Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
frostyflake

False Ceiling For Hdb Kitchen

I would like to do up a false ceiling for my kitchen, but my ID suggested that it may not be practical as it will become yellowish from the cooking and fumes. :bangwall: But I like it, and those condo units i dun see any problem with stains on the ceiling.

Anyone who has done a false ceiling in their kitchen in hdb flats? any comments or feedback? Would you recommend me to go ahead?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

What's the difference whether or not it's a condo or HDB flat? We have a condo and it comes standard with a false ceiling (to hide all the unsightly pipes, etc). Unless you're going to do MAJOR HEAVY cooking (i.e. zi char stall type of cooking), I don't think it's a problem. And honestly, if it gets dirty, just paint over it again! :dancingqueen:

I would like to do up a false ceiling for my kitchen, but my ID suggested that it may not be practical as it will become yellowish from the cooking and fumes. :bangwall: But I like it, and those condo units i dun see any problem with stains on the ceiling.

Normal ceiling will also become yellowish mah.

False ceiling made of plywood last time got ppl do, but is no longer done for the following reasons.

Is heavy, the structure holding up the ceiling cannot use the normal galvanised strip.

Holes cannot patch by joint compound, due to different contraction rates. Joint compound and normal plasterboard material is almost same material, with same characteristics.

Plywood is much harder to work with compared to plasterboard. Harder to cut out holes for lights for example.

Plasterboard also can achieve a smoother finish compared to plywood.

Plywood also costs a lot more these days.

Those who do it these days.. normally is only a small area, so ask the carpentry ppl do, rather than call whole team of false ceiling ppl come and do small area.

Is condo ceiling generally higher than HDB?

I think so. Just as the ceiling is higher in a landed property as compared to a high-rise private apartment (condo or otherwise).

Hi, I was told by my Id that false ceiling over kitchen area is not allowed by hdb. Is that true?

No idea, probably is for the minimum height thingy? But alot of pple also do alot of illegal works in their house e.g conceal wiring etc.

I thought it's allowed as I remembered seeing instructions for it mentioned in the HDB Reno Guide. You may want to check again. The guide is available at HBD's website.

For old resale units, it might not be advisable because of potential spalling concrete problem.

:yamseng:

yes it's allowed now.. but i guess most IDs still didn't realise that, cos all the IDs/contractors i've spoken to all said cannot. I'm the one who pointed out to them the HDB page that says it's allowed.