Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi all...

We have zoomed in directly to a particular ID introduced by a family friend. After several meet ups, he has produced a few layout (but there isn't much difference actually) and at the last meet up we were given a quotation. However my husband felt that it is overpriced. It sounds fishy because previously he mentioned that his budget is 40k, and somehow he managed to give us a quotation that is like 39k+. Is it really possible to be so close to our maximum budget? Actually our budget is lower, hubby did not discuss with me when he blurt out the 40k amount. It's our first flat and we are quite clueless.

I did not take back a copy of the quotation but we paid 1k for him to draw the 3d computer drawings which will be shown to us later.

1) Is it normal to collect 1k for 3D drawings? He mentioned that it will be offset in the reno fee when we sign up.

2) Is it limited to just 3 layout changes?

Anyway I briefly remember the quotation.

- 2000 for masterbed room floor and wall tile overlay

- tv feature wall is like 2000+

- shoe cabinet (full height) 1500

- bed side table 520

- painting 1200

- hacking of wall 700 (excluding PE charges)

Overall the masterbed room + toilet costs 20 over thousand (platform bed with head panel, WIW, side table, bath tub, vanity, tile overlay)

Thanks all for reading and advises.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

Would mind to let us have the chance to give you a qoute so that you can compare.

Our company provide design and code and is HDB registered.

Please PM me.

Thks

Hi himitien

WOW! The prices your ID quoted you are GROSSLY INFLATED! Take for example, the quote i got for my full height shoe cabinet is only $750 and demolishing of walls only $100 per wall!!! How many walls are your demolishing???

The prices looks really expensive. Mine is a 5room and it comes up to much lower. I pm u my quote for reference.

I feel like.... he is sharpening his knife and ready for you~!!

Hrm... Have you ever try to approach other ID from other firms before? have you ever asked how long this person been working in this industry? How is his finished project look like? Most importantly, DO YOU LIKE HIS DESIGN?

Last time when I told my designer that by budget is 30k. But end up his initial quotation is 21k only. What he said is because my design is nothing much. That's why so low.

Hi all...

We have zoomed in directly to a particular ID introduced by a family friend. After several meet ups, he has produced a few layout (but there isn't much difference actually) and at the last meet up we were given a quotation. However my husband felt that it is overpriced. It sounds fishy because previously he mentioned that his budget is 40k, and somehow he managed to give us a quotation that is like 39k+. Is it really possible to be so close to our maximum budget? Actually our budget is lower, hubby did not discuss with me when he blurt out the 40k amount. It's our first flat and we are quite clueless.

I did not take back a copy of the quotation but we paid 1k for him to draw the 3d computer drawings which will be shown to us later.

1) Is it normal to collect 1k for 3D drawings? He mentioned that it will be offset in the reno fee when we sign up.

2) Is it limited to just 3 layout changes?

Anyway I briefly remember the quotation.

- 2000 for masterbed room floor and wall tile overlay

- tv feature wall is like 2000+

- shoe cabinet (full height) 1500

- bed side table 520

- painting 1200

- hacking of wall 700 (excluding PE charges)

Overall the masterbed room + toilet costs 20 over thousand (platform bed with head panel, WIW, side table, bath tub, vanity, tile overlay)

Thanks all for reading and advises.

I think your hubby is right, abt being over priced, and agree with you abt your suspicion, on the part of them hitting it slightly below your budget (40k).

The renovation of my flat is still ongoing, i can share with you my costing for reference.

I was quoted $32k for doing up my EM (resale).

I only retained the existing bedroom's wooden flooring,

hacked off everything else (practically the whole house) and replace, i.e.no overlaying.

Most of the items are rather similar to those you've mentioned, (WIW, and other carpentry item for MBR and etc) Other jobs includes the kitchen cabinet, replacement of gate, doors, water pipes for the whole house, painting. BUT of course, we can't compare apple to apple here (size may vary, and intangible assessment for workmanship)

Personally, i feel you shd get hold of the quotation, ( ask them for it, either by fax or email also can) this will come in handy for comparison.

About the $1k for 3D drawings... i feel its only an old trick to ensure that you stay committed to them, so as not to forgo your $1k...

What if? At the end of the day, you choose not to engage them?? Surely dun expect any refund from them.

Hence, is it necessary to have the 3D drawing? Is it an actual representation of what you will receive??

Another factor that u may wish to consider? i.e. Your level of comfort working with them.

If you feel that you are comfortable working with them, and don't mind paying more for that comfort. I guess no one can stop you. :)

Edited by swift

The ID claims that the materials he used is much better. He say it is hard to compare because the materials used are not the same. His workers are also from Malaysia instead of China (he say they are better but more ex).

We are hacking only 2 walls and it costs $750. I guess if we dun sign up we will take the 3D drawings to source for someone else. It's not easy for us to get reliable reference as we are the earlier ones within our group of friends to get a flat.

The ID claims that the materials he used is much better. He say it is hard to compare because the materials used are not the same. His workers are also from Malaysia instead of China (he say they are better but more ex).

We are hacking only 2 walls and it costs $750. I guess if we dun sign up we will take the 3D drawings to source for someone else. It's not easy for us to get reliable reference as we are the earlier ones within our group of friends to get a flat.

Its already an established fact that the China workers are Jack of all trade, but Master of none.

China workers can BSBH (Bao Swa Bao Hai) Same person can do Everything, from hacking, tiling, carpentry, and etc.

Plainly labour, no skills involved. I think you and i can match their standard of output.

Personally, i feel that most ID firms won't dare risk using such workers or run the risk of tarnishing their reputation.

Irony part is... what if your ID also engage China workers? Will you / or hubby be able to detect? Are you all going to station yourselves at the site to screen their identification?? :)

Honestly, it was an enjoyable process for us, going ard sourcing for IDs and Contractors to do the renovation.

Your hubby and you shd enjoy it too. Spend some time, going ard, meet these people, bring along a floorplan of your house, telling them what/how you intend to renovate, and let them get back to you with quotes, advises and ideas. At the end of the day, you would have gain a feel of the average market pricing, and also be able to firm up the thoughts of what you wanna do with the house. You would also be able to shortlist the more sincere IDs whom you / and hubby felt comfortable working with.

As for those material which your ID cited. I guess its just a ploy to 'persuade' you guys to sign up with him.

Well, again... Just another thinker for you. Will other IDs be using defective materials, or 'inferior' materials that won't last? Then becomes more cumbersome having to provide aftersales services.

If you wanna be concise, you can ask for what specific type / brand of material that your ID intend to use. True enough, some brands may be more expensive, but then again, you can check with other IDs, tell them to quote using these material.

Let me sign off with... the price quoted to me for the hacking of my wall.

I was quoted abt $150 for hacking off 1.5m of wall. Based on your pricing, are you hacking 7.5m of wall?

It's better if you can state per foot run or per meter sq to better compare your prices.

I never liked firms wher ei have to pay first ot see drawings. That way my money is stuck.

If i don't like the design/serivce/attitude, how?

Never put yourself in a compromising situation, something i learnt the hard way.

Don't give face just because it's a family friend. On the contary, the ID should give more discount and better service, not sharpen his freaking knife!

My hubby sms the ID to say that it is too expensive and we are not going ahead with it. ID just replied a simple 'OK'.

I guess spending $30 to cancel my cheque is still more worth it than investing 1k for 3D photos.

Actually I like the experience of "shopping" around, but hubby doesn't like wasting time. (That's how I ended up with an expensive bridal studio without bargaining for much items).

Thanks to all who have shared their info. Really appreciate the help!

My hubby sms the ID to say that it is too expensive and we are not going ahead with it. ID just replied a simple 'OK'.

I guess spending $30 to cancel my cheque is still more worth it than investing 1k for 3D photos.

Actually I like the experience of "shopping" around, but hubby doesn't like wasting time. (That's how I ended up with an expensive bridal studio without bargaining for much items).

Thanks to all who have shared their info. Really appreciate the help!

What swift said is right...u should go ard shopping first, see some units on the workmanship...etc. Reno a house it like buying a car...it big money spending, so choice carefully.

Well it really depends on what you have requested for...for a 4 room flat, if you are not doing any hacking of the existing floor tiles and replacing with new one vs you plan to have the floor hacked and replace with marbles, will definitely cause a variance of few Ks. If your husband told them about the 40K budget without telling them exactly what you want, they will most probably give you the max for your renovation. When you see their quote, you have the chance to reduce items that you think it is not necessary and therefore reducing the amount.

I actually got my quote for almost 48K for my 5 room...I thought I'm being chopped but when I matched together with other firm's quotation, it came out to be roughly the same...I realised that I'm replacing and doing up a lot of things...or basically I'm doing an almost full overhaul for the house.

Of course, if they say that the material they use is of better quality, do ask to see their works and decide for yourself whether you agree with their claim.

Anyway there must be some reasons why your family friend reccommended you to him. Unless they are sabotaging you and that they are happy to see you guys being "chopped" on the chopping board...lol

Most importantly, look around and get more quotes...see who is more sincere..

Clearly a clear of chop carrot. Abusing your trust ya, most of the time like that to pull a quick one.

Demolish wall 700 and dare to put exclude PE charges, i won't be surprised if the ID came back to you saying need to add 400 for PE charges.

Hack wall send to HDB for permit can already. :P

Only through comparison does one knwo if they're getting value for their money spent.

We're not spending $50 or $100 here. It's a 5 digit sum and you live with it for a long time.