Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
2ndtime

Help With Solid Surfaces

I know there are lots of brand out there. Does anyone know what are the brands and the price range for each brand or where I can get the info? Any brand I should stay clear off? Thx :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I know there are lots of brand out there. Does anyone know what are the brands and the price range for each brand or where I can get the info? Any brand I should stay clear off? Thx :)

In fact all the solid surface top are the same, its only that different company using different brands...

In fact all the solid surface top are the same, its only that different company using different brands...

Yah, with very different price range. I don't mind taking a lesser known brand but wanna know the price for it so won't get chop :)

Guest melancholic
Yah, with very different price range. I don't mind taking a lesser known brand but wanna know the price for it so won't get chop :)

It's not exactly true that all solid surfaces are the same. The expensive ones like Corian have a very high content of acrylic, which is supposed to make it stronger? more scratch resistant.. You can be quoted as high as $140 pfr for Corian (at this price, you can already get Indian Granite.) On the other hand, I've been quoted $60 pfr by Seng Kwong Furniture for the solid surface that they use. Classic Furniture quoted me $90 pfr for Cresto solid surface (which other forummers mentioned getting it at $80 pfr, and even $70.

There's LG, Formica, etc.. so many different brands. I saw the LG samples at OM at Liang Court. quite nice.. but ... horrors.. saw 2 visible scratches on their kitchen work top! Guess it was the flourescent light shining directly on it...

I think if possible, it would be good if forummers can share what brand their IDs used and how much it cost. That way other newbies like myself won't get overcharged.

It'd also be good if forummers could share their experience with the solid surface that they got... or advice which is the most worth it.

Anyone who bought direct from supplier also?

1) Imperial Solid Surface is 100% Polymer Rasin Solid Surface - $70 psf

2) Cresto is 100% Polymer Rasin Solid Surface - $80 psf

3) Samsung Staron (Korean) is 100% Acrylic Rasin Solid surface bet. $90 - $130 depending on the colors

4) DuPont Corian (US) is 100% Acrylic Rasin Solid surface bet. $130 - 160 depending on colors range.

5)

Otherwise stated, contractors normally will get less 15%-20% depending on psf on the items quote. Or else you go direct to the factory and ask for discount, or say you are a contractor yourself.

Words of advice, there is no such thing that Solid surface is 70% Acrylic 30% Polymer Rasin. All Solid top is either 100% Polymer Rasin or Acrylic Rasin.

Edited by johnnyong

Make sure the Solid Surface Top joint is not done in your house. Ask your contractor whether the Solid Surface is measure to factory and cut to size and installed into your house. It is very ugly to see silicone joints and in long terms it will wear and peel off.

May it be the Contractor’s workers had to carried the Solid Surface from the stairs (even you stay 20th storey) due to the L-shaped joint.

Make sure the Solid Surface Top joint is not done in your house. Ask your contractor whether the Solid Surface is measure to factory and cut to size and installed into your house. It is very ugly to see silicone joints and in long terms it will wear and peel off.

May it be the Contractor’s workers had to carried the Solid Surface from the stairs (even you stay 20th storey) due to the L-shaped joint.

Yup, Totally agree...

The surface will only look solid without any joints.

The whole thing should be ONE SOLID PIECE... thats why we are paying such a premium price. :horse:

Yup, Totally agree...

The surface will only look solid without any joints.

The whole thing should be ONE SOLID PIECE... thats why we are paying such a premium price. :horse:

Thanks for the advise, actually my old surafce is postform so don't know their should be no joints lines for solid surface. Last sunday, went and bought a silestone countertop at stile shop but haven't install yet, will definitely put it across to the supplier.

Guest melancholic
1) Imperial Solid Surface is 100% Polymer Rasin Solid Surface - $70 psf

2) Cresto is 100% Polymer Rasin Solid Surface - $80 psf

3) Samsung Staron (Korean) is 100% Acrylic Rasin Solid surface bet. $90 - $130 depending on the colors

4) DuPont Corian (US) is 100% Acrylic Rasin Solid surface bet. $130 - 160 depending on colors range.

5)

Otherwise stated, contractors normally will get less 15%-20% depending on psf on the items quote. Or else you go direct to the factory and ask for discount, or say you are a contractor yourself.

Words of advice, there is no such thing that Solid surface is 70% Acrylic 30% Polymer Rasin. All Solid top is either 100% Polymer Rasin or Acrylic Rasin.

Has anyone done this, asking the ID/Contractor to only do the kitchen cabinets and you get the solid surface directly from the factory and ask them to measure and install? And for that matter, not just solid surface, but even granite or stiles?

Has anyone done this, asking the ID/Contractor to only do the kitchen cabinets and you get the solid surface directly from the factory and ask them to measure and install? And for that matter, not just solid surface, but even granite or stiles?

Not me. Although it seems like a refreshing idea, however, i wonder how much savings can we achieve?

The savings might not be substantiate to compensate for the additional trouble in co-ordinating?

My feel is that the ID/Contractor might have marked up to a higher costing for the cabinets alone.

hi all... maybe u can consider corian solid surface... as it does not have any joint lines even if the top has to be joint at ur place... btw solid surfaces are not scratch proof... they are juz scratch resistant... if over the years ur corian top has any scratches, u can actually ask the professionals from corian company to polish it for u... and of cos the price of corian is def higher than lg and etc... and it is tested and proven to be safe to handle foods on a corian top.... e.g breadtalk actually roll their doughs on a conrian top...