Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kensanctuary

Baby Detected, What Next?

HiHi, my wife just "detected" with baby, what is the next step? Yesterday she consult a doc at poly, and have 7 weeks already :unsure:

1. Find the maternity package & compare, but when to apply for it?

2. when to buy pregnant clothes etc?

3. When to buy baby products?

Pls advice this "confuse" dad :dunno:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

congrats to u and yr wife :)

1. suggest u ask friends or relatives for recommendation of gynae. Or u can surf Singaporemotherhood.com website to check on recommendations by the forummer.

2. no need to rush to buy maternity clothes so soon lah. if yr wife is slim cut kind, usually tummy will not protrude so fast, and she can wear normal kind of clothes, just that dun wear too tight fitting kind. Some frens only wear maternity clothes end of 2nd trimester, ie over 25 weeks thereabt.

3. baby pdts - usually i will think the better time is 2nd trimester, betw 12 wks to 28 wks, where yr wife will be more energetic and can prob shop ard.

Btw the foetus will be more stable after 12 wks, so most pple will only 'announce' this gd news then. up to individual :)

Congrats to u again!

1. Congrats.

2. Select Gynae.

3. Gynae to propose hospital.

4. Mommy to select package.

5. Hospital will advise where to take short course to become mommy/daddy.

6. Mommy to interview for nannies.

7. Mommy decide where to buy pregnant clothes.

8. Mommy to decide where to buy baby stuff.

9. Dun kanchiong.. is the mommy's moment to call the shots now.. let her run the show.

10. Daddy to prepare cashline account/baby room.

11. Renotalk mommies and kpo daddies to provide advise on matters.

Yeah, i like this Forum, got lot of advises :D

Thanks 1st!

I stay at Bedok, so far Eastxxx hospital is the nearest right?

Any1 take Down syndrome scan?

I've been to East***** hospital before.. i dun like.. i also feel alot of attachement students from NYP there..

but thats me..

why not KK?

congrats to bot of you! how exciting!

i delivered my daughter at Eastshore, my gynae was dr denas chandra. Lovely man, 4 kids of his own, very gentle demeanour plus his nurse at the eastshore clinic is super duper nice and friendly :)

ESH is small, quiet, nothing much to do there, but it was certainly very very convenient for it to be near your house because you hv to keep going for regular check ups and apparently their confinement menu is super yum too.

it's not cheap though, but i would definitely be going back there for subsequent additions to the brood.

I've been to East***** hospital before.. i dun like.. i also feel alot of attachement students from NYP there..

but thats me..

why not KK?

As mentioned by gumbokins, cos Eastxxx nearer to my place. :X

gumbokins => u said not cheap? I thoght East cheaper than KK etc?

Regarding the hospital, what to compare beside the $$$? cleanliness of bed? environment? foods :X ?

Edited by kensanctuary

lol.. if alot of good experience.. then next time Mrs P turn i can also look at East****.

lol.

HiHi, my wife just "detected" with baby, what is the next step? Yesterday she consult a doc at poly, and have 7 weeks already :unsure:

1. Find the maternity package & compare, but when to apply for it?

2. when to buy pregnant clothes etc?

3. When to buy baby products?

Pls advice this "confuse" dad :dunno:

Dear confuse dad,

Congrads B-)

Here are the things that you MUST do, or you will regret

a) Every ultrasonic scan of your baby, keep a copy, scan it.

b) I didn't do the down syndrome scan because wife is young. The chance is 0.000 % something for the normal scan (ie measure the neck or something). KK tried to push a more advance test using blood test that detects 0.00000%. I also didn't take up. Reason 1 is slim chance, reason 2 is what if the test prove positive? Abort?

c) Option decides now if you want to save cord blood. Get the package so that the cord blood may save your baby's or future sibling lives. The stem cells can treat a lot of illnesses. Look at MOH statistic children age 1 to 7 exposed more to problem. Around $700 to capture and $250+/year to keep cold.

d) Change your way to SUPER SUPER supportive of your wife. You better start coming home early, treat wife well, etc etc. Because if ever post natal depression occurs, you will regret it. Give MAXIMUM feeling of security during and after.

e) Don't BUY a baby cot, waste of money. Buy one of those baby 'container' for SGD$99 for infrant to 9 months (I'll post a picture if I see it). When bigger your baby sleeps on the big queen size bed. Lots of danger with baby cot so save the $300+ This 'container' can be FOC, give strong hints to your colleagues because most buy useless baby hampers. Take cash or this 'container' as gift, they will feel good because it's more practical and feels more 'solid' than giving cash vouchers.

My son in his baby 'container'....feels very safe for him B-), let us sleep so peacefully.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ideasmiths/ZiX...821052855544802

f) Start reading up on producing milk, both you and wife. Get the best pump and learn to PERSIST to produce milk. The investment saves you at least $3,000 dollars alone. In my case, wife didn't persisted ended up I have to fork out $42 per month for milk x 12 months x 10 years. And milk powder is increasing in price!. Producing milk also give mother +30% prevention to post natal depression (ie if she feels she can feed baby, she is not a failure!)

g) Get a package. Spend $3K at KK hospital and you get the suite. This saves you tons of money later on in terms of waiting time, comfort etc. Imagine having to wait and wait and wait while doing your checkup.

h) You want to know if boy/girl? Start getting all the mum and in-laws together and ask WHO is the final authourity in naming the baby.

Optional

1) Buy a good baby stroller. You would want one that you can push bi-directonal, ie baby facing you, facing away. It's very very fun to have the baby facing you type. Note: Good ones most of the time is out of stock!, So you got to buy early. Borrow a used one from your friends/colleagues, buy a water melon and put inside, push it around for a few days, carry it up buses/mrt, push it around the neighbourhood, stairs, slopes etc and you will know what to buy.

2) Get a good milk bottles. Dr Brown is good. Look out for sale and borrow a membership card from others so you can buy cheap. Corlic is VERY VERY painful to watch when your tiny weeny baby cries and cries and vomit out milk. You save cheapo on the initial feeding using cheap bottles, you may regret (IF) your baby has corlic.

3) Start changing some furnitures that is baby accident causes. Sharp rectangluar coffee tables, drawers that slam shut etc. Once baby is there, you may not have time to replace the furniture (and the stuff on/inside it). so try to get those done now. Borrow a baby walker and push it around the house, if it bumps into anything, see if it will cause damage to your virtual baby's head/feet/body.

Edited by Ideasmiths

Regarding the hospital, what to compare beside the $$$? cleanliness of bed? environment? foods :X ?

you can compare bill prices here

http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/billsizeDetails.aspx?cId=10

if your wife goes through a normal delivery, she'll only be in for 1 day anyways. i think it's far more impt to choose a good gynae who is attentive and both you and wifey are comfy with. dr chandra was my second gynae, the first one gv me strange vibes.

join idobaby forums for more!

Mrs P stay in the East side too ? :sport-smiley-018:

let's just say we can take a stroll to ES if need be..

A big Thanks to Ideasmiths, I had printed out this pages and go thru with wife when I reach home.

Thanks you for all of you, esp your experiences tips. Really appreciate. :D