Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ilmare612

Feng Shui Tip - Kitchen

Hi, which of the below following is correct as I heard both versions before.

(a) sink and stove cannot be side-by-side?

(b) sink and stove cannot be opposite each other?

Thank you all for your attention :sport-smiley-003:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

leave at least 2 feets in between ba...can ok to be side by side...

no logic if too far apart also...

but technically speaking...can i place a built in oven in a full height cabinet...beside a fridge?

Kitchens where the stove and sink are directly opposite one another are not recommended because the elements fire and water are not friends

The stove is associated with FIRE, and the sink with WATER. Fire and water are natural enemies: water extinguishes fire, and fire evaporates water. That conflict between the elements is why a sink-opposite-stove kitchen layout is said to lead to arguments and tension in the home.

can i ask, if face opposite, what will happen ar?

frankly..it is too squeezy unless u have a very big house . 1 person cooking...cannot have another standing behind him/her doing any washing...cos the person cooking must have the flexibility to turn around ANYTIME.

side by side is best....with at least two feets in between to cut ingredient ready for cooking.

Thanks everyone for making that effort to reply. :dancingqueen:

Mace and h4happy, thanks for the specific reply. Your answer was what I heard before too. Then, I found this... http://www.indobase.com/fengshui/tips-for-homes/kitchen.html

The kitchen should not be north facing. Chinese believe that evil spirits come from the north and if the kitchen is north facing then there are greater chances of accidents occurring in the kitchen. If the kitchen is north facing then hang wind chimes and crystals from the windows and doorways to counter the negative effect.

The kitchen sink signifies water and the kitchen stove represents fire. It would be best if both these were not placed next to each other in the kitchen. The stove in the kitchen should be positioned in such a way that you can see anyone entering the kitchen. Your back should not be to the door while you are cooking. Placing a mirror on top of the stove will allow the cook to see anyone entering the kitchen and will counter this problem. The area around the stove should be well lit and well ventilated. The will reduce the Sha Chi.

White is the best color for your kitchen. White signifies purity and promotes good health and will ensure that the food cooked is pure. Cutlery should not be stored in areas where there is stagnant energy. Sharp objects have negative energy and they will affect your health. Put cutlery in a drawer closest to the door or a window. It is not good to have a toilet near the kitchen as it produces negative energy. If there is a toilet keep the door closed and the toilet seat down and place a Bagwa on the toilet door.

was told not to put the stove and sinks opp each other or too close side by side too.

so i have done a L shape de kitchen cabinets.

my kitchen is not big enuff to put them side by side and for the stove not facing the toilet door and be seen from the entrance...

L shape is the best solution liaoz... =)

but if say not to back face the entrance...

kaoz... cannot liaoz...

have no idea of to avoid this one...

It is better that when you are cooking, you can see the entrance and can see who's coming into the kitchen.

And not while cooking, suddenly someone tip on your shoulder and gave you a flight.

Har??? Really cannot have back to the kitchen entrance ah? Haiz... I'm tinking of doing that layout leh. :(

It is better that when you are cooking, you can see the entrance and can see who's coming into the kitchen.

And not while cooking, suddenly someone tip on your shoulder and gave you a flight.

Thanks h4happy! It's back to the drawing board and thinking caps for me :P

But those who are doing L-shape cabinet will most likely have their sinks facing the kitchen entrance, which means when a person is using the sink, his back is facing the entrance.

Is this ok?

This is a specific question which answer is different from house to house.

First of all, the house must have harmonious Qi flowing throughout. Has anybody heard of 水火即濟? It means Water and Fire in perfect harmony. In Yi Jing, this is the last 2nd hexagram where things are completed, accomplished. Near perfection not but not perfection. (Why not perfection? Cos in life we shouldnt seek 100% - then there will be no room to improve and work for, and then the downhill will definitely come.) For such a house with good Qi, even if the sink n stove are opp to each other it does not matter.

For most houses, which are not in state of harmonious Qi, then being opp to each other is the biggest no-no. Side by side is no problem just give it 1-2 feet apart for pracical reasons. The caveat is for LOCATION/SECTOR of such configuration in NW and SW in GENERAL. This is becos NW and SW are Heavenly Gate and Earth Gate, 天地門. You dun want Fire and Water to be in those location which in bad years will cause health issues.

Side track: All things being equal, North-South houses are superior to than others. Water and Fire are life forces. People who know a little about TCM will understand why.