, is that a programme available for use on the web?

And that balcony idea,are we actually allowed to build that on HDB's walls? How strong do you think it is to hold weight of 2 human beings though?

And also, since we have the same layout i presume yours is a resale flat too? What's the condition of the flat and what reno you planning to do and how much have you been quoted?

Sorry about the 101 questions. :bangwall:

@ Latitude : thanks for the idea will note it down. ;D

Talking about the placement of sofa.... my mother in law is a believer of fengshui but I am not....

She keeps telling me that my sofa must be against the wall..... :dunno:

But my living area is a rectangular shape... I dun like to have my TV in the centre of nowhere... no wall behind.... so she suggest putting the TV against my windows... :jawdrop:

My hubby current home is this way.... so she keep saying thats its good... I find it totally weird if I open my windows and see people walking behind my TV all the time.....(They closed their windows...)

:(

I even dreamt of her keep telling me that in the end, my husband relent and place it according to her wishes.... :bangwall:

Usually i only quite pandang about the placement of my bed. I used to sleep with my feet facing the door(something to do with coffin in fengshui) and i use to get sleepless nights. After chancing upon an article i tried changing the direction of my bed and it did help put an end to my sleepless nights.

Fengshui to me is just a reference rather than superstition. I'd prefer more on practicability. :D

Some ideas of my living room layout. Or specifically the TV area. I posted this in my t-blog but just post here to see whether got people miss it. ;p

Livingroom1.jpg

This layout, u will "see the windows" in you tv.

Talking about the placement of sofa.... my mother in law is a believer of fengshui but I am not....

She keeps telling me that my sofa must be against the wall..... :dunno:

But my living area is a rectangular shape... I dun like to have my TV in the centre of nowhere... no wall behind.... so she suggest putting the TV against my windows... :jawdrop:

My hubby current home is this way.... so she keep saying thats its good... I find it totally weird if I open my windows and see people walking behind my TV all the time.....(They closed their windows...)

:(

I even dreamt of her keep telling me that in the end, my husband relent and place it according to her wishes.... :bangwall:

How about having your sofa against a nicely done partition (even a small one will do) instead of a wall? That may not please your mother in law 100%, but at least 70%, I guess.

Livingroom3.jpg

hmm..for this design, meaning that u dont intend to do a feature wall right? so just place the tv on the console? not so ideal cos tv is near the window. if u forgot to close the window and it rain heavily, then chum..

If u do feature wall, its not possible because the feature wall is so small. Putting the tv at that small low feature wall is not so ideal..

also..curtain at that area is another little problem..

(1) (3) (4) are not good, coz it's either u will see the glaring light from the window or the reflection from the window.

(2) is ok, but I would suggest a "modified (2)". The sofa takes the current place of green TV. The TV place on the opposite wall. As below:

98002010fr7.png

Edited by hihihi

(1) (3) (4) are not good, coz it's either u will see the glaring light from the window or the reflection from the window.

(2) is ok, but I would suggest a "modified (2)". The sofa takes the current place of green TV. The TV place on the opposite wall. As below:

98002010fr7.png

let's say if i want my entertainment area to be isolated? means no people cutting through when others watch TV or play games?

hmm..for this design, meaning that u dont intend to do a feature wall right? so just place the tv on the console? not so ideal cos tv is near the window. if u forgot to close the window and it rain heavily, then chum..

If u do feature wall, its not possible because the feature wall is so small. Putting the tv at that small low feature wall is not so ideal..

also..curtain at that area is another little problem..

Actually the feature wall is meant to serve as a rough guideline. I'll post some more 3d rendering of the entertainment area cos i've ordered and KIV the 3 pieces(console,coffee table, sofa) already. Now in camp can't access my Google Sketchup :dunno:

In addition i'm contemplating getting a japanese shoji door or a shoji divider as a backing for my console since i'm going with a bit of japanese theme for my house. :notti: