Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kthc

New Home In Sembawang

Hi All,

Found out about this section of Renotalk when a few 'squatters' went over to the 'hiding place' in the other forum recently:D Didn't realize that this section is so active and had found lots of renovation ideas visiting the various threads here.

I'll try to document our experience here but main purposed would to to use this thread to ask questions, can't keep PMing some of you, PM system only allows 20 at a time... Thanks for Wendy (Smallboy), Pinkpetter, Rondy, Preciousjam and lots others for your feedback/answers to my earlier questions.

We've just bought a resale 5rm flat mainly because we've been living on the 2nd floor and always knew that we'll move out as soon as it hit the 5 year MOP. Just hit the MOP in March 09, managed to buy at a good price and then sold our 4rm flat, also in Sembawang, in April.... Pretty good agent IMO and if anybody is interested, I'll gladly recommend him. (I think he specializes in AMK, Woodlands, Semabawang & Yishun)

Anyway, attaching my floorplan to give a better overall view, when my questions start flowing in....

3503822271_bd170f7556.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Started looking for contractors/IDs in mid-April. Had quotes from 2 IDs (1 more wanted us to go to his office b4 quoting...) but since we've a good idea of what we wanted, we are more comfortable looking for contractors and of course, trying to get quotes from the two 'superstars' here.

A quick note about the IDs... told them our budget, but both quoted grossly overbudget, one $10k above and another $20k above... Went to Yeak with the nearly the same specs (with more things added), its just slightly above the budget. Choice is pretty clear. Met up with him earlier and we've added even more things, now hoping it'll won't eat too much into our furnishing budget;)

Also faxed to Alan (from Ah Soon) today for a quote based on our earlier specs but anyone here tried him before?

Alan should be working under Ah Soon ba. they are co-managing.. but I haven't dealt with him before. You got his number from Ah Soon? :)

Glad you met up with Yeak also. He does seem like a good one too.

Looks like you've got quite a big living cum dining area...hee :P

Do you guys intend to do a lot of reno work?

Alan should be working under Ah Soon ba. they are co-managing.. but I haven't dealt with him before. You got his number from Ah Soon? :)

Glad you met up with Yeak also. He does seem like a good one too.

Yup, got it from Ah Soon. Thanks to Wendy who helped us chased him for a quotation:)

Looks like you've got quite a big living cum dining area...hee :P

Do you guys intend to do a lot of reno work?

Got to hack everything and renovate the place fully. Actually only planned for the items listed in the pdf file but after last night's discussion with Yeak, adding a little more carpentry like feature walls and cabinets in the living area. Good ideas from him, now hoping for good pricing from him too :P

Nice round balcony you got.

Actually, didn't like the round balcony, preferred the normal rectangle ones. Told my wife a few years back (when we started glancing at potential areas to move to) that I don't want the round balcony flats. Always felt that it's difficult to find furniture for round areas but because there's lots of other plus points for this unit (4 bedrooms, corner unit, relatively unblocked view, high floor and gd price!) so we took it. Bad points for us would be the small kitchen, slightly west facing, a little too close to the neighbour's maindoor. Anyway, will be removing the balcony doors and level up the flooring to make a larger living room.

Wow... big space... you got 3 rooms + a study........ congrats on setting up this blog.

Take your time to talk to Yeak and Alan (Uncle Soon)......... they both offer good rates. :)

Welcome!!! nice layout there....i'm glad Yeak managed to give you some ideas....maybe can try getting more freebies from him.... :D

when are you looking at to start the reno?

actually the balcony round have its beauty...juz wondering if the round bedroom gonna difficult to do layout? is it full height glass panel?

Edited by preciousjam

Hi KTHC,

Congrats! Nice place with a very nice layout!

All the spaces are nicely tucked and spread out accordingly to their functions.

You can have many options to play around.

Hope to see pics and plans soon.

Wow... big space... you got 3 rooms + a study........ congrats on setting up this blog.

Take your time to talk to Yeak and Alan (Uncle Soon)......... they both offer good rates. :)

Thanks, now see if I have the discipline to keep it updated;) Your suggestions about using our own measurements is very useful, my wife happily drawing up her wardrobe and kitchen using her own dimensions. Oh and she wants Blum now....

Welcome!!! nice layout there....i'm glad Yeak managed to give you some ideas....maybe can try getting more freebies from him.... :D

when are you looking at to start the reno?

actually the balcony round have its beauty...juz wondering if the round bedroom gonna difficult to do layout? is it full height glass panel?

Will try to see what I can get once his quotation comes in, got to be a little thick skin:) Hoping to start 1st/2nd week of June, estimating that we'll get our keys in early June. We got to move out by early August and our buyer don't seem the friendly type who will allow extension, already wanted us to pay rental when we asked if can extend a little.... Going to ask my agent to drag the process a little longer to give us time.

Hehe, I really hate the round part, probably just my quirk but I don't like round tables, round chairs anything round, except for cakes :D We'll probably just do a semi-circled study table just to utilise the space but if anyone has other suggestions, feel free to suggest.

Hi,

Congrats!

Nice, spacious and unique layout.

How much did you pay for your 5-room? Is it on a high level?

$360K, 2nd or 3rd highest floor I think. $30k under value:) My agent told me it'll spoil the market around the area... Heard from the HDB officer that they actually wrote to the owners to check why are they selling so low...

Hi KTHC,

Congrats! Nice place with a very nice layout!

All the spaces are nicely tucked and spread out accordingly to their functions.

You can have many options to play around.

Hope to see pics and plans soon.

nice and unique layout with the curved part of MBR and balcony.....

you plan to use study as WIW? wow nice...

Thanks, I like the spaces and layout too, had to really sell it to my wife at first cos she felt the kitchen was too small (although we don't cook often) and it's a little west facing. Had to give her the study room for a WIW to seal the deal.... although we'll probably just make a large wardrobe instead with places for her dresser and all since our MBR is too small to put a vanity.