Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mist

Dad's Got A Stroke

sigh, thanks all so much. but just discovered my dad contracted pneumonia and mrsa. sigh. doc said they are already treating him with the strongest antibiotics. if it still doesnt kill the bacteria then they will just stop all antibiotic treatment. i feel terrible. its like waiting for a person to see if he dies. omg. dunno how long the wait will be. donno whether he will survive at the end of the wait. sigh. whatever it is i just hope he is not suffering. i'm so tired of feeling sad. still going over everyday to talk to my dad, although he hardly respond now. think the strong medicine make him drowsy. now that he has mrsa i'm also worried whether i accidentaly passed it to my babies. i've been taking extra precautions with mask and gloves now that i know but previously he could have contracted it and i've always had close contact as i massage him everyday. sigh. just hope my babies are alright. i cant take anymore bad news.

Check with the doctor on the precaution to take and ur concern abt ur baby, let them explain the situation to u at least this will not let u worry further on.

Too many things worry at the same time will further stress u out.

cantona. thank god she recovered! stroke is such a scary thing. sigh. how old was ur mil? all the doc i spoke to were really pessimistic about my dads case partly due to the extensive damage caused by the brainstem stroke and partly due to his age..

My MIL was 68 when she kenna stroke, although she had recover from the stroke and diabetic but her relationship with my FIL had been permanently damage. :(:(

Now they are separated and I dun think will meet each other again. :(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

mrsa is really the hospital's fault

it seems that most people contract it in the hospital

partly due to the compromised immune system

are you breast-feeding your babies?

breast fed babies usually are stronger coz they get the anti-bodies from their mother

crossing my fingers and toes for you now...

Just to share. My mum was hospitalised in last dec due to liver complication. Doc says the most give few days to live. We have to mentally prepare ourselves. True enough, she passed away on the 4th day. I spare u the details.

There is no roller coaster ride for us and we are thankful. Staying 24hours in the hospital will make one collapse in fatigue. Do take care, drink alot of water. Dun drink so much mineral water as it will make u cough..constant weeping make it worse.

While we are grieving and praying for miracle, we are also prepared for the worst. We start to quietly check out the casket company and the fees. We knew and heard many stories of those sales person pressuring and confusing family in signing up 'packages' with them especially when we ourselves are in state of shock and sadness. Hospital bills is already hefty hence we knew we must NOT land ourselves in another financial burden again.

What we can do for my mum while she was in bed, knowing she is slowly slipping away from us, hold her hands, stroke her face, sing her fav songs, recall her memories of those moments with us (family gathering, holidays, shopping and eating trips), let her remember that she did have happy days, reassure her all of us will be strong and continue to live happily. We told God that if HE cant grant her full recovery, pls take her away from pain and misery. HE must have hear us...she went peacefully.

We used our medisave to purchase NTUC incomeshield for her and the whole hospital bill is fully paid by them. I would sincerely encourage everyone to buy that for parents and children. It really relieve some of our burden and worries.

Hi mist,

I know you can only worry at this stage but you know you have done the best you could you would live with no regret and have a peaceful mind. A lot of things are beyond our control and we can only pray for miracle to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonia#Treatment

Don't give up hope!

hi mist,

my ex-colleague's MIL also have a stroke last year, and now she is recovering well also. Agree with Cantona, tell ur dad not to give up. He must be mentally strong first in order to overcome the illness. You too, be strong and take good care of urself

just discovered my dad contracted pneumonia and mrsa... all the doc i spoke to were really pessimistic about my dads case partly due to the extensive damage caused by the brainstem stroke and partly due to his age..

Dear mist,

Sorry to hear about your dad's situation. Brainstem stroke, age, pneumonia, MRSA... all adds to the poor prognosis. FYI, doctors often give the worst case scenario in terms of prognosis so that family can be adequately prepared for it. Thus, there will be many examples of patients "doing better than expected by the doctors".

Brainstem control the basic functions for human to stay alive, e.g. breathing, body temperature, etc, thus the doctors would be pessimistic. There are stroke patients who recover, but those I've come across are cerebral stroke patients, e.g. the hemiplegic stroke patients.

While we are grieving and praying for miracle, we are also prepared for the worst. We start to quietly check out the casket company and the fees. We knew and heard many stories of those sales person pressuring and confusing family in signing up 'packages' with them especially when we ourselves are in state of shock and sadness. Hospital bills is already hefty hence we knew we must NOT land ourselves in another financial burden again.

I think ahjane's advice is very relevant. Again the hospital staff can help you with this as they can provide you information on the licenses and procedure to handle death in Singapore.

FYI, if your doctors' evaluation is that your dad is terminally ill, hospice care is another option. Hospices are given more leeway in the care/medication they can give to provide optimal patient comfort. My family didn't know about hospice care when my granddad was in the last stages of cancer 10+ years ago. He suffered much at the end because acute hospital care was bounded by restrictions on care/medication they can provide (e.g. amount of painkillers that can be given).

Continue talking to your dad. Hospice caregivers say that it is the last sensory function to go.

For precautions to take for your baby and yourself, the hospital staff will be able to advise you. Take care! Hugs!

mrsa is really the hospital's fault

it seems that most people contract it in the hospital

partly due to the compromised immune system

applefreak, I don't think the above in italics is a fair statement. Afterall, certain types of hospital wards have an unusually high concentration immuno-compromised patients. Any visitor/staff could be a carrier of the bacteria. You won't find the same risk levels in other ward specialties e.g. Obstetrics. Why? The conditions of the patients are different.

Dear Mist,

1st of all, take gd care of yrself. Once you r strong & healthy (coz u got babies), u will be much more able to prepare to take care of yr dad, yr babies n yr family (including yr mum, bro n hubby, esp mum & bro coz they r stressed out too). and also once u r healthy n strong, u will b strong mentally also.

all forumers here r giving gd encouragement and advice. so u must jia you although sometime u will feel tired mentally n physically.

Mist, don't despair, try all kinds of alternative treatment to help see if yr dad's body respond to it. n don't think he don't respond mean he don't know or don't understand. he could be listening to you all n feelling sad n helpless too. all of u r his family which he has make it as his main objective to take care of n if any of u feel sad, he will be sad too.

financial wise, u can talk to the hospital too. there r aids and deferment plans for paying of bills. if hv medishield, medisave, also can use. go to MP also can as they will be able to help arrange some kind of help to you. u can also approach / ask them for advise on plans of taking care of yr dad n alternatives to taking care of him coz we don't definitely know all kinds of help/assistance that is available and provided by the govt and/or organisations.

there r many ppl who will be able to help you or lend you a helping hand. but you must be strong in order to be the pillar of strength of the hsehold.

Mist, jia you :sport-smiley-003:

hey mist, just hope that your dad is stable now

just wanted you to know that we are here for you

most importantly, take care of yourself *hugs*

applefreak, I don't think the above in italics is a fair statement. Afterall, certain types of hospital wards have an unusually high concentration immuno-compromised patients. Any visitor/staff could be a carrier of the bacteria. You won't find the same risk levels in other ward specialties e.g. Obstetrics. Why? The conditions of the patients are different.

for me, it's really the indiscreet precription of antibiotics and failure of hospital to take precaution measures...

but that's not the point of this discussion...

can also check if your dad is covered under eldershield. write or call CPF board.

my dad had cancer and passed away last year. a month later we found out that he had eldershield coverage. the sum although small may be able to offset some costs.

take care.

On 1/4/2009 at 7:28 PM, applefreak said:

so sorry to hear about your dad

i can't imagine the anguish you must be feeling now :(

my aunt had a stroke quite a few years back

she was paralysed on one side of her body and could not even smile

my cousins transferred her to the AMK hospital for long-term care

there she was introduced to acupunture

my aunt managed to fully recover from the stroke

you might want to consider this as an option for your father

it will be very costly to get a live-in nurse

maids can be trained to take care of your father

my distant uncle is being taken care by a maid now (he too suffered a stroke but refused any kind of treatment so he is bedridden :( )

Hi all 

wondering if anyone is still able to advise me on stroke matters . My aunt just had a haemorrhage stroke , she is 76 and the doctor’s prognosis of her is permanent right side paralysis and speech will not gone forever ?. Is there any possible treatment ?