Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
howeas

4 Room Hdb Resale Flat Reno

Hi all,

Last month just manage to get our sweet home. However, it is a 22 years old flat :( so quite a number of things to do... First time owner so do not have any experience on renovating house and due to budget restriction, we do not intend to reno the whole flat. Here are the major works that we would like to do:

1. Redo both MBR and common toilet (i.e. change of toilet bowl, retile or overlay, installation of shower screen)

2. Change of Window (glass panel and grille)

3. Shifting of existing hob (including making a new hob top) + installation of a new chimney style hood.

4. making a storeroom by partitioning

5. making a L-box in living room

6. Repaint the whole house

7. rewiring the house

8. Change of main door gate (wrought iron or aluminium)

Would appreciate if anyone will be able to provide an estimation cost for the works listed above. In fact, we have budget limitation of 10K. Will that be enough.

In addition, what is the difference of getting an ID and just purely using contractor for reno? and shall I do it by a contractor with a lump sum quote or different contractors and quote for each respective work.

Advise is really needed and thanks in advance for any information.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

Last month just manage to get our sweet home. However, it is a 22 years old flat :( so quite a number of things to do... First time owner so do not have any experience on renovating house and due to budget restriction, we do not intend to reno the whole flat. Here are the major works that we would like to do:

1. Redo both MBR and common toilet (i.e. change of toilet bowl, retile or overlay, installation of shower screen)

3. Shifting of existing hob (including making a new hob top) + installation of a new chimney style hood.

7. rewiring the house

Would appreciate if anyone will be able to provide an estimation cost for the works listed above. In fact, we have budget limitation of 10K. Will that be enough.

In addition, what is the difference of getting an ID and just purely using contractor for reno? and shall I do it by a contractor with a lump sum quote or different contractors and quote for each respective work.

Hi howeas,

If you are already on a budget, i would suggest:

1) By opting window & grilles out, u are literally saving up 2k - 3k for other things. Unless it is really very jialat, like gonna fall off.

2) L-Box - Making a L-Box in living room would end up having more downlights thus increase the of rewiring cost. So by opting this out your electrical rewiring cost would goes down by alot and the amount u save on L-Box is abt $300 - $500. Rewiring without doing L-Box probably end up at $2K.

3) Toilet door - Not forgetting your toilet door. After u do the tiling for ur toilet, your existing toilet door might not be able to reuse. That would cost u another $520 for 2 toilet door. If you save up on L-Box, u can cover the cost for your 2 toilet door.

4) Actually there is $1K+ difference between hacking + tiling compare to overlaying.

The tiling for 2 toilet probably cost u abt $3600 with waterproofing. Hacking probably cost u $500-$1k. Almost half of ur budget gone for tiling part.

If you save up on your window & grilles, u more or less can cover the hacking and tiling cost.

5) Installing toilet bowl would probably cost u $150 each, since u have 2. That would make up to $300.

6) Repaint whole house would probably cost u $1500.

7)Change of main door gate - $530

8) Partitioning of store room, i can't give u any advice. As i'm not sure of the price.

If u gonna heed my advice, the calculation see below.

Rewiring - $2000

Toilet door*2 - $520 (dismantling of toilet door is not included)

Tiling w hack for 2 toilet - $4500

Toilet Bowl installation * 2 - $300

Repaint whole hse - $1500

Change of main door gate (wrought iron) - $530

Without adding the item below the rough cost is abt $9350, some more already opt out ur window grilles and L-Box. Either u need to prioritize the item

which is more critical and which is not.

Shifting of existing hob -??

making a storeroom by partitioning -??

Edited by alan26

Hi all,

7. rewiring the house

Based on the ones i know, the usual rates are as below. I learnt it the hard way, so just let me forewarn u abit...was also a first-timer...approach reno cannot be like buying goods off the shelf, price is one thing but the more impt is the serviceability of the contractor, durability, workmanship, integrity. This industry is very very grey...black sheep will give u fantastic prices for u to sign up then the nightmare begins...good luck...

1. Redo both MBR and common toilet (i.e. change of toilet bowl, retile or overlay, installation of shower screen) -> easily 5k

2. Change of Window (glass panel and grille) -> 2k

6. Repaint the whole house -> 1.5k

7. rewiring the house -> 2k

8. Change of main door gate (wrought iron or aluminium) -> aluminimium less than $200 have

Hi all,

7. rewiring the house

10k seem abit impossible

maybe u like to check on my Blog

regards

Simon

Hi all

Thanks for the information.

Really confused now.... Really appreciate all the reply... anyway, any contacts to share... I am looking for renovation contractor (not ID)...

thanks...