Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xinyi_reiko

Booklice

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Any idea how to get rid of Booklice?? They always appear on my walls.. getting tired of catching them.. i thinking of calling up the pest control.. :bangwall:

reiko. did u solved it? can help me??

Hi, my previous place had this problem. We got pest control people to fumigate and we repainted the walls with anfi-fungal paint. I guess my place was a bit wetter because we didn't have lots of sunlight coming in. Once you get rid of the mold, you will get rid of the booklice.

Hi, my previous place had this problem. We got pest control people to fumigate and we repainted the walls with anfi-fungal paint. I guess my place was a bit wetter because we didn't have lots of sunlight coming in. Once you get rid of the mold, you will get rid of the booklice.

Hi Pinky,

may i know how the pest control people fumigate ? What's the anti-fungal paint that you used ? Dulux-All paint can solve it ?

Hi guys,

I think the crux of the problem is airing your place. I used to shut all windows in my house when we went for work. that why there is large amount of moisture built up within the house.

Hope you guys air more often. thanks.

Has anyone managed to remove these pests completely?

They're in my kitchen cupboards (and occasionally my MBR) and I'm absolutely certain we have no mold because we've cleaned the kitchen cabinets with extremely strong concentrations of dettol and have a dehumidifier working OT there.

For now, they're found in bigger numbers in my kitchen, and smaller numbers in my MBR, which is odd considering my MBR is almost always air-conditioned. They're not found in other rooms and I hope it stays that way until i eliminate all of them.

Any suggestions?

Hihi,

I suspected I am having the same problem...due to high humidity in my house and a decaying cabinet. Fixed the decaying cabinet but the insects still doesnt go away.

Is this called booklice or springtails? Can't differentiate btw the 2...

Some websites were suggesting springtails spring and booklice don't jump, but that's relative sometimes.

I'm also not quite sure, now that you point out they could be springtails since I've seen some that look like bedbugs (but were confirmed to not be bedbugs). After checking out some of the pics, I think they resemble globular springtails, which is interesting. Also, I don't think booklice have that wide a variety, and I've tried to squash a few of them and found that some actually jump, so either I have springtails, or if I'm really suay, I have springtails AND booklice.

But I think the extermination method is similar - keep the areas dry, eliminate mould etc. Do you have any type of soil, leaky pipes or environment where springtails can grow? Springtails have lairs where they grow, quite unlike booklice. And the thing about booklice is that all of them are female and are born with 50+ eggs, unlike springtails, which need to mate. lf you can find out where the springtails are hiding, you can exterminate them.

For these creatures (either booklice or springtails), I found a pyrethrum-based powder which can be purchased in Home DIY to be quite effective, it's found in the horticulture section (not the insecticide section). The only catch is that I had to quite liberally dust my ENTIRE house with it, to the extent that my kitchen was unserviceable for a period of 2 weeks (I recommend 4 weeks if possible) as the powder was everywhere, on the plates, pots, pans, shelves, even some of the food packets. We extensively cleaned the kitchen up thereafter and we haven't seen one since. They have, however, shifted to the MBR so my MBR is now a toxic chamber.

Edited by Kerio

I have seen many apartments with these tiny bugs on the walls (0.5mm),

and according to the pest controllers, they are there because their food source is the mold on the walls.

BTW, the protein in our household paint is a food source for molds.