Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jennytansc

Owner's Worries & Headache

I am glad that this forum is here to let me voice out my unhappines with my tenant.

i have 1 v big issue abt my tenant who recently pay me extra $50 for using the aircon in her room. Initially she dun want the aircon but then subsequently the weather is toooo hot and she decided to pay additional for it . the earlier agreed $50 lor. not she dun pay she oni use it for less than 1mth. but she is using the aircon day & nite leh. omg.. we as owner is limiting the no of hrs we use the aircon liao wor we usually cool the room and on it for few hrs till abr 3+am my hb will be cold and switched it off to fan.

but this tenant on it till moni till she goes to work so she on it since the moment i switch on the power 9+pm till moni 730am. then wkend today wow sey,. she on since last nite 9+pm till nw i till will be till tomolo moni 730am again leh.

how to tactfully tell her to off it ar>> the electrical bill for nxt mth sure die lar. then $50 i doubt enuf to cover her air con that she on for soooo many hrs leh.. i think i buay tahan liao. i must go tell her off it later aldy... somemore she has a frd who want to come to rent my room to share with her .

Is it too much to ask for further increase in the aircon bill? nw she is paying $400 per pax with aircon.

I hope no one will scold me that it the every right to let the tenant on the aircon 24hrs??? I am not being stingy but i nid to justify that this $50 is enuf to cover the utility for aircon. cant be end of the day I am topping up where I myself is using the wall fan during the day.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

If you agree to the price of air-con usage, I think you cannot now turn back the clock. Since you feel that the air-con charges are so high, why not wait till you receive the utilities bill and study it before speaking with your tenant. I think your tenant will understand if you show her the evidence and discuss the matter with her.

If she adjust the temp at 25 degrees and your air con is the inverter type, I think the utilities should not be too high. If your tenant and you have a fairly good relationship, don't spoil it by flying into a rage to tell her off on air-con usage. Some patience will go a long way, wait for the utilities bill to come. You want to be happy and you want her to be happy too.

A quicker way to know how much you incurred on your electricity bill is :

On your last month bill, it will show the readings taken or estimated. Then check the reading of your meter, the difference of the 2 will be the consumption to date, multiply by 0.2321 will give u up to date electricity charges in $.

(Current rate is $0.2321/kw.)

If this $ is way above your monthly electricity component then u r in trouble.

$50 per month as agreed with your tenant: 50/0.2321 = 215.42 kw

Edited by chronograph

I am glad that this forum is here to let me voice out my unhappines with my tenant.

i have 1 v big issue abt my tenant who recently pay me extra $50 for using the aircon in her room. Initially she dun want the aircon but then subsequently the weather is toooo hot and she decided to pay additional for it . the earlier agreed $50 lor. not she dun pay she oni use it for less than 1mth. but she is using the aircon day & nite leh. omg.. we as owner is limiting the no of hrs we use the aircon liao wor we usually cool the room and on it for few hrs till abr 3+am my hb will be cold and switched it off to fan.

but this tenant on it till moni till she goes to work so she on it since the moment i switch on the power 9+pm till moni 730am. then wkend today wow sey,. she on since last nite 9+pm till nw i till will be till tomolo moni 730am again leh.

how to tactfully tell her to off it ar>> the electrical bill for nxt mth sure die lar. then $50 i doubt enuf to cover her air con that she on for soooo many hrs leh.. i think i buay tahan liao. i must go tell her off it later aldy... somemore she has a frd who want to come to rent my room to share with her .

Is it too much to ask for further increase in the aircon bill? nw she is paying $400 per pax with aircon.

I hope no one will scold me that it the every right to let the tenant on the aircon 24hrs??? I am not being stingy but i nid to justify that this $50 is enuf to cover the utility for aircon. cant be end of the day I am topping up where I myself is using the wall fan during the day.

i thk u asking $50 is very fair..but your tenant is one **** of a kiasu...like many pple who know...must make sure get full money's worth and more...

u shd voice out aft u rec ur latest bil...if cannot resolve then give back him/her the $50 and revoke the offer :rolleyes:

If it is an inverter unit, when your tenant turn on the air-con, the rest of the FCUs should be turned on too to maximise the usage, then everyone will benefit. I'm no expert but $50 is more than enough to cover the bill. Just sharing my experience, my household have 6 persons & air-con is turn on 18 hours, with 3 TVs & a giant fridge & 4 computers & many appliances, the bill came out to be less than $300 every month.

I used to rent an aircon-room at $450, that was like in 2002. I always on it when, I am back from work till next morning when I go to work. The landlord has no issue with it. The thing is if you rent out a room as aircon, then you cant restrict the hours unless agreed beforehand. I would say, you should rent at $100 plus whatever basic rent you want for the room if you include the aircon....that way electricity is well covered and you dun have to worry about the e-bill.

I guessed my landlord is okay with it...coz he did the samething as well, basically aircon all the time.

hello jennytansc,

I think you could speak to her nicely regarding the issue.

Most of the times, tenants who are renting rooms do not know

what the bill is like. Simply because they have not

experience paying the pub bills before.

So its good to let her understand the situation, hopefully she will be more sensible.

goodluck!

Same situation here. For my case. My tenant sometimes can come home quite late....then slept till quite late too. My air con is non-invertor type. Hence for eg me and hubby slept at 11pm - 630am daily. but my tenant on air con from 12am till 12pm or even later i would not know as i already gone to work. So just imagine the usuage....basically is almost daily 12hrs minimum air con usage!! Somemore she had lab top, reading lamp & a 24hrs power on "radio"alarm clock in her room.

She use my 8.5kgs washer once a week and i use 2 times a week. I used to give her 2 days a week too..but i realise she use my washer olso when she just have 5-6pcs of clothings!! So eventually i feel that a day is sufficient for her.

Although my tenant seldom at home...but i realise my utilities bills had raise our usual 80 (before our tenant) to 170 for the past few months and now whopping $230 this month!!! Its only 3 person in the house including my tenant!!! I get a real SHOCK!!!

I do not know if it is because of the recent 10% hike in the bills or mis-used of electricity somewhere?i do not intend to raise her rental yet..i wanna monitor first..but tot of sharing with her the hike of my bills and if she can help us by exercise more saving in some ways too? Is it nice to do it this way??In dilema!!

Same situation here. For my case. My tenant sometimes can come home quite late....then slept till quite late too. My air con is non-invertor type. Hence for eg me and hubby slept at 11pm - 630am daily. but my tenant on air con from 12am till 12pm or even later i would not know as i already gone to work. So just imagine the usuage....basically is almost daily 12hrs minimum air con usage!! Somemore she had lab top, reading lamp & a 24hrs power on "radio"alarm clock in her room.

She use my 8.5kgs washer once a week and i use 2 times a week. I used to give her 2 days a week too..but i realise she use my washer olso when she just have 5-6pcs of clothings!! So eventually i feel that a day is sufficient for her.

Although my tenant seldom at home...but i realise my utilities bills had raise our usual 80 (before our tenant) to 170 for the past few months and now whopping $230 this month!!! Its only 3 person in the house including my tenant!!! I get a real SHOCK!!!

I do not know if it is because of the recent 10% hike in the bills or mis-used of electricity somewhere?i do not intend to raise her rental yet..i wanna monitor first..but tot of sharing with her the hike of my bills and if she can help us by exercise more saving in some ways too? Is it nice to do it this way??In dilema!!

$230-88 (10% utility fee increase) =$142

How much rent are u charging her?

Hmm...If you are charging $500 rental, you still earn $358 monthly after deducting the utility fee incurred by her.

U are the landlord, of course u have the right to decide the rental fee of your room. But take note that there are many rooms available for rent outside. If u increase the rent too much, she may decide to move out lor.

Edited by forgotten

For non-aircon rate, im charging my tenant $550 and the other is $450 (1 person in a room)

I dont restrict how many times they wash their clothes, shower etc.. because rental includes PUB bill.

Currently for 4 person, our PUB bill w/o aircon is about $120-$130 on average.

Once my reno is done, aircon will be available.. I will offer them aircon usage w/o adjusting the rental instead lets splits the bill.

Eg. any surplus above $130 to be split by 4 person which i think should be fair.

If i only add extra $50 for aircon rate.. than i would start to get worried if tenant on aircon 24 hrs daily.. worse it would be difficult to restrict them