Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ericivy79

Hacking Broken Marble Is Waste?

Attached is my new house before renovation.

I don't like the broken marble because the broken pattern look very messy...... :P

I plan to hack marble and replace the broken marble with homegeneous. 3 bedroom also hack and replace by laminate flooring.

My ID doesn't recommend me to hack the marble because not worth and waste money. She said polished will be very nice.

Anyone have broken marble in their living/dining and bedroom? Do you think the broken marble look very old fashion?

Anyone can show their modern house perfect match with the broken marble?

pict0005large.th.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My marble floor is over twenty years. After polishing... its looks brand new

marblep.jpg

marblep2.jpg

Only marble can give you this kind of reflection.

Edited by aijo

I don't like the broken marble because the broken pattern look very messy...... :P

I plan to hack marble and replace the broken marble with homegeneous. 3 bedroom also hack and replace by laminate flooring.

My ID doesn't recommend me to hack the marble because not worth and waste money. She said polished will be very nice.

Anyone have broken marble in their living/dining and bedroom? Do you think the broken marble look very old fashion?

pict0005large.th.jpg

i guess you do not like the marble flooring because of the colour. personally, i do not like the colour also. aijo's marble colour is more easily to coordinate colours of furniture.

whatever your ID or we say, the main thing is you must like it cos the flooring is quite critical. If you don't like it, even the cost won't deter you from hacking.

My marble floor is over twenty years. After polishing... its looks brand new

marblep.jpg

marblep2.jpg

Only marble can give you this kind of reflection.

i agree with aijo. "Only marble can give this kind of reflection" and its would be a waste to hack it. aijo, u're so lucky to have got marble floorings.

I paid for higher homo tiles and really hate the homo tiles for the 3.5years that I stayed in my EM. It get stained easily, looks dull and u can see the dirt. I can never get satisfied with the flooring no matter how I mop it. Really hate it so much and really regret doing homo tiles. Should have done up my floorings with either granite or marble. Its just my luck that the seller had very old famous ceramic tiles and I had to hack it. Now, I'm smarter and even though there are a few crack lines to the ceramic tiles and a few tiny chips here and there in the floor which is already 20yrs old, I simply refused re-do the flooring for my 5-room flat. Definitely no more Homo tiles for me....ever again. So happy with the ceramic flooring since moving in 3 weeks ago. I no longer have to bear with the stains VISIBLE from homo tiles and am satisfied with the universal shine from my ceramic tiles. Merely looking at it after mopping and stepping on it already makes my day as compared to those days when I get moody looking at my homo tiles.

Hi aijo,

Will my broken marble will same nice with your one? I don't think so....haiz

Your one looks very nice after polished

Edited by ericivy79

Hi guy77,

I agree with you but i really hard to decide. Maybe i will not hack it because of my tight budget.

i think you can still spend some money polishing it. it will be better really.

Here is a close up of my broken marble floor

marbleclose.jpg

Issit the same?

The polishing cost me $800 for living + 2 bedroom, this is my contractor's price. Outside if you go direct, it can be cheaper but you need to coordinate.

I really hope my broken marble can same with you after polished.

Can you show me before the photo b4 you polish? My ID said it need abt 1700 for living/dining and 3 bedroom.

Here is a close up of my broken marble floor

marbleclose.jpg

Issit the same?

The polishing cost me $800 for living + 2 bedroom, this is my contractor's price. Outside if you go direct, it can be cheaper but you need to coordinate.

1700 to polish marble? wah. mmmm

If you don't want, you can lay over marble. It should be quite safe as marble doesn't pop like tiles. You'll save hacking costs then...mm

I didnt take photograph of the marble floor before the reno. But here is what I have. But do note that I have changed all my windows to clear glass, therefore the floor is much more brighter also.

Before

beforex.jpg

After

afterw.jpg

Edited by aijo

ericivy79's marble gouting is has a darker colour than aijo's. From the picture, it makes the room very dark and messy. If I were u, I would hack it even if it's gold. But seriously, don't keep something if it's going to cause you any regrets later on. Coz home is a place where u need to feel comfortable. And flooring is most important coz it comes before any other renovations, so u need to think carefully.

You can consider overlay, but need to take note of the permissible ruling for floor-to-ceiling height.

if u decided to keep. like someone suggested, go direct to contractor will save u quite abit. Coz ID will sure take a bite. + this kinda thing needs little coordination. Just ask ID to stopwork on a weekend, before any carpentry goes up, to do the polishing. Normally ID don't work on weekends. And polishing is almost noiseless... so u can ask the polisher to work on weekend.

can anyone pm me their polishing contact ( if they are good of cos :P ) looking for 1 urgently.

thanks!

PS: i still can polish after my feature wall / console is done right? or polishing need to be done first?

my contractor is coming tmr to fix up the feature wall cum tv console ( suspended type ) so if polishing have to be done first, then i cannot engagte anyone to polish my marble liao. ( have to ownself wax/polish floor and hope for best liao)

Edited by HanJin

pict0005large.th.jpg

Why not just overlay the laminate then you dun have to hack the marble. Hacking also cost money. So just overlay lor.

Save money and u get what u want.