Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
thirdrockdweller

Project Home

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Is the lights using halogen or enerery saving bulbs?

Should be energy saving bulb. AFAIK, halogen is only able to produce yellow light.

Is the lights using halogen or enerery saving bulbs?

Hi samgalz,

It uses an E27 bulb. Wattage and type (Energy saving or otherwise) is up to the user.

I went with a 75W incandescent bulb. The shade of the lamp is actually a series of polycarbonate lenses and with the bulb turned on, the bulb is visible through said lenses. Somehow, the traditional shape of an incandescent bulb (as opposed to the modern compact fluorescent lamps) looks nicer and I believe convey the intended effect of the design (Lighthouse).

Ultimately, this is highly subjective and an imprecise science. To each his own. Nothing wrong with using either ;)

Edited by thirdrockdweller

Hi samgalz,

It uses an E27 bulb. Wattage and type (Energy saving or otherwise) is up to the user.

I went with a 75W incandescent bulb. The shade of the lamp is actually a series of polycarbonate lenses and with the bulb turned on, the bulb is visible through said lenses. Somehow, the traditional shape of an incandescent bulb (as opposed to the modern compact fluorescent lamps) looks nicer and I believe convey the intended effect of the design (Lighthouse).

Ultimately, this is highly subjective and an imprecise science. To each his own. Nothing wrong with using either ;)

Erm, how much is the lamp btw? I like the effect. I wonder if I use an energy saving type of bulb will it be bright enough to light up the dining area

Erm, how much is the lamp btw? I like the effect. I wonder if I use an energy saving type of bulb will it be bright enough to light up the dining area

What i learn from the design process, don't think too much whether the dining pendant would be bright enough to light up the area.

A dining pendant is used more for decoration & accent purpose. To brighten the area, you would depend on other lights (eq. downlights).

Erm, how much is the lamp btw? I like the effect.

Retails for $515 but got it knocked down to about $450 :)

I like the effect. I wonder if I use an energy saving type of bulb will it be bright enough to light up the dining area

I guess you could have different bulbs tested out @ the shop. Nothing like a good experiment :)

What i learn from the design process, don't think too much whether the dining pendant would be bright enough to light up the area.

A dining pendant is used more for decoration & accent purpose. To brighten the area, you would depend on other lights (eq. downlights).

Totally agree :D

Yeah, I know, i am trying to balance functional and aesthetics, as the dining area is like 2.5m2 only, and trying to save cost of building extra lboxs in some area :P

Yeah, I know, i am trying to balance functional and aesthetics, as the dining area is like 2.5m2 only, and trying to save cost of building extra lboxs in some area :P

You can install some spotlights on your ceiling directly. This way, you don't need to get L-box.

You can install some spotlights on your ceiling directly. This way, you don't need to get L-box.

As in those that hang on a rod type? I wonder is there any energy saving lights.

for me no Lboxes or cove lighting so got to think of something else

my hubby love lboxes but I have too many false ceilings already, I was thinking of doing something different for dining area. Sigh, looks like i still have to do some.

Paiseh 3rdrockdweller, side tracked ur thread. :P

DIY Project 1 - Completed!

A dozen of this (Ikea Lampan)

Lampan-small.jpg

+ some time + Lots of patience =

Lampan-Lit.jpg

The Dodecahedron Platonic Sun

Lampan-off.jpg

Found the plan to build this off the internet sometime ago and I told myself I just had to make one. Was originally intended to be hung above the study table but that was before I realized how ridiculously massive this thing is :o . It has since been repurposed into a floor lamp ;) Nevertheless, I still have a faint urge to have it be my study room pendant lamp. We'll see :)

Edited by thirdrockdweller

DIY Project 1 - Completed!

A dozen of this (Ikea Lampan)

Lampan-small.jpg

+ some time + Lots of patience =

Lampan-Lit.jpg

The Dodecahedron Platonic Sun

Lampan-off.jpg

Found the plan to build this off the internet sometime ago and I told myself I just had to make one. Was originally intended to be hung above the study table but that was before I realized how ridiculously massive this thing is :o . It has since been repurposed into a floor lamp ;) Nevertheless, I still have a faint urge to have it be my study room pendant lamp. We'll see :)

Great effort! :good: