Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sugardaddy

Glass Door For Shower Area

Hi

Just want to know from those who use a glass door to separate the shower area and the toilet area in their bathroom, what are the pros and cons?

Had a friend who did that, but was 'complaining' that have to clean the glass quite often due to the 'stains' left due to water/soap/shampoo.

If not using glass, anyone had any 'innovative ideas'?

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi sugardaddy,

Yes your fren is right. Me too. My MBR bathroom is small. So whenever I brush my teeth and spit into the sink, it hits the shower screen as well. So quite often need to clean it.

Hopefully someone here can give you an alternative solution if any to your woes.

Hi

Just want to know from those who use a glass door to separate the shower area and the toilet area in their bathroom, what are the pros and cons?

Had a friend who did that, but was 'complaining' that have to clean the glass quite often due to the 'stains' left due to water/soap/shampoo.

If not using glass, anyone had any 'innovative ideas'?

Thanks

A good habit is to rinse the shower screen after every bath. I've been using my Auscreen shower screen for 8 years and its' stainless :)

Besides glass, can also use those Auscreen shower doors. But also have to clean. One thing to note is that the silicon joining the door to the tiles may also have those mouldy marks. Glass door will also have those silicon joints.

The cheapest choice would be those plastic shower screen from Ikea.

Hi All

Thanks for responding!

Tried to google for this "Auscreen shower screen" but cant really find much info on this. Got pics?

Sorry for being 'mountain tortise'.

Hi All

Thanks for responding!

Tried to google for this "Auscreen shower screen" but cant really find much info on this. Got pics?

Sorry for being 'mountain tortise'.

Try "Austscreen"

Hi sugardaddy,

The glass shower screen is a good way to divide the dry/wet areas of the bathroom.

Maintanence is definitely a must but won't be too much of a chore once it becomes an everyday routine.

Just to share based on my experience:

- Aesthetically nicer compared to those acrylic shower screens or shower curtains with the nice see-through effect. Shy people have the option of having the screen frosted and opaque, and even with that you can even play around with a mix of clear and opaque areas.

- Maintanence is necessary but not too difficult. To avoid stains or mould, just need to rinse the affected glass areas after showering. It pays to also standby a cloth so you can wipe it dry or wipe off minor affected areas like what NCY mentioned.

- If you rinse daily, the stains will not form, just make sure you do a full cleaning at least once a week.

- The difficult part is that stains will gather on any silicone or rubber sealing areas affected over time, particularly at the bottom of the shower screen where the glass is mounted on the kerb. This is very hard to get rid off. But this will also be an issue and probably worse even if you use sliding plastic doors (like those bi-fold ones).

- The difficult part is that stains will gather on any silicone or rubber sealing areas affected over time, particularly at the bottom of the shower screen where the glass is mounted on the kerb. This is very hard to get rid off. But this will also be an issue and probably worse even if you use sliding plastic doors (like those bi-fold ones).

Yap me too having this problem at my old place. As for my new hse, i insisted to install the top hung type so as to avoid the bottom silicone thingy and do without a curb to divide up the place, instead i ask for a "drop" on the flooring. My contractor are still thinking how to meets my requirement. As my ceiling is false ceiling not concrete.

Yap me too having this problem at my old place. As for my new hse, i insisted to install the top hung type so as to avoid the bottom silicone thingy and do without a curb to divide up the place, instead i ask for a "drop" on the flooring. My contractor are still thinking how to meets my requirement. As my ceiling is false ceiling not concrete.

My is a drop . i find that it's more beautiful too. But I think need to hack the floor and relay if you wan the drop. Overlay maybe cannot achieve the effect

Sorry guys, just wanted to clarify, how does this drop work?

Meaning you have a curb, followed by a top-hung glass with space at the bottom to accomodate a sloped down recessed drop for water flow below?

Sorry guys, just wanted to clarify, how does this drop work?

Meaning you have a curb, followed by a top-hung glass with space at the bottom to accomodate a sloped down recessed drop for water flow below?

A drop meaning the entire bath area is lower than the toilet area. Depends on how many nos of drainage point in the toilet. i have two drainage points in the entire toilet, one for the shower and toilet area. If only one drainage point, u needs to accomodate a sloped down for water to that particular drainage point. My existing house only got one drainage so i need to do a curb to divide up the area and the shower screen sits on top of the curb.

Supersimon, any pic to show me how u install yr shower screen? Top hung or sit on the curb? how many drainage point in yr toilet?

A drop meaning the entire bath area is lower than the toilet area. Depends on how many nos of drainage point in the toilet. i have two drainage points in the entire toilet, one for the shower and toilet area. If only one drainage point, u needs to accomodate a sloped down for water to that particular drainage point. My existing house only got one drainage so i need to do a curb to divide up the area and the shower screen sits on top of the curb.

Supersimon, any pic to show me how u install yr shower screen? Top hung or sit on the curb? how many drainage point in yr toilet?

I need to take the pic. Don't have it with me now.

Original mine only have 1 drainage point. So my contractor add 1 more for me at the shower area.

My shower is the "drop"

My shower screen sit on the higer tile.

I need to take the pic. Don't have it with me now.

Original mine only have 1 drainage point. So my contractor add 1 more for me at the shower area.

My shower is the "drop"

My shower screen sit on the higer tile.

Ok i got what u mean, yr contractor raise the entire floor area to for this additional point and tis point is conceal. Try to cover it up during inspection by HDB, some fussy one might not approved it as it is consider conceal piping. I maybe wrong as long time didnt touch on renovation thingy. As for the bottom of the shower screen is it cover up by silicone too?