Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kiven78

Ackerman & Smith Pte Ltd

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
ACKERMAN & SMITH

*Please beware of this company and i strongly suggest u do your homework before buying anything ,especially a mattress which you will spend 1/4 of your life on.Below is a true account of our horrible experience we went through under ACKERMAN & SMITH pte ltd.

My wife and I went to the home decor fair at Expo in August hoping to land ourselves great deals. After trying through the various mattress brands,we were somehow confused as there wasnt a clear cut on the best comfort mattress we tried.It was then at Ackerman & smith-simmons booth that salesman - JIM LOH told us that the piece of mattress (Arlington Plush) was the one Westin hotel used for their- Heavenly bed which we had foolishly believed without pior check. The main reason for us to actually place a deposit on the mattress is because its a heavenly bed from westin.To our horror when we decided to verify our buy by checking online and calling up simmons salesline ,its actually an exclusive model from simmons to ackerman & smith - its not even similar in any aspect to heavenly bed from Westin according to simmons CSO - wee kiat and his manager.The unethical salesman-Jim Loh has the cheek to argue that its similar in certain specs and that simmon manager dont know anything about heavenly bed detailed specs but the fact is otherwise.We were shocked when we discovered that we can only changed our arlington plush to a similar or greater value item in store which we seriously wont.We were conned into getting a product that wasnt meant to be /promised and we were only allowed to change it to something that we dont want/need.He even avoid our calls and kup our calls after we did a detailed check and demand for our deposit to be fully refund as this is a serious misleading,truth bending,betrayal of consumer's trust case.We will log in our complain with CASE and post our horrific experience in all related forums to warn all prospective mattress buyers about this dishonest sales person.

Actually I have stayed at the westin KL a couple of times and found the so called 'Heavenly Bed' to be a so-so mattress. Are Ackerman & Smith the guys selling 'ENGLANDER' beds as well in Furniture Mall?

P.S.

How to report to CASE? ???

I read online need money to be a member of CASE.

Hi wako,

i would personally advise that you may wish to go small claim court directly for instant resolution,below is reply i get from CASE :

We thank you for contacting us on the above reference.

Hi Mr ng,

We can assist you by negiotating on your behalf with the company on best effort basis on your request and we do not guarantee whether they will accede to it. If we are not able to resolve the issue or the company do not response to our letters, the other alternative, you may want to approach Small Claims Tribunal (www.smallclaims.gov.sg) to pursue it further. (Please note that SCT take cases within the 1 year time-frame).

Having explain the above, we would appreciate if you could kindly revert back by 4 Sept 09 whether you would required our assistance or prefer to approach Small Claims Tribunal direct. We would like to inform you that we write on your behalf to the company and wait for their response within 2 weeks, if they do not reply to us, we will send another reminder and the procedures could take about 1 to 3 months depends on how fast they response to our letters or whether they will response to us. In the meanwhile, kindly see attached on how CASE can assist consumer in a dispute.

After reading above reply,i took the obvious route of going straight to Small claims tribunal cos i understand that if they fail to turn up on our 1st appointment -( 7 Sept 09 for our case as we went down yesterday for a claim) a court order will be issued against them according to the friendly staff.

Till then i beseech all victims to take appropriate actions to put all scrupulous companies to task less they take consumers right for granted.

Some documents and fees to take note for those who decide to justify their claims through Small Claims Tribunal:

1> x5 copies of claim forms ( 1 for personal reference)

2> x2 copies of invoices

3> x1 copy of company ROC - can be obtain at a fee of $4.80 from Crimson Logic Chinatown point #19-01/02

4> $10 fee for claims <$5000 - for claims above 5k kindly refer to www.smallclaims.gov.sg for details.

im looking forward to at least retrieve the $400 deposit come 7 Sept,will post the outcome for you guys.

Actually I have stayed at the westin KL a couple of times and found the so called 'Heavenly Bed' to be a so-so mattress. Are Ackerman & Smith the guys selling 'ENGLANDER' beds as well in Furniture Mall?

From my own understanding they carry Simmons,Serta,Tempur,Napure and Kingkoil for import & export models which are exclusive to them.I heard and read from somewhere that they carry Englander as well...just make sure that you dont fall into their trap by buying from below branches > http://www.ackerman.sg/contactus.html.

From my own understanding they carry Simmons,Serta,Tempur,Napure and Kingkoil for import & export models which are exclusive to them.I heard and read from somewhere that they carry Englander as well...just make sure that you dont fall into their trap by buying from below branches > http://www.ackerman.sg/contactus.html.

Guys, i made a mistake in purchasing from this place yesterday. :bangwall:

Had deposited XXk for total damage of XXk.

Was initially keen on the slide out sofa which i had hunted all over Sg

after seeing it at IMM.

Had planned to get a Simmons mattress as well, maybe around Jan but was roped in

by the lady sales talk and seemingly good price offered.

Went home to find out abt this place degrading reputation here in renotalk..Argh! :bangwall:

Had a bad feeling as usual thereafter. So this morning i gave a call to that place to

enquire on their mattress prices. Yesterday after discount, the Beautyrest Platinum King was sold to me at $3XXX. Today, i enquired price, she quoted $2XXX!!! :curse:

Backcare 3, what i was aiming for initially, was quoted yesterday at $3XXX, just now she said

$3XXX!!! Price can fluctuate drastically?!?!? Buy mattress like buy stocks is it?!? :furious:

Anyway, thinking of cancelling the order. But the invoice says $ not refundable unless otherwise stated. So, is there a way whereby i can state a case for my hard earned $ to be refunded?

Im thinking of going to small claims tribunal to lodge a claim. Can i do this using misrepresentation

of price as a reason? Or is there a term for it?

Sorry, noobie couple here, so maybe we kinda kan cheong.

Worse case scenario i close my eyes, swallow my heart pain and forgo

the 1k deposit if small claims cant do anything... :(

Appreciate your advices!

Rant over.

Edited by El Nino_Al Nito

Had deposited 1k for total damage of 7k.

after seeing it at IMM.

Had planned to get a Simmons mattress as well, maybe around Jan but was roped in

Went home to find out abt this place degrading reputation here in renotalk..Argh! :bangwall:

Had a bad feeling as usual thereafter. So this morning i gave a call to that place to

enquire on their mattress prices. Yesterday after discount, the Beautyrest Platinum King was sold to me at $3299. Today, i enquired price, she quoted $2879!!! :curse:

Backcare 3, what i was aiming for initially, was quoted yesterday at $3599, just now she said

$3399!!! Price can fluctuate drastically?!?!? Buy mattress like buy stocks is it?!? :furious:

Anyway, thinking of cancelling the order. But the invoice says $ not refundable unless otherwise stated. So, is there a way whereby i can state a case for my hard earned $ to be refunded?

Im thinking of going to small claims tribunal to lodge a claim. Can i do this using misrepresentation

Appreciate your advices!

Rant over.

I suggest you go around comparing the simmon mattress to know what is the average retail price. from there, at least you are able to get a fair valued priced mattress.

Had deposited 1k for total damage of 7k.

after seeing it at IMM.

enquire on their mattress prices. Yesterday after discount, the Beautyrest Platinum King was sold to me at $3299. Today, i enquired price, she quoted $2879!!! :curse:

Backcare 3, what i was aiming for initially, was quoted yesterday at $3599, just now she said

$3399!!! Price can fluctuate drastically?!?!? Buy mattress like buy stocks is it?!? :furious:

Appreciate your advices!

Rant over.

You can try Small Claims, if the product not delivered the Tribunal will ask the dealer to refund.

But no guarantees.

You can try Small Claims, if the product not delivered the Tribunal will ask the dealer to refund.

But no guarantees.

thanks for the advise... :)

product not delivered yet... i think this would not be a claim against goods or its condition

but rather service rendered...i.e. misrepresentation of selling price? :dunno:

make a big fuss, stand at door give out printout of this page to tell ppl the shop is black shop, scare away its potential customer. somemore expo this weekend if they take part. can join in the fun. make a fuss there.

I suggest you go around comparing the simmon mattress to know what is the average retail price. from there, at least you are able to get a fair valued priced mattress.

hi zhiz,

i would accept it if price differs from one retailer to another...

but for the same place to have different prices of a few hundred $$ for same product

within a day is plain con job... :curse:

same lady mentioned is after 10% off and on promotion but then dunno promotion till

when... Lol!

make a big fuss, stand at door give out printout of this page to tell ppl the shop is black shop, scare away its potential customer. somemore expo this weekend if they take part. can join in the fun. make a fuss there.

:sport-smiley-003:

haha...me no guts to do this kind of thing dude...

dowan to damage other ppl's rice bowl...can only share my experience...

from there, up to the individual to gauge and decide where to spend their hard earned $$...

i think should have asked for price list when she quoted me on the spot...

plus she only wrote down total cost not individual prices of things im getting...

like this her verbal quote over the phone may not be concrete enuff for me

coz she may increase the price again to say where got price diff..? :dunno:

does not look good for me...bye bye hard earned money...! :bangwall::(:(:(

:sport-smiley-003:

haha...me no guts to do this kind of thing dude...

dowan to damage other ppl's rice bowl...can only share my experience...

from there, up to the individual to gauge and decide where to spend their hard earned $$...

i think should have asked for price list when she quoted me on the spot...

plus she only wrote down total cost not individual prices of things im getting...

like this her verbal quote over the phone may not be concrete enuff for me

coz she may increase the price again to say where got price diff..? :dunno:

does not look good for me...bye bye hard earned money...! :bangwall::(:(:(

just distribute brochures quietly outside the expo lo

haha

anyway you can perhaps buy minimal things

what i can suggest is you can get a friend to go in, window shop and show some interest and get some quotes, bargain a lot, get them to write down some written quotes and price, and then you use this price list to insist on buying at those prices that they quote your friend.

what i can suggest is you can get a friend to go in, window shop and show some interest and get some quotes, bargain a lot, get them to write down some written quotes and price, and then you use this price list to insist on buying at those prices that they quote your friend.

cool... good idea! :)

would be troublesome to do but could gain something concrete as evidence...

even then, if quoted price is lesser, i wouldnt be buying also...

i detest dishonesty and since im bitten, i will shun this shop for good and take

my money elsewhere... :D

i take it as an expensive lesson learnt...

lose abit now rather then more later and my sanity with it... :bangwall:

cool... good idea! :)

would be troublesome to do but could gain something concrete as evidence...

even then, if quoted price is lesser, i wouldnt be buying also...

i detest dishonesty and since im bitten, i will shun this shop for good and take

my money elsewhere... :D

i take it as an expensive lesson learnt...

lose abit now rather then more later and my sanity with it... :bangwall:

if you want sealy bed i can teach you a method to get the best price. tried it last weekend and work beautifully.

hommage trading has super cheap furniture compare to what you can get outside fopr exactly the same products (eg defu, furniture mall shops)

Edited by zhiz

if you want sealy bed i can teach you a method to get the best price. tried it last weekend and work beautifully.

hommage trading has super cheap furniture compare to what you can get outside fopr exactly the same products (eg defu, furniture mall shops)

sweeettt! me like methods for me to save money... :D

PM me if you feel this trade secret cannot declare openly...haha... TIA!

hommage trading...read abt that somewhere here that they dun have much

on display, mostly off catalogs...tio? how to sample like that?

i think im gna overloook simmons...turning attention to sealy and serta also.

so far have shortlisted King Koil's Grand Tavernier Blue and one of MaxCoil's mattress

but Nova...but then that place also...... :unsure: