Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wind30

Reno For Landed

one thing about parquet is that the strips will contract a bit over time, so the gap between them will show especially if the layer does a bad job. the wood they use these days are also younger and softer, hence more prone to indentation if u put something heavy like your bed over it. in your picture, the short timber strips should have been laid in a L shape pattern. It's such a waste to hack them away as they look to be in pretty good condition still. But i understand your feelings.

your contractor should be best to advise you on shifting your toilets. if it affects the main sewage pipe that run under your property, then you will to apply for permit.

my A&A will hopefully start soon. Drawings are now with URA for approval going into the second week. It sure seems really slow.

ya, you know how to prevent the gap from appearing? The parquet in my present place, 5 years old, already have quite a number of ugly gaps.....

They say the burmese teak is older and better than indonesian.

The old flooring in my place is good condition but I thought they are really ugly. I need to see how much the quote is for long strip wood. It is either to go all the way and spend to get good quality wood or just revarnish the floor.....

no quotes is back yet. Do you guys know how much is psf is for long strip teak? my floor area is around 700sqft for bedrooms.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
the location is at lentor.

Let me share with you this website which I found VERY VERY VERY useful.

www.renotalk.com

From it you can find the prices of the latest transactions, the date if transaction and BEST OF ALL, the actual address of the unit sold. URA website only give the rough location of the unit. We all know the prices can differ by quite a fair bit. So if you are wondering why 1 unit at street XXX sold at 1.6 million while another sold at 1.4 million, now you can go down and check out both units and see their facing, conditions to get a better idea.

Lentor's not a bad location :) Thanks for sharing! Btw, is yours 2 or 3 storey house?

Edited by Milgram

Lentor's not a bad location :) Thanks for sharing! Btw, is yours 2 or 3 storey house?

I got countryside so I think is around 3 storeys but the 2nd storey is only half as the living is double height.

I got countryside so I think is around 3 storeys but the 2nd storey is only half as the living is double height.

Oh, it's countryside :) Okay...my friend's in-laws staying there and she said the same thing as you...I get it now.

Thanks again for sharing! :) Hope you'd be able to find a good renovator who will do up your house nice nice :)

Cheers!

The ground floor is build on top of concrete and soil. So when it rains the water flows into the garden outside then it water will floor below as well. So when it heats up, water vapour comes up. So will have water marks. BUT if you water proof it properly then it should be ok.

As for the upstairs flooring, if your budget allows you, it is best to redo. I think it changes the outlook of the interior as well. So it is good.

Usually staircase are made of metal and concrete. But load wise, hmmm i am not sure if it can hold the marble weight. I think can la. I think your contractor will be able to advise better ba. Most likely can la.

Renovation is easier than A&A lo. A&A need to apply for alot of permits.

So yours starting reno soon ar?

ya, you know how to prevent the gap from appearing? The parquet in my present place, 5 years old, already have quite a number of ugly gaps.....

They say the burmese teak is older and better than indonesian.

The old flooring in my place is good condition but I thought they are really ugly. I need to see how much the quote is for long strip wood. It is either to go all the way and spend to get good quality wood or just revarnish the floor.....

no quotes is back yet. Do you guys know how much is psf is for long strip teak? my floor area is around 700sqft for bedrooms.

nothing much u can do to existing gaps other than change the whole floor. my contractor told me can never have no gaps but he can only try to minimise. to minimise, he says make sure the timber strips are really dry (his subcon bakes them again) and also during installation, he mention "tying" the strips tighter (not sure what he meant). let's see.

one thing about parquet is that the strips will contract a bit over time, so the gap between them will show especially if the layer does a bad job. the wood they use these days are also younger and softer, hence more prone to indentation if u put something heavy like your bed over it. in your picture, the short timber strips should have been laid in a L shape pattern.

Hi scenic98, what's a good & similar replacement for parquet? Thanks!

Hi scenic98, what's a good & similar replacement for parquet? Thanks!

i am no expert, but i guess the closest will be those laminates.

to me, i can live with the negative aspects of parquet.

(so excited...already gotten approval from ura for my plans)

i am no expert, but i guess the closest will be those laminates.

to me, i can live with the negative aspects of parquet.

(so excited...already gotten approval from ura for my plans)

Congrats to you! :)

I heard & seen for myself that laminated flooring tends to "pop out" after a while...perhaps due to water or seepage. Is Timber flooring similar to parquet?

I heard & seen for myself that laminated flooring tends to "pop out" after a while...perhaps due to water or seepage. Is Timber flooring similar to parquet?

tks bro.

good thing about laminates though, there's warranty for them. but it just feels different steping on them.

i think timber flooring refers to long, wider, thicker wood panels laid on floors....(i most likely to be wrong here)

I got my quote back.

IT is quite expensive.

$150k for wetworks and $100k for carpentry. No major A&A. only minor changes in the layout. Change ALL flooring to marble and 3" wide timber floors. Change stairs flooring, and railings. Change all windows. Redo 4 toilets. Redo car porch flooring, gate. Redo roof with german tiles. Feature walls + beds. redo kitchen.

I got quote 22k for marble. What does the up to $14/psf material cost mean in the quote? Does it mean I can source outside for marble and as long as it is lower than 14psf, my contractor will buy for me? Or this $14/psf means internal price list?

Because I got another quote for flooring which is 19k and up to $20/psf material. Does the $xx/psf mean anything? If it is applicable to only internal pricing, then it is meaningless right cuz the contractor can price his marble any price he like.

Edited by wind30

Timber and parquet is the same...

I got my quote back.

IT is quite expensive.

$150k for wetworks and $100k for carpentry. No major A&A. only minor changes in the layout. Change ALL flooring to marble and 3" wide timber floors. Change stairs flooring, and railings. Change all windows. Redo 4 toilets. Redo car porch flooring, gate. Redo roof with german tiles. Feature walls + beds. redo kitchen.

I got quote 22k for marble. What does the up to $14/psf material cost mean in the quote? Does it mean I can source outside for marble and as long as it is lower than 14psf, my contractor will buy for me? Or this $14/psf means internal price list?

Because I got another quote for flooring which is 19k and up to $20/psf material. Does the $xx/psf mean anything? If it is applicable to only internal pricing, then it is meaningless right cuz the contractor can price his marble any price he like.

Yes, the $xx/psf mean a lot to you n also to the contractor. Up to $14/psf is the marble you selecting from the tiles shop should not exceed the pricing of $14/psf, so u can only choose those marble price range below $14/psf only. The contractor can't price his marble at any price he like, cos the tiles shop had already indicated their retail price for individual type of marble.

Setting the limitation to the owner for the selection of the marble was done by the contractor, the lowest $xx/psf he set to the owner, the more he may earn, although the tiles shop also give him commission for bringing the customer to them.

Selecting of marble should be careful and caution. In the market, there are also compressed marble, so just be careful on that.

wow. that is rather pricey. The second quote you gotten seems better. Lower price and they allow you to pick more expensive marble. Sometimes they will select some marble to show you for you to decide if you want the marble they picked. Otherwise, they will bring you to 1-2 shop whereby you can choose the marble from the store yourself.

Do they include ID work? Maybe that is why it is so expensive? They do 3-d design for you? selection of colour scheme etc? Does it include the toilet accessories? (wc, sink etc) Electrical points? The lights for the electrical points?

wow. that is rather pricey. The second quote you gotten seems better. Lower price and they allow you to pick more expensive marble. Sometimes they will select some marble to show you for you to decide if you want the marble they picked. Otherwise, they will bring you to 1-2 shop whereby you can choose the marble from the store yourself.

Do they include ID work? Maybe that is why it is so expensive? They do 3-d design for you? selection of colour scheme etc? Does it include the toilet accessories? (wc, sink etc) Electrical points? The lights for the electrical points?

but if they bring you to their "shops" then isn't the pricing a bit arbituary? They could ask the tile shop to price a $15 marble $20.

Does not include toileteries. but include aircon