Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
teenoyl

Concrete Spalling (ceiling)

hi forummers

this is my "virgin" post so please bear with me :)

will be getting my keys end june09 and had arranged for our inspection yesterday...

our excitement turned to horror when we realised that concrete spalling occured in the whole flat, kitchen, living room, dining room, all the bedrooms and even the store room is not spared either!!

i am lost.. what must i do?

p/s: i do have some pictures taken of the ceiling but have yet to figure out how to insert image :bangwall:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hi forummers

will be getting my keys end june09 and had arranged for our inspection yesterday...

our excitement turned to horror when we realised that concrete spalling occured in the whole flat, kitchen, living room, dining room, all the bedrooms and even the store room is not spared either!!

p/s: i do have some pictures taken of the ceiling but have yet to figure out how to insert image :bangwall:

Is this a new flat? If not....from HDB, Spalling concrete is a common surface maintenance problem especially in older buildings. It is largely due to a natural deterioration process called carbonation. Under the lease, lessees are responsible to repair any maintenance faults within their flat, including repairs to spalling concrete.

This service package gives flat owners information on the likely cause of spalling concrete, repair method, List of Spalling Concrete Repair Contractors and the recommended charges for spalling concrete repairs.

For spalling concrete without symptoms of ceiling leak, flat owners are to arrange for own repair works at own costs.

this is a resale unit...

Under the lease, lessees are responsible to repair any maintenance faults within their flat, including repairs to spalling concrete.

So either u ask the seller to pay for the repair cost or u got to fork out the money yourself. :)

hi forummers

Hi there,

I am also facing the same issue as you.

I wrote in to my town council and HDB dispatched an inspector to my resale flat, to be taking over next month, for a look last week. The inspector told me that there is a spalling ceiling repair package which HDB offer. The owner will foot 50% of the bill provided your MP endorses/ supports the request. He estimated my repairs will be $150 for spalling at 10-12 spots. Will have to wait for his letter before approaching my MP for his endorsement before HDB takes on the repair work.

Will share with you once HDB gets back to me.

Cheers

Hi there,

I am also facing the same issue as you.

I wrote in to my town council and HDB dispatched an inspector to my resale flat, to be taking over next month, for a look last week. The inspector told me that there is a spalling ceiling repair package which HDB offer. The owner will foot 50% of the bill provided your MP endorses/ supports the request. He estimated my repairs will be $150 for spalling at 10-12 spots. Will have to wait for his letter before approaching my MP for his endorsement before HDB takes on the repair work.

Will share with you once HDB gets back to me.

Cheers

hi...

*relieved*

understand fr your post that you will only be taking over your flat next mth, so actually we dont hv to wait till our 2nd appt to approach town council, ya? Meanwhile, I will write to town council and hopefully they get back to me soon...

keep me in the loop..

thxs!!

Emailed HDB yesterday and they have gotten back to us. They contacting the owner to share the bill with us.. ;)

Hi Teenoyl,

That's great! I am still waiting for the HDB letter which the inspector promised me...

My contractor quoted $250 for repairing the spalling spots.

Do share your repair cost when the bill comes.

Cheers

Hi, I'm new here in RT.

have the same issue of spalling ceiling for my resale flat.

initially during discussion over the sale & making OTP,

me & my family highlighted the ceiling spalling for repairs in both the bathrooms.

was told they will go thru 1st inspection & check with the HDB officer regarding the ceiling repairs.

now after exercise the OTP, eller agent revert say refused to repair the ceiling works saying dat the officer nv say hv to repair the spalling ceiling...!!! :furious:

i'm now stuck in the situtation whereby the HDB 1st appt is coming & the repair of the ceiling is not honoured.

upon checking with the officer dat did inspection, ceiling spalling is NOT in the check list during inspection.

felt cheated by the seller agent (seller always not present during discussions & viewing)

when msg the seller agent, the reply was very prompt & an immediate "NO" or "Cannot".

dun tink the seller agent ever call the seller to talk abt it at all. :curse:

HDB Officer mentioned that the seller have to report in order to get the ceiling done.

the flat isn't officially mine so "There is nothing much HDB or buyer can do". :bangwall:

is there a way i can get the seller to do it...??

my 1st appt is next week...

pls help...

Hi, I'm new here in RT.

have the same issue of spalling ceiling for my resale flat.

initially during discussion over the sale & making OTP,

me & my family highlighted the ceiling spalling for repairs in both the bathrooms.

was told they will go thru 1st inspection & check with the HDB officer regarding the ceiling repairs.

now after exercise the OTP, eller agent revert say refused to repair the ceiling works saying dat the officer nv say hv to repair the spalling ceiling...excl.gif! :furious:

i'm now stuck in the situtation whereby the HDB 1st appt is coming & the repair of the ceiling is not honoured.

upon checking with the officer dat did inspection, ceiling spalling is NOT in the check list during inspection.

felt cheated by the seller agent (seller always not present during discussions & viewing)

when msg the seller agent, the reply was very prompt & an immediate "NO" or "Cannot".

dun tink the seller agent ever call the seller to talk abt it at all. :curse:

HDB Officer mentioned that the seller have to report in order to get the ceiling done.

the flat isn't officially mine so "There is nothing much HDB or buyer can do". :bangwall:

is there a way i can get the seller to do it...??

my 1st appt is next week...

pls help...

Will be gng for my 1st appt in a couple of days time.

Hope can see the seller & discuss abt the spalling ceiling.

Think i will try to contact HDB again & see if they can help me do the inspection & see how it goes.

*fingers crossed*