Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kiven78

Ackerman & Smith Pte Ltd

sweeettt! me like methods for me to save money... :D

PM me if you feel this trade secret cannot declare openly...haha... TIA!

hommage trading...read abt that somewhere here that they dun have much

on display, mostly off catalogs...tio? how to sample like that?

i think im gna overloook simmons...turning attention to sealy and serta also.

so far have shortlisted King Koil's Grand Tavernier Blue and one of MaxCoil's mattress

but Nova...but then that place also...... :unsure:

not very good to disclose openly but its simple and basically let the salesperson compete among themselves in prices for you. of course you need to know a little bit so that the sales person cannot smoke you cos you did your research.

for hommage, the real showroom are in furniture malls etc. view there and buy from hommage at half the price. haha.

i pm you the details.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Guys, i made a mistake in purchasing from this place yesterday. :bangwall:

Had deposited 1k for total damage of 7k.

Was initially keen on the slide out sofa which i had hunted all over Sg

after seeing it at IMM.

Had planned to get a Simmons mattress as well, maybe around Jan but was roped in

by the lady sales talk and seemingly good price offered.

Went home to find out abt this place degrading reputation here in renotalk..Argh! :bangwall:

Had a bad feeling as usual thereafter. So this morning i gave a call to that place to

enquire on their mattress prices. Yesterday after discount, the Beautyrest Platinum King was sold to me at $3299. Today, i enquired price, she quoted $2879!!! :curse:

Backcare 3, what i was aiming for initially, was quoted yesterday at $3599, just now she said

$3399!!! Price can fluctuate drastically?!?!? Buy mattress like buy stocks is it?!? :furious:

Anyway, thinking of cancelling the order. But the invoice says $ not refundable unless otherwise stated. So, is there a way whereby i can state a case for my hard earned $ to be refunded?

Im thinking of going to small claims tribunal to lodge a claim. Can i do this using misrepresentation

of price as a reason? Or is there a term for it?

Sorry, noobie couple here, so maybe we kinda kan cheong.

Worse case scenario i close my eyes, swallow my heart pain and forgo

the 1k deposit if small claims cant do anything... :(

Appreciate your advices!

Rant over.

Hi,

Is this place really that bad? I've placed a deposit for a simmons mattress from them too. I've read some reviews abt this place whereby they had some alright reviews. I noticed that most bad reviews were towards the 'Heavenly Bed'? I actually went to different simmons boutique and the sales ppl (even the one i encountered at Ackerman) mentioned that the heavenly bed they carry is slightly diff from those in Westin. Indeed, upon trying the mattress, the difference is rather obvious.

The salesman at Ackerman told us that if you encounter a lower price for the model you have, the simmons system will automatically match your price to the lower price. so perhaps you can call them and ask them abt it? so even if you had bought the mattress for a seemingly higher price, perhaps the system would have matched it to a lower price? why not check with them on this first? I sure hope that nothing crops up for my transaction with them.

Hi,

Is this place really that bad? I've placed a deposit for a simmons mattress from them too. I've read some reviews abt this place whereby they had some alright reviews. I noticed that most bad reviews were towards the 'Heavenly Bed'? I actually went to different simmons boutique and the sales ppl (even the one i encountered at Ackerman) mentioned that the heavenly bed they carry is slightly diff from those in Westin. Indeed, upon trying the mattress, the difference is rather obvious.

The salesman at Ackerman told us that if you encounter a lower price for the model you have, the simmons system will automatically match your price to the lower price. so perhaps you can call them and ask them abt it? so even if you had bought the mattress for a seemingly higher price, perhaps the system would have matched it to a lower price? why not check with them on this first? I sure hope that nothing crops up for my transaction with them.

different shop sell same model at different names so you can never find a similar cheaper model outside.

for sealy series i eyeing

its call provence, harmony, knightbridge in different shops. same model price similarly, difference by a few hundred. so its how you get them to quote you the best price.

Edited by zhiz

different shop sell same model at different names so you can never find a similar cheaper model outside.

oh i see. i also got the platinum. But in El Nino's case, he enquired from the same shop? i was very tempted to go and compare prices after placing a deposit with Ackerman but can't seem to find similar models elsewhere besides Ackerman.

oh i see. i also got the platinum. But in El Nino's case, he enquired from the same shop? i was very tempted to go and compare prices after placing a deposit with Ackerman but can't seem to find similar models elsewhere besides Ackerman.

hi silhouette,

as per what zhiz mentioned, "different shop sell same model at different names so you can never find a similar cheaper model outside..." - a cunningly deceptive business tactic..

one thing i learnt is should compare prices before we place deposit...basic shopping skill but

me not shopaholic la...and another is that impulse buying is plain duh...worse is i had only planned

to enquire and maybe purchase the sofa there but end up getting swayed to buy the platinum as well when i was actually more keen on Backcare 3...fyi, i tried both and to me not much diff...Backcare 4 felt best under Simmons but kinda over our budget...

The salesman at Ackerman told us that if you encounter a lower price for the model you have, the simmons system will automatically match your price to the lower price. so perhaps you can call them and ask them abt it? so even if you had bought the mattress for a seemingly higher price, perhaps the system would have matched it to a lower price? why not check with them on this first?

she didnt let us know of this price warranty system they had...my mistake too for not asking but i was in a rush that day...even then, i've made up my mind not to take it even if its well priced...i already feel duped...plus, its already plain con tactics i.e. at least try to match with other outlets not bad la...but to sell me at higher price then quote me over the phone at much lower just coz i bothered to call and pretend to check price...i feel shortchanged man.

btw, how much you got your platinum mattress for? any freebies?

I will be cancelling all of my purchase except maybe for the sofa unless i can find it elsewhere (except Mr Decor, for obvious reasons)...if not i suck thumb, bang head and i move on..... :(

Hi,

Is this place really that bad? I've placed a deposit for a simmons mattress from them too. I've read some reviews abt this place whereby they had some alright reviews. I noticed that most bad reviews were towards the 'Heavenly Bed'?

just to add...diff SA may provide diff standard of service...

what i find is that sales is all talk and bull...its up to the individual to buy their sales pitch...

like goondu me... :bangwall:

tangible services like carpentry, f&b etc you will know for sure their standard and in the long haul

when little bad reviews snowballs to a mountainous ones, then you should treat these places / ppl like viruses...i.e. stay away..

for this place i bought at, i too read the gd reviews on them...before 2008...and somehow

2008 onwards, poor reviews started coming in from fellow forumers...what im trying to put across is

one man's meat is another man's poison...maybe u would be the luckier one?

try to call them up and enquire the price of the items you bought...if it varies alot then do the right thing...if is a what you paid then you can sleep easy bah...end up the product you buying is a renowed brand so shd not be a bother to you rgdg quality... what im fed up with was with the misrepresentation of selling price... :curse:

what i thot was a good deal after saving more than XXk from discounts, turns out im paying some hundred $$ extra for the mattress to make the deal look sweet..so all in all i paid more in the purchase price then what i could get if i bought at the price she told me over the phone...oh well... :curse:

Rant over.

Edited by El Nino_Al Nito

hi silhouette,

she didnt let us know of this price warranty system they had...my mistake too for not asking but i was in a rush that day...even then, i've made up my mind not to take it even if its well priced...i already feel duped...plus, its already plain con tactics i.e. at least try to match with other outlets not bad la...but to sell me at higher price then quote me over the phone at much lower just coz i bothered to call and pretend to check price...i feel shortchanged man.

btw, how much you got your platinum mattress for? any freebies?

I will be cancelling all of my purchase except maybe for the sofa unless i can find it elsewhere (except Mr Decor, for obvious reasons)...if not i suck thumb, bang head and i move on..... :(

actually i asked the salesman regarding the prices fluctuations as i read abt it on the forum before. then the salesman told me abt such warranty. yeah, i get why you're peeved. i would have felt the same too.

i can't rem exactly how much we paid for it but i think its around $2.5k for a queen size. he included 2 deep sleep pillows and the mattress protector. now that i read the lower quote the saleslady gave you, i think mine is a bit over-priced. perhaps i will give the salesman a call.

just now went to try the mattress again and drop by some other shop. test the sales ppl again and all pretend different model different prices. Then i rattle off the names of the models found in diff shops, they kuai kuai take out the list to compare and agree with me. muahahaha.....

btw taka reno sales now, by thurs opening their mattress section, dunno got special sales or not.

at the moment best and lowest priced for the sealy bed is at harvey norman. robinson most ex based on listed price even though their discount like wipe off $1k but still is costing around 500 bucks more than my 'match my price challenge' haha.

the best saleslady that is neutral and non pushy is at harvey norman. those at FM and courts sibey jialat. i got the contact of the harvey norman malay saleslady if anyone keen to get her to intro you to diff brands.

actually i asked the salesman regarding the prices fluctuations as i read abt it on the forum before. then the salesman told me abt such warranty. yeah, i get why you're peeved. i would have felt the same too.

i can't rem exactly how much we paid for it but i think its around $2.5k for a queen size. he included 2 deep sleep pillows and the mattress protector. now that i read the lower quote the saleslady gave you, i think mine is a bit over-priced. perhaps i will give the salesman a call.

2.5k for a queen size Simmons sounds reasonable...i went for King size, she quoted $3XXX and so called less 10%

equals $3XXX...when i called over the phone, this time she took her time to check against the price list, mumbled the retail price, then quoted less 10% is $2XXX...so yours shd be ok bah since King size is normally $200 or so more..although it does make me think that there really is no "less 10%"... :unsure:

my only freebies was Simmons mattress protector and 2 Napure classics pillows (are these any better or equivalent to the Deep Sleep pillows?)...press for more said cant already coz she gave us good discounts liao...now that i have researched...my foot ah good discounts! :curse:

i must've woke up on the wrong side of bed that day to make a stupid and impulsive purchase like this.....

just now went to try the mattress again and drop by some other shop. test the sales ppl again and all pretend different model different prices. Then i rattle off the names of the models found in diff shops, they kuai kuai take out the list to compare and agree with me. muahahaha.....

btw taka reno sales now, by thurs opening their mattress section, dunno got special sales or not.

at the moment best and lowest priced for the sealy bed is at harvey norman. robinson most ex based on listed price even though their discount like wipe off $XXk but still is costing around 500 bucks more than my 'match my price challenge' haha.

the best saleslady that is neutral and non pushy is at harvey norman. those at FM and courts sibey jialat. i got the contact of the harvey norman malay saleslady if anyone keen to get her to intro you to diff brands.

zhiz, actually do you think its still early for me to start furniture hunting?

coz my 2nd appt shd be in feb then i had granted the auntie and uncle extra 1mth extension,

plus some reno works of my own...i forsee around May latest to move in?

Coz way i see it, after CNY period like there's a lull in promotional activities from March to early May (except for the quarterly PC/electronics expos in March)...GSS late May then start cannot be i wait till then to buy big ticket items to tie in with the expected reno... :dunno:

with my anticipated loss of XXk before anythg really starts, gna need to be hunting for some bargains and true discounts now...

zhiz, actually do you think its still early for me to start furniture hunting?

coz my 2nd appt shd be in feb then i had granted the auntie and uncle extra 1mth extension,

plus some reno works of my own...i forsee around May latest to move in?

Coz way i see it, after CNY period like there's a lull in promotional activities from March to early May (except for the quarterly PC/electronics expos in March)...GSS late May then start cannot be i wait till then to buy big ticket items to tie in with the expected reno... :dunno:

with my anticipated loss of 1k before anythg really starts, gna need to be hunting for some bargains and true discounts now...

its a bit early but i did take some time to walk and shop and do market research my reno completing this month so i started about a month back

personally will recommend you try hommage, defu, star, cellini, lush. i think these are safer or at least cheaper.

if you are still a risk taker, ritz rymen can try. really nice sofa. i din dare to take the risk.

you got a lot of time to research but remember research means research only. window shopping, take notes, take pic.

Edited by zhiz

Guys, i made a mistake in purchasing from this place yesterday. :bangwall:

Had deposited 1k for total damage of 7k.

Was initially keen on the slide out sofa which i had hunted all over Sg

after seeing it at IMM.

Had planned to get a Simmons mattress as well, maybe around Jan but was roped in

by the lady sales talk and seemingly good price offered.

Went home to find out abt this place degrading reputation here in renotalk..Argh! :bangwall:

Had a bad feeling as usual thereafter. So this morning i gave a call to that place to

enquire on their mattress prices. Yesterday after discount, the Beautyrest Platinum King was sold to me at $3299. Today, i enquired price, she quoted $2879!!! :curse:

Backcare 3, what i was aiming for initially, was quoted yesterday at $3599, just now she said

$3399!!! Price can fluctuate drastically?!?!? Buy mattress like buy stocks is it?!? :furious:

Anyway, thinking of cancelling the order. But the invoice says $ not refundable unless otherwise stated. So, is there a way whereby i can state a case for my hard earned $ to be refunded?

Im thinking of going to small claims tribunal to lodge a claim. Can i do this using misrepresentation

of price as a reason? Or is there a term for it?

Sorry, noobie couple here, so maybe we kinda kan cheong.

Worse case scenario i close my eyes, swallow my heart pain and forgo

the 1k deposit if small claims cant do anything... :(

Appreciate your advices!

Rant over.

Hi nino,

my own personal opinion of your misfortune :

i believe that they provide you guys with 'Price gurantee' to assure lowest possible price in case price

fluctuate before delivery which we were promised by rougue salesman -JIM LOH.This price guarantee is

useful to a certain extent - your purchase will be price protect within stores model (apple to apple price comparison),models found in store A will most likely be exclusive to that particular store therefore

you can only hope that price will fall within that store you commit before delivery.

As long as you have proof that price falls,they should honor their in store price guarantee policy.

Nino i can feel for your pain and frustration but please preserve on for consultation 1,2 and finally hearings - judgement day for which justice will prevail > we just received Order of Tribunal in our favor requiring ACKERMAN & SMITH Pte Ltd to refund us our $400 deposit,failing which we may enforce the order accordingly :dancingqueen: .Reason of victory is due to cowardly Jim loh failing to turnout for the hearings :sport-smiley-004:

Kino you may proceed to lodge a claim against them by all means if they do not honor price guarantee,but i reckoned that all trust is shattered judging by your encounter.

Hi nino,

my own personal opinion of your misfortune :

i believe that they provide you guys with 'Price gurantee' to assure lowest possible price in case price

fluctuate before delivery which we were promised by rougue salesman -JIM LOH.This price guarantee is

useful to a certain extent - your purchase will be price protect within stores model (apple to apple price comparison),models found in store A will most likely be exclusive to that particular store therefore

you can only hope that price will fall within that store you commit before delivery.

As long as you have proof that price falls,they should honor their in store price guarantee policy.

Nino i can feel for your pain and frustration but please preserve on for consultation 1,2 and finally hearings - judgement day for which justice will prevail > we just received Order of Tribunal in our favor requiring ACKERMAN & SMITH Pte Ltd to refund us our $400 deposit,failing which we may enforce the order accordingly :dancingqueen: .Reason of victory is due to cowardly Jim loh failing to turnout for the hearings :sport-smiley-004:

Kino you may proceed to lodge a claim against them by all means if they do not honor price guarantee,but i reckoned that all trust is shattered judging by your encounter.

Hi kiven,

thanks for your inputs. you are spot on to notice that all trust is shattered.

plus i really did not get a gd deal overall despite her so called discount here and there...

i think what she had done was markup the price to an extent whereby she can afford to less

and there...

the only thing i might go ahead with is the sofa coz really love it...cant seem to find it elsewhr except

Mr Decor (which we read up abt as well) and Absolut Italy on 2nd floor IFC which had already closed.

Since price she quoted me was better than those two...i'll probably stick with it.. :unsure:

Alternatively i could follow your route thru SCT but my wife not keen in case must cough up more $

to pay for these legal advises and hours and the hassle...anyways, congrats on your Order of Tribunal against them! How long did overall procedure took from start to finish if you may?

Hi kiven,

plus i really did not get a gd deal overall despite her so called discount here and there...

i think what she had done was markup the price to an extent whereby she can afford to less

and there...

the only thing i might go ahead with is the sofa coz really love it...cant seem to find it elsewhr except

Mr Decor (which we read up abt as well) and Absolut Italy on 2nd floor IFC which had already closed.

Since price she quoted me was better than those two...i'll probably stick with it.. :unsure:

Alternatively i could follow your route thru SCT but my wife not keen in case must cough up more $

to pay for these legal advises and hours and the hassle...anyways, congrats on your Order of Tribunal against them! How long did overall procedure took from start to finish if you may?

if the sofa is found in a few places, chances are is that its found in a lot of other places.

Maybe take a pic and show us what it looks like.

try defu, hommage, s&c , shops around IFC.

Edited by zhiz

Hi kiven,

and there...

i think most salesman will deliberately up the price then reduce since the product in question is exclusive to their shop...end of day its up to us to decide whether product is worth the price.

Sofa wise my opinion is maybe you could take some pics of target sofa and head on to trustworthy HDB furniture shop eg S & C (search for their reviews in forum and u ll understand) and show them the pics,most likely they have similar models made in neighbor countries like malaysia/china/indonesia...price wise you can compare for yourselves but make sure you got the specs correct e.g check whether its full/half leather ( latter is usually recommended ).If im not wrong you could save substantially by this proven method through trustworthy HDB shop retailer.

Last resort if you have much determination and grit,go ahead and shoot them through small claims court.You will need to go through consultation 1,2 and then hearings - which is dubbed judgement day,if they were to deny their wrong doings and persist on.If you were to enter this stage please persevere on and let god do the rest for you,sweet victory will come swiftly on hearings.There is no legal nor consultation fee involve other than the small fees of registering ($10) and paying for a meager sum of like $6 for a copy of respondents ROC,our own transportation and time,we were really glad that we persist in that matter.Entire process took us a bout 2 months plus if i remember correctly all the way from 1st & 2nd consultation during which respondent blatantly deny mentioning that mattress in concern is the one used by Westin Stamford hotel,then finally hearings day.

Now we are waiting for our cheque,we will definitely enforce the court order if they fail to deliver us our hard-earned $400 deposit.