Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I got Darwin [bukit batok branch] to do my reno last Oct 2012. Even in the midst of reno there were problems. I regret not getting the manager involved then as I want the reno to go smooth and not create issues for the proj manager. but my good actions was not appreciated.

during reno..period

- cabinet hinges turned rusty the next day. Thank God I saw them, and got them

- the painting work was not neat and got them to touch it up

- the kitchen was built so low and it was unsafe. few people got hurt. I had to pay $600 to get it redone by Darwin as they blamed me for asking them to built a microwave oven shelf.

- the kitchen top , supposedly a free gift , looked non glossy and the black top always had layer of white dusty look. when I borught it up, I was told, it was supposed to be like that.

3 mths later,

the kitchen sink, started changing colour. it had patches of lighter and dark colours. I was told I must have used some strong chemical stuff. Why would I do that?

the final straw came, when the bathroom sink gave way. I contacted the manager directly and he got a plumber to repair it. I was told someone must have a cut metal gadget. again excuse.

When I brought up the kitchen sink and top issues, he said, he can't do anything about it as the its the subconractors who did them.

My complaint letter with photos was emailed directly to the director a month ago. till now no response from them.

Be wary when u book them.

hi there,

As a new flat owner, and wen i i read all these negative comments from darwin i was shock

Went over to their show room , met edwin ( e most senior der)

and i gt e best quotation so far.

he admitted dat most id from darwin is junior.

i gt his contact thru a fren i basically I'm impressed with her reno.

so mayb in e future if any1 wants to go to darwin, try to look fr edwin.

Hi guys,

Not to defend the ID too much, but they are also human. Renovations is a very nitty gritty thing by its nature. Don't expect everything to be smooth smooth. There will sure be crap along the way.

I think the important fact to see if the ID is sincere about the job or not. Got mistakes or defects, I can forgive as long as they rectify without extra cost to me...but if the guy got attitude problem, even if workmanship is ok, that's when I would blow up. furious.gif

I am not from darwin or whatever. Just some of my thoughts on the issue

how come 3 years olny? most IDs (like mine) give 5 years. Anyway, u may want to expand your ID search. Mine personally is ok. U can call in their office and look for him if u want. good luck!

@steelze: Hey, thanks!! Your place looks nice. I'll pay a visit to Summit Design soon.

Oh my gawd, that sucks..

I am about to get the keys to my new 5rm premium flat and so far the only ID I seriously visited is Darwin Interior.

Anyone heard of Aric? He seems like a sincere fellow and had a good first impression of him, but the comments here scare the crap out of me.

The ID promises 3 years warranty.

how come 3 years olny? most IDs (like mine) give 5 years. Anyway, u may want to expand your ID search. Mine personally is ok. U can call in their office and look for him if u want. good luck!

my id is also darwin Jacky.my renovation is horrible. lots of defects. no protection of flooring, doors everywhere was damaged. floor tiles, wall tiles chip off. wrongly drill my bathroom wall and hdb say no hacking somemore. very angry with the entire reno.was thinking to file a case to CASE.

Oh my gawd, that sucks..

I am about to get the keys to my new 5rm premium flat and so far the only ID I seriously visited is Darwin Interior.

Anyone heard of Aric? He seems like a sincere fellow and had a good first impression of him, but the comments here scare the crap out of me.

The ID promises 3 years warranty.

Hi,

I am amidst searching for the suitable ID company. I tried to get many detailed quotes but what I got is ridicoulos. The only one prompt and in detail quote I got so far is from Darwin interior/Joseline. So I've been giving it a thought if I should really go with them. I'd like anybody to comment on their workmanship/quality!?

I don't wan't to buy a package and I am pretty sure about what I want already. Furthermore don't care about the kitchen, we'll be doing the kitchen (open kitchen concept kitchen & dining) with a separate designer in which I have great confidence. So I won't need a lot of their design.

Just want to know how their workers are (will have a lot of haking)

Please let me know your thoughts, we'll be getting the key soon!

Thanks a lot!!

my id is also darwin Jacky.my renovation is horrible. lots of defects. no protection of flooring, doors everywhere was damaged. floor tiles, wall tiles chip off. wrongly drill my bathroom wall and hdb say no hacking somemore. very angry with the entire reno.was thinking to file a case to CASE.

hi iladyrain, sorry for hearing such happening. agreed with you that before confirmation, all IDs reply sms /email /answer calls super promptly. mine halfway reno. i sms /email IDs, he bo chap me. 1 request have to use all 3 mediums (sms, email and finally call) before he will acknownledge. super tulan also.

i nearly signed with darwin (jacky teo) for my reno. not sure who is ur ID.

I think Darwin is one of the featured ID in ch8 TV on last Tuesday......

attitudes of some ID/contractors sometimes change drastically pre and post contract.... pricing alone will never reveal the true colors of their mentality/attitudes. perhaps they are really busy with other projects, which some feedback during reno take a lower priority than others...

you having problem with ur ID? tell him to buck up, else payment delay lor....

hi iladyrain, sorry for hearing such happening. agreed with you that before confirmation, all IDs reply sms /email /answer calls super promptly. mine halfway reno. i sms /email IDs, he bo chap me. 1 request have to use all 3 mediums (sms, email and finally call) before he will acknownledge. super tulan also.

i nearly signed with darwin (jacky teo) for my reno. not sure who is ur ID.

Edited by steelze

Hi Alvin, Can you pm the quote? if you are comfortable with that... as im just doing up 2 toilets as well..

want to compare with other quotes i got.

thanks in advance

Guys, just becareful with Darwin, i'm currently doing my reno with them - such a crappy reno id i'm getting..intially look so nice & patient but now all the BS is coming out...all the time chasing for money..cut throat...haiz...sick of them now...just want to shoot a big complaint to their boss..

my suggestion to all who're thinking of engaging such so-called ID firms vs truly-qualified Interior Designers, do re-consider.

I gave my floorplan and my desired concept to them as well as a few other designers, and I must say, design-wise, as well as price-wise, the designers were much better than the contractors.

i define these firms as contractors as most of them are actually not trained designers. they didn't go to art school to study interior designing. what they have is based on what they've accumulated through their years working in the renovation industry. you can tell the difference between a designer and a contractor when you pose them a design-detailing question. a designer has the know-how to detail a design such that form and function are equally emphasized and the final result is impressive. a typical contractor's solution will more likely be function-over-form, and the eventual design will have a distinct "contractor" look and feel.

just to share, 2 contractors quoted me close to $35k to do up my 3-rm flat, with a very very ordinary layout with no outstanding design theme or concept.

2 IDs quoted me $30-$32k, with 1 being able to create a whole lot more use-able space with a very streamlined layout while the other came up with a design that he felt was good enough for his firm to showcase in interior design magazines. he designed the entrance to my place to be very un-HDB, and had a very private property, up-market look to it.

when i look at all those information before me, the simple question to ask myself is: "why would I not want to take advantage of the IDs' design knowledge and flair, especially when it won't cost me more? in fact, it'll cost me less."

Hi, a wonderful day to you! Had been sitting in front of the desktop for almost a whole afternoon! So decided to end my day with the forum instead... Am wondering if you are able to PM me your ID's contact no? I am in the midst of searching for a potential ID to renovate my resale flat (5rm) at Woodland district but am in suspense on the procedures, pricing rate, concepts, etc? So, would like to seek anyone here who could provide any relevant information for me? Thanks!

Dean

Hi all, i plan to start renov works for my resale flat in september, i plan to use Darwin (bukit batok) anyone has recently completed works with them this year? how is the workmanship & service? need help & advise...their package appears quite comprehensive

Hi,

Did you sign up with Darwin?

Care to share your experiences with Darwin.