Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
born_again

The Baking Clubby

Ya lor..Froggy cake really got some standard there lor...remember my Volcanoes cake!?

Such a disgrace!!

Start to feels pressure to upload those soar eyes Home bake stuffs...haha...

Soar eyes lei,haha...

Amyway quickly upload yours la!!!

Is the taste nice?Mango must choose sweet sweet de!! :P

okie when i got time i will upload... :lol:

that's the problem... the mangoes look ripe but they actually are not... so NOT SWEET at all :bangwall: already added more sugar to compensate but seem like i should add even more.... :( luckily we both prefer not-so-sweet cakes.... :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
okie when i got time i will upload... :lol:

that's the problem... the mangoes look ripe but they actually are not... so NOT SWEET at all :bangwall: already added more sugar to compensate but seem like i should add even more.... :( luckily we both prefer not-so-sweet cakes.... :P

okie as promised... review and photos on my 1st attempt on mango cheesecake~ for my hubby's bday~ :sport-smiley-004:

got the recipe from here. adjusted the amount accordingly cos the original recipe is for a 9-in cake but mine is only 6-in.

Blunders:

1) Mangoes not ripe enough.

the mangoes looked good when i bought them. the auntie at the fruit stall also said it should be ripe enough for consumption on the next day (i.e. when i m going to make the cake). but... oh well...

when i cut opened the first one, so hard.... i told myself, okie fine maybe only this one that is not ripe.

then i cut the 2nd one... alamak it's worse than the 1st one... it's hard like an apple and the flesh is not even yellow! oh man! :bangwall:

so i gave up and left the rest of the mangoes in open... hoping that they would be slightly more ripe the next day. it did, but not sweet enough still :(

end result: my mango puree was not sweet enough :(

2) Read recipe wrongly....

after conversion, i was supposed to add 200ml of mango puree into the cream cheese mixture. but somehow my brain registered 100ml so i only added half the mango puree required :bangwall: realised this only when the cake was baking halfway in the oven, when i was thinking "how come i have so much leftover for mango puree??" :bangwall:

oh hindsight, maybe it's good that i added less mango cos else the cake would be too sour~ :lol:

3) i overbaked... i think...

The recipe calls for baking for 1 hr 25 mins. i thought, since my cake is smaller, less time should be needed.

around 1 hr, i checked the cake: sides have puffed up nicely but when i shook the cake, i thought the centre moves quite easily... so i thought maybe i should bake a bit longer.

around 1 hr 15 mins, i checked again... alas, the centre became "chao dar"~ :(

5491151858_96b3f6c6be_z.jpg

so i thought, maybe 1 hr would have been enough liao... experts, any comments? :unsure:

anyway, after that, i spread some of the leftover mango puree on cake top and put some mangoes on it. here's the final product :lol:

5491151966_dc7d0726ff_z.jpg

after seeing all the nice cakes from BunBun and froggy, i feel paiseh to put this up man... hahaha :P

Edited by marshmallow

its the thought that count.

Feel your decor very sweet. :)

Next time, try putting your mangoes into where you place your rice.

Somehow it help to ripen faster.

its the thought that count.

Feel your decor very sweet. :)

Next time, try putting your mangoes into where you place your rice.

Somehow it help to ripen faster.

hee....thanks for your encouragement :)

same logic as putting pears into rice to speed up ripening process?

hee....thanks for your encouragement :)

same logic as putting pears into rice to speed up ripening process?

yup yup ..

Likewise for avocado too. :)

Don't feel paiseh, I also started out with not so nice cupcakes in the begining before I progressed to cakes, Till now, my piping skills are still not good cos I haven't had time to practice as its on and off due to work and other commitments. So don't worry. :)

About the mangoes, yellow skin mangoes are not fantastic if you want to use for puree IMHO. I bought a few yellow skin mangoes before thats why I know this! You should choose the green skin mangoes as my family home has a mango tree which grows round green skin mangoes, not the oval yellow skin mangoes you see outside - the ones from thailand etc. The mangoes which are grown at home, normally the mangoes are left outside for a few days to 'ripen' after plucking them as they will taste sweeter by then. I can attest to it myself personally having eaten them alot since young. The flesh of the mango when you cut open should have a orange colour, thats when they are sweet.

Cheesecake baking in oven, you should monitor your cheesecake after 1 hr to keep checking on the surface. Actually your chesecake surface looks okay to me. ;) if you looked at my cheesecake pics, the one with peaches have a medium to dark brown surface. :P

Other than that, good work for your 1st attempt! You can continue to learn through trial and error like us.

okie as promised... review and photos on my 1st attempt on mango cheesecake~ for my hubby's bday~ :sport-smiley-004:

got the recipe from here. adjusted the amount accordingly cos the original recipe is for a 9-in cake but mine is only 6-in.

Blunders:

1) Mangoes not ripe enough.

the mangoes looked good when i bought them. the auntie at the fruit stall also said it should be ripe enough for consumption on the next day (i.e. when i m going to make the cake). but... oh well...

when i cut opened the first one, so hard.... i told myself, okie fine maybe only this one that is not ripe.

then i cut the 2nd one... alamak it's worse than the 1st one... it's hard like an apple and the flesh is not even yellow! oh man! :bangwall:

so i gave up and left the rest of the mangoes in open... hoping that they would be slightly more ripe the next day. it did, but not sweet enough still :(

end result: my mango puree was not sweet enough :(

2) Read recipe wrongly....

after conversion, i was supposed to add 200ml of mango puree into the cream cheese mixture. but somehow my brain registered 100ml so i only added half the mango puree required :bangwall: realised this only when the cake was baking halfway in the oven, when i was thinking "how come i have so much leftover for mango puree??" :bangwall:

oh hindsight, maybe it's good that i added less mango cos else the cake would be too sour~ :lol:

3) i overbaked... i think...

The recipe calls for baking for 1 hr 25 mins. i thought, since my cake is smaller, less time should be needed.

around 1 hr, i checked the cake: sides have puffed up nicely but when i shook the cake, i thought the centre moves quite easily... so i thought maybe i should bake a bit longer.

around 1 hr 15 mins, i checked again... alas, the centre became "chao dar"~ :(

5491151858_96b3f6c6be_z.jpg

so i thought, maybe 1 hr would have been enough liao... experts, any comments? :unsure:

anyway, after that, i spread some of the leftover mango puree on cake top and put some mangoes on it. here's the final product :lol:

5491151966_dc7d0726ff_z.jpg

after seeing all the nice cakes from BunBun and froggy, i feel paiseh to put this up man... hahaha :P

Hi marsh

I need yr cheesecake looks good! Really good for a first attempt. I had to throw away so many cakes in the beginning ... and I do like your very unuique and personal, one-of-a-kind decor on top too

Keep it up! (I sound like my daughter's teacher) Give you a "Good Job" chop :D

Don't feel paiseh, I also started out with not so nice cupcakes in the begining before I progressed to cakes, Till now, my piping skills are still not good cos I haven't had time to practice as its on and off due to work and other commitments. So don't worry. :)

About the mangoes, yellow skin mangoes are not fantastic if you want to use for puree IMHO. I bought a few yellow skin mangoes before thats why I know this! You should choose the green skin mangoes as my family home has a mango tree which grows round green skin mangoes, not the oval yellow skin mangoes you see outside - the ones from thailand etc. The mangoes which are grown at home, normally the mangoes are left outside for a few days to 'ripen' after plucking them as they will taste sweeter by then. I can attest to it myself personally having eaten them alot since young. The flesh of the mango when you cut open should have a orange colour, thats when they are sweet.

Cheesecake baking in oven, you should monitor your cheesecake after 1 hr to keep checking on the surface. Actually your chesecake surface looks okay to me. ;) if you looked at my cheesecake pics, the one with peaches have a medium to dark brown surface. :P

Other than that, good work for your 1st attempt! You can continue to learn through trial and error like us.

Hi marsh

I need yr cheesecake looks good! Really good for a first attempt. I had to throw away so many cakes in the beginning ... and I do like your very unuique and personal, one-of-a-kind decor on top too

Keep it up! (I sound like my daughter's teacher) Give you a "Good Job" chop :D

Thanks for all your kind words~ :)

BunBun, your green mangoes are the smaller, rounder type is it? cos i tried the oval, longer type green mangoes before and i think the flesh is more on the white side... something like those in Thai salad~

so fun to have your own mango tree~ talking about mango trees, my fren told me that in his company, there are mango trees planted along the fence. one day he saw some policemen at his company gate... guess what, they actually arrested some employees from the neighbouring company for trespassing - they were trying to "steal" mangoes from the trees hahahahaha :lol:

on the cheesecake surface: after 1 hr when i checked, the centre didn't have the dark spot as you can see in the photos. but at 1 hr 15 mins, the dark spot appears liao~ so i dunno if the dark spot should be there or not :unsure:

actually for puree, I like to use those pre-packed ones. i find their taste is more intense, and consistency and taste is the same time after time. After calculating $, find that it's also not much difference making puree from fresh fruits vs prepacked.

actually for puree, I like to use those pre-packed ones. i find their taste is more intense, and consistency and taste is the same time after time. After calculating $, find that it's also not much difference making puree from fresh fruits vs prepacked.

i think so too... think prepacked one will be more consistent in taste, but that day i had no time to go to supermarket, so had to buy fresh fruits from market downstairs... hahahaha :lol:

The green ones are bigger than apples and the ones you referring to. It's also easy to tell when mango is soft, just press the mango and see if it is soft slightly - its ripe already.

The thai mangoes are okay but if you want a sweeter taste, green skin mangoes are better! As long as the cheesecake taste fine, its not a problem with the surface. Alternatively, you can get puree (sweet or unsweetened) from Phoon Huat. They do sell them in 400g and I think they have the bigger sizes as well. When I see brown surface on cheesecakes, I think of those japanese cheesecakes u know what i mean and this sort of whets the taste appetite for cheesecakes ;)

Thanks for all your kind words~ :)

BunBun, your green mangoes are the smaller, rounder type is it? cos i tried the oval, longer type green mangoes before and i think the flesh is more on the white side... something like those in Thai salad~

so fun to have your own mango tree~ talking about mango trees, my fren told me that in his company, there are mango trees planted along the fence. one day he saw some policemen at his company gate... guess what, they actually arrested some employees from the neighbouring company for trespassing - they were trying to "steal" mangoes from the trees hahahahaha :lol:

on the cheesecake surface: after 1 hr when i checked, the centre didn't have the dark spot as you can see in the photos. but at 1 hr 15 mins, the dark spot appears liao~ so i dunno if the dark spot should be there or not :unsure:

hi hi ladies

so far no update in this thread. here's my latest which i did for my girl's end of term party ..

DSC02687.jpg

so much fun!

hi hi ladies

far no update in this thread. here's my latest which i did for my girl's end of term party ..

so much fun!

so cute!!! how you find that? Cute!!!

Nice! Fondant right?

hi hi ladies

so far no update in this thread. here's my latest which i did for my girl's end of term party ..

DSC02687.jpg

so much fun!

hi hi ladies

DSC02687.jpg

so much fun!

wah... that's a lot of effort~! :o but very cute! :)

btw, now looking for good cookie recipe that can be used for cookie cutter... really wanna try my doraemon cookie cutter leh~ :P