Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

my suggestion to all who're thinking of engaging such so-called ID firms vs truly-qualified Interior Designers, do re-consider.

I gave my floorplan and my desired concept to them as well as a few other designers, and I must say, design-wise, as well as price-wise, the designers were much better than the contractors.

i define these firms as contractors as most of them are actually not trained designers. they didn't go to art school to study interior designing. what they have is based on what they've accumulated through their years working in the renovation industry. you can tell the difference between a designer and a contractor when you pose them a design-detailing question. a designer has the know-how to detail a design such that form and function are equally emphasized and the final result is impressive. a typical contractor's solution will more likely be function-over-form, and the eventual design will have a distinct "contractor" look and feel.

just to share, 2 contractors quoted me close to $35k to do up my 3-rm flat, with a very very ordinary layout with no outstanding design theme or concept.

2 IDs quoted me $30-$32k, with 1 being able to create a whole lot more use-able space with a very streamlined layout while the other came up with a design that he felt was good enough for his firm to showcase in interior design magazines. he designed the entrance to my place to be very un-HDB, and had a very private property, up-market look to it.

when i look at all those information before me, the simple question to ask myself is: "why would I not want to take advantage of the IDs' design knowledge and flair, especially when it won't cost me more? in fact, it'll cost me less."

Edited by manutd1972

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
When was your renovation? the total cost S$15K including kitchen cabinets ?

we also want to do 2 toilets & kitchen, the cost already up to $20K ++

it doesn't include other misc works..

Hi all, i plan to start renov works for my resale flat in september, i plan to use Darwin (bukit batok) anyone has recently completed works with them this year? how is the workmanship & service? need help & advise...their package appears quite comprehensive

Edited by red_kitty_29

hi all,

i took Darwin too for my new home. But we renovated the kitchen & 2 toilets only. We also hack the balcony sliding doors. All in total cost us $15K for a resale 5room flat. Overall, im quite happy with their work. :)

When was your renovation? the total cost S$15K including kitchen cabinets ?

we also want to do 2 toilets & kitchen, the cost already up to $20K ++

it doesn't include other misc works..

hi any pics to see?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, i wanted to put up the before & after pic of the reno but i forgotten where i kept the kitchen photos. Anw, here are the photos of my toilet & kitchen. These photos are taken b4 i shift in.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/im...en/DSCF0234.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/im...en/DSCF0374.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/im...en/DSCF0376.jpg

Thanks!

went down to Darwin today.

Served by young chap.

First impression is no good, cause he doesnt seem so experienced.

Quoted price is so so. But seems lots of hidden cost.

I dont think will proceed with them.

i have received a quote from Darwin and their pricing seems ok to me but i am worried on their workmanship. anyone can share their experiences?

seems to have mix feeling abt this ID...

i took darwin for my hse..i did 2 toilets & kitchen..overall i find the workmanship ok..been almost a yr,no prob so far..

i have received a quote from Darwin and their pricing seems ok to me but i am worried on their workmanship. anyone can share their experiences?

have u considered the GST for the quote? some IDs don't include GST, some does.

would make a difference.I have seen their workman ship. nothing really to boast about

actually went down to bukit batok darwin. but the lady who served me seems very inexperience. :unsure: therefore not shortlisting them.

I am looking for a ID, have shortlised summit design, * and darwin. Darwin seems to be more competitive on the pricing, any comments on Darwins?

I seems to read good and bad things on them.

Have anyone engaged them lately ?

hi all,

i took Darwin too for my new home. But we renovated the kitchen & 2 toilets only. We also hack the balcony sliding doors. All in total cost us $15K for a resale 5room flat. Overall, im quite happy with their work. :)

hi all,

yep. quotations definitely have to be carefully, whether Darwin or not.

so many things to take note. so many things to consider.

anyway, i decide to drop darwin and go for another ID liao.

hope the decision prove me right

I think in terms of services, there are always black sheep in the company.

So can't really generalise like dat.

I'm now talking to 1 of the ID from Darwin. Pretty ok guy, but I'm quite hesistant about their carpentry work.

Ya..... got to be very careful with the quotation .... alot of missing items .... some hidden purposely... some forgotten....

and ultimately, someone has to pay for it .... but normally... no one wants to pay .... lol

aiyo got bad experiences w dawin- snobbish , service low.

do safeguard own interest. some really cut throat

I think in terms of services, there are always black sheep in the company.

So can't really generalise like dat.

I'm now talking to 1 of the ID from Darwin. Pretty ok guy, but I'm quite hesistant about their carpentry work.

Hi everyone,

I just met up with Edmund @ the lavender showroom.

Was pretty satisfied with the way he handled things, especially when he was the only one so far to actually propose a decent layout for my kitchen..

i.e. there's a stupid beam protruding out somewhere in the middle of the length of the kitchen.

Based on the previous quotation i received from them, Darwin isn't that expensive compared to others..

Furthermore, there's currently free gifts of a rinnai hob/hood , 10ft long kitchen solid top and a panasonic system 3 non inverter.

Might actually sign up with them if the revised quote is good.

Good luck to everyone out there sourcing for IDs/contractors :D

Hi Louischen,

Would u dont mind share the reno cost with us?

Edited by Pretty99