Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bachie

Construct Maid's Room In Backyard

Hi all,

Has anyone of you bought a house without a maid's room and subsequently got a contractor to build one in the backyard?

If you did, can you please let me know how much you spent and which contractor you used.

Thanks in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

Has anyone of you bought a house without a maid's room and subsequently got a contractor to build one in the backyard?

If you did, can you please let me know how much you spent and which contractor you used.

Thanks in advance.

You can call my contractor, John for a quotation. PM you already.

Thanks LCR, unfortunately, the seller is no longer selling her place :(

I'm so heartbroken.

Property prices are moving up. I think sellers are holding back waiting for higher prices.

Yup, I too would like to know what is the procedure to build a room in the backyard of the house and the price.

TIA.

To do the construction legally, you have to comply with the setback requirements and submit the necessary documents to the authorities for approval. You can get an architect to help you design the room and a contractor to build it for you. The additional built up space would add to the GFA and is taxable by IRAS.

My two cents of thought regarding construction of a maid room.

For a functional room, it probably requires an internal space of 2m by 2m minimally, with a window to one side, and better when designed with a pull down bed if you wish to have the maid doing the ironing within.

This means that for an internal width of 2m, it takes up to 2.3-2.5m when taking into account the brickwall.

Considering that for a typical terraced house, the width is 6m or 7m, within the back a kitchen with ample windows and also a door allowing access to the backyard. When having the proposed maid room attaching, one could see that it would consume about 40% of this back facade. As the access door of about 1m wide could not be eliminated, so it affects more than 50% of this facade.

And typically there is only two options for the window, either facing the back boundary wall or one side of the party wall.

I am also intrigued by Buttercarp's new property, and if it is a strata development?

Edited by Lauer

Thanks leechaorui and Lauer for your replies.

Lauer, not intriguing at all, just a humble inter terrace which will be inhabited by someone(me) who has not lived in a landed house before. It is not a strata development but a FH land.

The back yard is the size of 2 carpark lots.

I will definitely take into consideration the dimensions you gave.

Buttercarp,

The construction of a new house is truly an experience, particularly for one who engages the architect/builder route. I am grateful of the various contributors of this forum (and other forums) who tirelessly shared their experiences here for many years already. And to this forum I am now prepared to offer my two-cents worth of thoughts.

You would find joys during the process, and also face challenges & setbacks, but all nevertheless a journey to enjoy.

aiya if u are just building a maid's room and nothing else and u got plenty of space just go get basic contractor to do can already. When i look down from my bedroom i can see so many of my neighbors violating the law just build a maid room and erect a window above the boundary wall. I never understood why people ask for price of building xxx and yyy on the forum. How they expect forumers to quote? Are you looking for contractors or ID people who lark around the forum and pretend to be fellow forumer and tell u go look for my contractor AA o BB? All houses are different, the land you are sitting on also can be different. If a forumer who stay in Changi (cliff area hence solid ground) tell u don't need piling then ur house is on the beach (soft sand) then hence Changi will be cheaper to reno then how will u go scream at the contractor? Unless u post your location then don't ask people about procedure and prices.

My point is, contractors can do wonders and magic if u know what u want and u know your budget. Very difficult to pick up a call and meet contractors meh? So get up your chair, make an appointment on weekends and that'll solve your problems. In fact if i were u,i'll make 4appointments so i got 4quotations to choose from.

Thanks leechaorui and Lauer for your replies.

Lauer, not intriguing at all, just a humble inter terrace which will be inhabited by someone(me) who has not lived in a landed house before. It is not a strata development but a FH land.

The back yard is the size of 2 carpark lots.

I will definitely take into consideration the dimensions you gave.

In that case, you may want to consider A&A works to build up from the ground floor to the upper floor(s) and that would give you more space.

Cheers!

In that case, you may want to consider A&A works to build up from the ground floor to the upper floor(s) and that would give you more space.

Cheers!

Situ,

But hers is a new development/erection leh...

Situ,

But hers is a new development/erection leh...

Did she mentioned that hers is a new development/ erection? In any case, I prefer not to recommend illegal works. If it is going to be done legally, I think it is best to maximise what she is planning to build on the land.

Cheers!

Did she mentioned that hers is a new development/ erection? In any case, I prefer not to recommend illegal works. If it is going to be done legally, I think it is best to maximise what she is planning to build on the land.

Cheers!

Yup, mine is a new development.

Thanks leechaorui, how come i never thought of building more than 1 floor in the backyard?

I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind.

Perhaps after the CSC, I will launch a plan to build a mini home behind my backyard.

I have not measured it but according to the agent who mentioned she said it is roughly 10 x 10 m.

Great to have you guys around! :good: