Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hkching

Finally... A Place In The East

your house looks nice, however, I do have some comments;

1) the TV console in your MBR, left shelvings on the TV console makes the whole wall feature look very cluttered.. you should have gone without the shelvings.

2) MBR toilet, haha.. the cheap towel and the toiletries basket totally spoil the picture..

Haha... you are right... Too bad I'm not staying in a hotel or showroom.. Certain level of practicality needs to come in..

Cannot always live the dream...

As you can see, I got lots of stuff in the shelving. If no shelving then no place to put all those things.. so no choice..

Wanted to do suspended but that limits the walkway space.. so idea out...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

haha, on the contrary, i like seeing "real" stuffs like towels, rice cookers, kettles in toilets and kitchens....

imo, it makes the place looks more real and not like faked out pictures we always see in home n decor mags..

i always say, these kitchens and toilets look sooo nice becus they dun have all the practical stuff in them.. so even when we do our kitchens exactly as in the magazine, it doesnt really look dat good after all the accessories come into play.. :P

haha, on the contrary, i like seeing "real" stuffs like towels, rice cookers, kettles in toilets and kitchens....

imo, it makes the place looks more real and not like faked out pictures we always see in home n decor mags..

i always say, these kitchens and toilets look sooo nice becus they dun have all the practical stuff in them.. so even when we do our kitchens exactly as in the magazine, it doesnt really look dat good after all the accessories come into play.. :P

I agree. But when we shop for the practical stuff, we should buy items that compliment or matches the theme of the house. Like white towels in the toilet suit most toilet themes rather than colored towels. The standard rule is not too much contrast colors in the same space. I think IKEA catalogue is a gd example for inspiration. Usually they have many practical items in their kitchen pics for example. :)

I agree. But when we shop for the practical stuff, we should buy items that compliment or matches the theme of the house. Like white towels in the toilet suit most toilet themes rather than colored towels. The standard rule is not too much contrast colors in the same space. I think IKEA catalogue is a gd example for inspiration. Usually they have many practical items in their kitchen pics for example. :)

I've been using the towel for a some time. Really like it. So I don't think i will throw it away just for it to suit the house.

And many many things are like that too... As my ID say, the beauty of newly renovated place may just last 3-4 months. After that practicality will set in.

And it is the practicality of the place that makes us feel comfortable. Well, that's my opinion anyway..

It has been a busy 2 days with most of the reno done...

Here's the chengal decking...

IMG_2178.jpg

The decking was done by Liang Hoe Huat. They are really very good. And the price is very reasonable, at least cheaper than those quoted by IDs.

My balcony flooring was not very level. So, they spent the entire morning measuring and calibrating so that the final product is completely aligned with the surrounding skirting.

any idea how the drainage system under the decking runs? will it get choked? or need to remove everything in order to clean underneath?

Hi HKChing

Read your blog after doing search for Casa Merah in the forums.

Am moving there soon, too. Hope to get my keys in early April.

Bought at sub-sale in Jan, so quite ex :(, but still not as ex as current prices.

My fren was telling me current owners asking for $900 psf, because of Optima! Quite crazy right? Not worth it, I think.

Anyway, very glad that I stumbled into your blog so I can see how the reno will turn out.

Liked your TV console and feature wall, very simple but classy. And your use of wallpapers.

And I'm really happy to stumble onto your website coz I'm planning to do a bed just like your son's!

I will hv 2 daughters staying in 1 room (a 10 year-old and 7 year-old).

The rooms are really tiny so hv to save as much space as possible.

I think the bay window bed will turn out nice.

Hope to start my reno blog soon, once I hv pictures of the unit to share.

Going there tomorrow to reccee and do site showround with some IDs & contractors. So excited.

Btw, where did you get your floor plan? Hv been trying to get one which is of the right scale, but no luck.

Even the owner's agent dun hv a proper copy and she used to work for Wing Tai, the developer!

Can we get one from the management office or something?

Hi HKChing

Read your blog after doing search for Casa Merah in the forums.

Am moving there soon, too. Hope to get my keys in early April.

Bought at sub-sale in Jan, so quite ex :(, but still not as ex as current prices.

My fren was telling me current owners asking for $900 psf, because of Optima! Quite crazy right? Not worth it, I think.

Anyway, very glad that I stumbled into your blog so I can see how the reno will turn out.

Liked your TV console and feature wall, very simple but classy. And your use of wallpapers.

And I'm really happy to stumble onto your website coz I'm planning to do a bed just like your son's!

I will hv 2 daughters staying in 1 room (a 10 year-old and 7 year-old).

The rooms are really tiny so hv to save as much space as possible.

I think the bay window bed will turn out nice.

Hope to start my reno blog soon, once I hv pictures of the unit to share.

Going there tomorrow to reccee and do site showround with some IDs & contractors. So excited.

Btw, where did you get your floor plan? Hv been trying to get one which is of the right scale, but no luck.

Even the owner's agent dun hv a proper copy and she used to work for Wing Tai, the developer!

Can we get one from the management office or something?

Hi Umaisarah and HKChing

I am too planning for bed like HKChing! Though i dont live in Casa but my development is not tt big either! My "problem" is a bit bigger, I have 3 kids! my 2 gals will share a room and my son will take the smaller room. Hence I dont have a spare room for study. Scratching my head now. I wont consider bunk bed for my gals even it will free up space for a study table/area...sigh, any suggestions?

how i dislike the bay windows! but new developements will not have bay windows anymore, back to the 90s :). My old place was built early 2000s, the bay windows are the high type, worst ha.

any idea how the drainage system under the decking runs? will it get choked? or need to remove everything in order to clean underneath?

Your deck is very nice! but i heard its exp, can you share the cost (PM me if its not convenient). I'll be doing reno similar to yours, esp wall paper, I wont skip that! I read a few blogs that people go to Europa, I used to use Goodrich, but everyone told me Goodrich is exp.

Hi Umaisarah and HKChing

I am too planning for bed like HKChing! Though i dont live in Casa but my development is not tt big either! My "problem" is a bit bigger, I have 3 kids! my 2 gals will share a room and my son will take the smaller room. Hence I dont have a spare room for study. Scratching my head now. I wont consider bunk bed for my gals even it will free up space for a study table/area...sigh, any suggestions?

how i dislike the bay windows! but new developements will not have bay windows anymore, back to the 90s :). My old place was built early 2000s, the bay windows are the high type, worst ha.

Hi, Porcupine! Guess what, I have 3 kids too, and a maid!

Tt's why we bought a 4-bedder instead of 3-bedder :(

I'm not putting my maid in the household shelter so she's taking a room which will double up as a work-room.

So I've got to do up study areas in the bedrooms. Now figuring out the best bed design for my daughters.

Actually bunk beds not too bad.

Check out my Reno blog if u want to know what I have in mind :)

Phase 1 of my reno has been completed. All the carpentry are up and washing is done.

Here are some photos to share..

Cabinet in the dining area...

IMG_2145.jpg

Opened with Aventos HL

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

Living Room TV console with Feature Wall

IMG_2151.jpg

Mr HKChing selling his unit so fast??

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/196...sale-casa-merah

asking abt $1018 PSF.. very good margin if you can let go at this price.

Mr HKChing selling his unit so fast??

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/196...sale-casa-merah

asking abt $1018 PSF.. very good margin if you can let go at this price.

You are good.. :) Ya... I just sold my unit. Buyer made an offer I could not reject.

Based on my experience, nowadays foreign buyers look for ready to move in condition, and will pay more for nicely renovated home.

For renotalk friends, do more for your place. It will fetch good price.

Maybe will start another t-blog for my new place. The place already quite well renovated, so will not do much.

Your deck is very nice! but i heard its exp, can you share the cost (PM me if its not convenient). I'll be doing reno similar to yours, esp wall paper, I wont skip that! I read a few blogs that people go to Europa, I used to use Goodrich, but everyone told me Goodrich is exp.

Sorry for the late reply. Think the decking cost around $1888 including the planter area. I would recommend it as it give the balcony a very homely feel. Stepping on the decking barefoot is very nice as compared to tiles.

Not much maintenace. Water will seep down and flow to the drainage. Also no big items will get stuck underneath as the gap is so small between the planks, also we also stay quite high, so no leaves or stuff like that.

The contractor will do 4 access panels at the 4 corners. You can take it up to use water to flush the bottom if you want. Very convienient.

any feedback on the LG washer cum dryer?

Used for a year. No problem. But I did not use the dryer part as there is sun on my balcony 12 mths a year.

Hi hi... Managed to snap a few more photos before the camera went dead...

Master bedroom with bed.... The bed quite good, with storage at the bottom.. Just pull from the end..

IMG_2202.jpg

TV Console in the master bedroom...

IMG_2203.jpg

hi hkching,

is the bed from ikea? looks like the malm bed.. didnt know it came wtih storage...