Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yokoyoko

Energy Saving Lights

Hey henry and all,

mind sharing where u bot all the energy saving lights? or any light shops will have rite.. haven went to any 1 yet.. soon... any pointers?

TIA :)

If u just wanna buy lamps, most DIY, NTUC, Carrefour etc sells reliable brands like Osram & Philips. But if u r talking about complete fittings for your new home, then u really got to walk around to do ur own homework.

Most lighting shops are located in Jalan Besar, Balestier, Geylang etc. Most of them carry Philips & Osram as long as you ask for it.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
ntuc, carrefour, even best denki....

If u just wanna buy lamps, most DIY, NTUC, Carrefour etc sells reliable brands like Osram & Philips. But if u r talking about complete fittings for your new home, then u really got to walk around to do ur own homework.

Most lighting shops are located in Jalan Besar, Balestier, Geylang etc. Most of them carry Philips & Osram as long as you ask for it.

Yoz.. thanks.. i roughly noe where le... :)

has anyone seen or heard of EcoBulb in Singapore? Or are they not suitable for local use? Its average service life is 10,000 hours & its Power Factor is 0.93.

has anyone seen or heard of EcoBulb in Singapore? Or are they not suitable for local use? Its average service life is 10,000 hours & its Power Factor is 0.93.

Most fluorescent lamp without integrated control gear can last 10K-12K hours.

As for most reliable brand's energy saving lamp, it can last 8k hours.

If you on the lamps 7hours daily (6pm-1am), a 8k hours lamp should last you around 3 years. And how much will a energy saving lamp cost you? Less than $10 which means each year only cost $3.33 or $0.009 per day..... :)

But for LCD TV, we buy a few thousands but never ask or concern so much... tats us lah.... cos i also same same... ha ha ha :)

TV programmes in standard resolution looks so bad on LCD TV that I won't even consider it. Classic example of a technology that performs worse than previous tech yet costs much more. I'm just not part of the herd.

Anyway, getting more energy efficient bulbs is one of tiniest ways to reduce energy consumption & indirectly carbon dioxide production.

Just for info..

i bought my 5W twister energy saving light at bukit merah central @ $4 or $4.5 (cant remember). Saw it at ntuc selling at near $6. Duno the shop name but its v near CK-dept store

5W, the lowest energy saving light is v bright already lo

Most fluorescent lamp without integrated control gear can last 10K-12K hours.

As for most reliable brand's energy saving lamp, it can last 8k hours.

If you on the lamps 7hours daily (6pm-1am), a 8k hours lamp should last you around 3 years. And how much will a energy saving lamp cost you? Less than $10 which means each year only cost $3.33 or $0.009 per day..... :)

But for LCD TV, we buy a few thousands but never ask or concern so much... tats us lah.... cos i also same same... ha ha ha :)

Aiyoh, who ask you to want big big screen & pay few thousands for that LCD TV ah.

I spent < $1K for my LCD TV hor :notti:

Hi gents and gals,

Anyone gt buy before energy saving lights and is it really that energy saving?

Any pros and cons?

Please feedback on this.

Cos now electricity is on the rise.. :bangwall:

NCC guide on energy saving

Thanks!!

Pros:

1. yep, energy saving bulbs (CFL) are great replacement for those conventional (incandescent) lights you use frequently. normally the packaging of the energy saving bulb will state the equivalent incandescent light bulb it can replace.

for example, 60W - 15W means that the 15W CFL has the same brightness as a 60W incandescent bulb. this means a 400% reduction in energy consumption.

2. they run cooler than incandescent bulbs.

3. the last much longer than incandescents.

Cons:

1. dispose of all fluorescent tubes carefully. they contain small amount of mercury (a few mg), so be careful not to break them during disposal.

2. much more expensive. an equivalent incandescent lamp can cost less than $1 compared to CFLs that costs at least $5(??). so in terms of cost, for a seldom used lamp (eg storeroom or balcony lamp), a normal light bulb should be cheaper.

3. CFLs cannot be dimmed directly. altho there are now ballasts for CFLs that allow dimming... :good:

just to add. the spirals in the lamp is to increase brightness i think. the longer the tube, the higher the light output. the spirals allow a longer tube to be squeezed into a small package.

Read links below if u r keen :)

Bottomline.. these bulbs r better for de enviro bcoz they use less wattage for similar light, can last yrs longer than incandescent bulbs as there is no filament to burn out and have less mercury than other CFB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/eca...logs/p-5771.pdf

I reckon most of us more or less are aware of this.

I used all energy saving light bulbs for my house. But to my parents, they think that the high cost of buying an energy saving bulb, though uses lesser wattage & longer lifespan, cannot justify the cheap cost of an incandescent bulb. To them, buying a few incandescent bulbs = one energy saving bulb.

Hi gents and gals,

Anyone gt buy before energy saving lights and is it really that energy saving?

Any pros and cons?

Please feedback on this.

Cos now electricity is on the rise.. :bangwall:

NCC guide on energy saving

Thanks!!

we need to be careful here about using energy saving bulbs.

most of us like to do false ceiling and install 10-15 such bulbs.

and we have the habit of switching many bulbs at the same time

imagine one bulb is 10W-15W. if u switch on just 6 bulbs. that's how many watts already? 60W-90W total.

so isn't it higher than using a normal 60W flourecent lamp?

so what energy saving are we talking abt?

in order to really SAVE energy we need to use lesser wattage each time.

it is only energy saving if we use just one 10-15W bulb each time. But in the hall, do you think u will use just 1 bulb?

so, let's not get caught in the wrong concept.

we need to be careful here about using energy saving bulbs.

most of us like to do false ceiling and install 10-15 such bulbs.

and we have the habit of switching many bulbs at the same time

imagine one bulb is 10W-15W. if u switch on just 6 bulbs. that's how many watts already? 60W-90W total.

so isn't it higher than using a normal 60W flourecent lamp?

so what energy saving are we talking abt?

in order to really SAVE energy we need to use lesser wattage each time.

it is only energy saving if we use just one 10-15W bulb each time. But in the hall, do you think u will use just 1 bulb?

so, let's not get caught in the wrong concept.

Well totally agreed with you. Actually find downlight (especially small square type) the most in efficient bcos the light beam angle very narrow which means we will have to put more to cover the whole room. Tats y i choose to have cove lights with very minimum downlight (for asthetic purpose) for my living rooms. :)

Well totally agreed with you. Actually find downlight (especially small square type) the most in efficient bcos the light beam angle very narrow which means we will have to put more to cover the whole room. Tats y i choose to have cove lights with very minimum downlight (for asthetic purpose) for my living rooms. :)

yeah, alot of ppl get fooled by marketing gimminks and wrong info given.

for example, one of the forum user posted his living hall in this thread, with all the downlights switched on.... that's not energy saving!!!

how many bulbs are there in the pic already? 8 or 10 bulbs already.... and that's how many watts used?

120W-150W!!!!

it's better that he just fixed one simple uncle lamp in the hall and used it.

Maybe this guy installed 5W energy saving bulb for each downlight leh :unsure:

Anyway, I have 2 light points in my living room & 2 in my kitchen. All are 23W energy saving bulbs. At any one time, I only switch on 1 bulb. It is more than enough to bright up most area in the room & for me to read newspaper under it. I have long living room & kitchen.

The next time these bulbs burn off, I might even downgrade to 20W only.