Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cantona7

Singapore Olympic Medal-proud?

Hi All,

Singapore had won the Silver Olympic Medal in the Table Tennis Women's Team Final :sport-smiley-003: ....... Are you proud that our country finally win the medal after so many years or is it just another China Vs China affair? :unsure:

Most of my friends are so happy with the events but to me is really nothing to shout for cos what I really hope for is a true Singaporean win the Medal for us instead of giving out citizenship to others. :(

Alot of my friends scolded me for being narrow minded. However to me I would wait patiently for our youth to grow and win the Medal for us one day. ;)

Hope my opinion is not toooo offensive to other foreigners cos to me in order to represent Singapore in the world stage (esp in Sports) I really would feel proud if he/she is a true Sinagorean. :)

Lastly I really like to thank the coach and the players for fighting the medal for our country. :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi All,

Singapore had won the Silver Olympic Medal in the Table Tennis Women's Team Final :sport-smiley-003: ....... Are you proud that our country finally win the medal after so many years or is it just another China Vs China affair? :unsure:

Most of my friends are so happy with the events but to me is really nothing to shout for cos what I really hope for is a true Singaporean win the Medal for us instead of giving out citizenship to others. :(

Alot of my friends scolded me for being narrow minded. However to me I would wait patiently for our youth to grow and win the Medal for us one day. ;)

Hope my opinion is not toooo offensive to other foreigners cos to me in order to represent Singapore in the world stage (esp in Sports) I really would feel proud if he/she is a true Sinagorean. :)

Lastly I really like to thank the coach and the players for fighting the medal for our country. :yamseng:

A little bit sensitive topics leh.... Although my Ah Gong from china, i believe regardless of black cat or white cat, as long can catches rats is a good catch. although the talent are made in China but thay are processes in Singapore.Branding is still the topic.

Simple answer: How would you feel if the descendants of Sang Nila Utama proclaimed that you are not a true Singaporean because you are the descendant of a immigrant from China?

My dad was borned in China but he was brought here immediately after birth. He does not even have any inkling of his 'hometown' in China (he doesn't even know how to get there!) but he can walk up and down Tg Pagar with his eyes closed. Does his origin of birth makes him any lesser Singaporean? And I am sure your parents/grandparents/great-grandparents are the same as well.

How does one define a 'true blue' citizen? To me, simply a pink ID. Period. For someone who can give up the passport of his country of birth and take on another ID of an foreign country is no mean feat; let's respect that. After all, you are here today because someone in your family did just that, isn't it?

Simple answer: How would you feel if the descendants of Sang Nila Utama proclaimed that you are not a true Singaporean because you are the descendant of a immigrant from China?

My dad was borned in China but he was brought here immediately after birth. He does not even have any inkling of his 'hometown' in China (he doesn't even know how to get there!) but he can walk up and down Tg Pagar with his eyes closed. Does his origin of birth makes him any lesser Singaporean? And I am sure your parents/grandparents/great-grandparents are the same as well.

How does one define a 'true blue' citizen? To me, simply a pink ID. Period. For someone who can give up the passport of his country of birth and take on another ID of an foreign country is no mean feat; let's respect that. After all, you are here today because someone in your family did just that, isn't it?

Later tonite his ah gong come and haunt him... si gin nah, say agong don't belong here.... :notti:

it's pretty sensitive, on one hand, they did give up their lives/careers/family in china to become singapore citizens... but on the other hand, would they have gotten as much recognition if they stayed in china? are they the best here in singapore but would only have been 2nd best in china?

but like the previous poster said, we're all immigrants here anyway... some just came earlier than the others

it's pretty sensitive, on one hand, they did give up their lives/careers/family in china to become singapore citizens... but on the other hand, would they have gotten as much recognition if they stayed in china? are they the best here in singapore but would only have been 2nd best in china?

Li JW had said so herself; if she stayed in China, she might not even qualify for the Olympics team. But yesterday, she had taken the World No.1 player to the pingpong table. How did she do that?? Simply because she chose to come Singapore and become our citizen.

She might have made use of us to achieve her goals, but who's complaining? We didn't lose anything, in fact we gained our 2nd medal after 48 yrs because of her! Its a win-win situation and everyone's happy.

Li JW had said so herself; if she stayed in China, she might not even qualify for the Olympics team. But yesterday, she had taken the World No.1 player to the pingpong table. How did she do that?? Simply because she chose to come Singapore and become our citizen.

She might have made use of us to achieve her goals, but who's complaining? We didn't lose anything, in fact we gained our 2nd medal after 48 yrs because of her! Its a win-win situation and everyone's happy.

S$750,000 is the price to pay for the medal man... :deal:

Even our previous sole olympic silver medalist tan howe liang was born in China..he came here when he was a 3year old..like that considered FT too?

Saw his pic when he was younger..his thighs..wah lau..will put roberto carlos in shame.

Even our previous sole olympic silver medalist tan howe liang was born in China..he came here when he was a 3year old..like that considered FT too?

Saw his pic when he was younger..his thighs..wah lau..will put roberto carlos in shame.

I think to differentiate between groomed/grown up in Sg and those who were "hired" to play for Singapore. Those players like Lee Jia Wei was "hired" to come to Singapore.

Honestly Im not that proud of the medal either. I was involved in sports most of my schooling days and I must admit it's not easy to groom to be a professional sports person in Singapore.

i think there is a difference though, Tan howe liang grew up in singapore, the paddlers moved to singapore when they were already established players... someone from another forum i frequent likened it to being mercenaries during the feudal warlord times... am not sure if it's 100% the same

i think there is a difference though, Tan howe liang grew up in singapore, the paddlers moved to singapore when they were already established players... someone from another forum i frequent likened it to being mercenaries during the feudal warlord times... am not sure if it's 100% the same

best part of it - one of them just got her citizenship in the year 2008. :notti:

best part of it - one of them just got her citizenship in the year 2008. :notti:

Wonder the forumner here ever heard of the phase " The world is flat today" ? So classified an individual in term of nationalilty and geographically is an out of date mindset.

that said, i think everyone's doing it these days anyway. was it finland or some other europoean country who had former brazilians in beach volleyball?

Well govt no choice la...singaporeans are too caught up with the paper chase & trying to make a living.

From young, our parents instilled in us..the importance of education.

What will u do if ur young kid say dun wanna study liao..wana play table tennis full time? Im sure you'll be freaked out..