Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edsonchan

Reference Check: Gek Jin Contractors Pte Ltd

any updates on using this contractor?

went down today to discuss, and the price seems attractive too

any pictures to share will be good. =)

Edited by spearhawk

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

My reno work is done by Gek Jin. Today is the 4th day of work, so far so good. I agree that their price is good, cos me too have a tight budget.

Some might think that with such a low price, their work might not be good. Remember? They are contractor not ID, so it is reasonable to me that their fee is lower then ID. So dun expect them to do space planning for you, you have to do some homework yourselves.

As for supervision, of course, you have to do it. Even it’s a well known ID, supervision is absolutely necessary, otherwise, all our clerk-of-work will be out of job le. : D

As for fixture like: w/c, basin, heater etc etc. They quote you based on what they have, but you might not like the design they have. So my advice is, just ask them to provide the labour for fixing and you get your ideal w/c, etc.

And the most important of all. Ask whatever you dun understand. Communitcation is the most important, if you have any questions call them, if they are busy, sms them he will call you back.

Great to hear that Cauli. Do update us on the progress and workmanship.

I am currently talking to Gek Jin too for my house renovation. =)

Hi spearhawk,

Actuall you can ask Gary to break down all the item quoted individually. I also on tight budget for the reno, so i requested him to do breakdown, then I decide which to do n which not to. : )

Then as for the brand of the item included, u can also ask him. If you dun like the design, just ask to provide installing labour, and you get to buy the design you like.

As for workmanship, what i do is that i provide his man with lunch, tea break, coffee everyday and a carton of canned or packed drinks for them. I learned this from my friend who engage them earlier. Good result so far, his man will update me what they doing etc....

Will update pic when i find out how to do it.

Old thread... but hope this remains as reference for whoever is hiring Gek Jin in the future.

All I can say is - I'm not impressed with their service and prices.

My story : bought a 3NG last year and got it this March.

Well, the place has marble flooring (for living + bed rooms), so I thought to save some $$$, keep the flooring, buang the rest and hire contractors instead of IDs.

But still, I got quotations from several different contractors and IDs for comparison.

GJ quoted 25K, and the IDs mostly quoted 30K++

So obviously, with a budget, I went for GJ - which I regret now.

In general, 25K covered -

• Hacking - Everything (kitchen, toilets, doors, windows) except for the marble flooring in living + bed rooms
  • 2x built-in wardrobes
  • Kitchen cabinets, counter tops
  • L-box for 2 bedrooms
  • Cornices for living room
  • 3 X solid doors, 2 X folding doors, 1 X sliding door
  • Windows (whole house)
  • Paint work
  • Tiling for kitchen + bathroom (up to ceiling)
  • Toilet bowls, sinks, heaters
  • Water piping
  • Gas piping
  • Polishing the marble flooring

Foolish me should have been more careful with the hidden costs -

• Electrical rewiring are calculated separate
  • Air-conditioning
  • Installation of lighting
  • Kitchen stove
  • Fittings - mirrors for bathroom, toilet roll holder, curtains, etc...

That, cost me another additional 4.5K. Yes - you HAVE TO BUY YOUR OWN LIGHTS, AIR-CON, STOVE AND FITTINGS.

So in total, everything turned out close to 30K, just a TAD bit cheaper than the IDs.

Not the end of story, their communication is abysmal. Worksmanship - depends on their sub-con.

But you'll have to keep a close eye and crack your whip with them.

So, if you're not in for a major blood spill, don't save that thousand dollars and just go for an ID.

Edited by xiv

i thought ID also charge seperately for the following items?

• Air-conditioning
  • Kitchen stove

i thought ID also charge seperately for the following items?

• Air-conditioning
  • Kitchen stove

I think he looking for package that give free air-con, lighting, etc...those u can see in every sat ST classified section for renovation.