Project Home

DIY Project 1 - Completed!

A dozen of this (Ikea Lampan)

Lampan-small.jpg

+ some time + Lots of patience =

Lampan-Lit.jpg

The Dodecahedron Platonic Sun

Lampan-off.jpg

Found the plan to build this off the internet sometime ago and I told myself I just had to make one. Was originally intended to be hung above the study table but that was before I realized how ridiculously massive this thing is :o . It has since been repurposed into a floor lamp ;) Nevertheless, I still have a faint urge to have it be my study room pendant lamp. We'll see :)

amazing :bow:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
DIY Project 1 - Completed!

A dozen of this (Ikea Lampan)

Lampan-small.jpg

+ some time + Lots of patience =

Lampan-Lit.jpg

The Dodecahedron Platonic Sun

Lampan-off.jpg

Found the plan to build this off the internet sometime ago and I told myself I just had to make one. Was originally intended to be hung above the study table but that was before I realized how ridiculously massive this thing is :o . It has since been repurposed into a floor lamp ;) Nevertheless, I still have a faint urge to have it be my study room pendant lamp. We'll see :)

I agree with sammy! :bow:

How u piece the lights together????? i lube your lights man. first ur lighthouse lens light now this.... Got anymore to show!!!!

I agree with sammy! :bow:

How u piece the lights together????? i lube your lights man. first ur lighthouse lens light now this.... Got anymore to show!!!!

Thanks thanks :D , but seriously, can't really take any credit for the design. A very clever Daniel Saakes dreamt up this amazing idea. Full instruction available via Instructables and do check out his flickr set for more pictures. :) (The one with 32 lamps is incredible!!!)

Thanks thanks :D , but seriously, can't really take any credit for the design. A very clever Daniel Saakes dreamt up this amazing idea. Full instruction available via Instructables and do check out his flickr set for more pictures. :) (The one with 32 lamps is incredible!!!)

Yah. I saw this before. That is why I said great effort. Hee. Really need a lot of effort to get this done. :good:

Shopping Update

A couple of more stuff for the kitchen;

ElectroluxEMS2048X.png

Electrolux EMS2048X (Basic microwave oven. Don't need one with fancy features.)

BrandtTG890.png

Brandt TG890 Gas Hob (Would have loved an induction hob but I think we're threading dangerously close to our electrical max load limit. Anyway, this hob's 4kw burner would be great for woks! :D )

Edited by thirdrockdweller

Shopping Update

More stuff added;

PhilipsEco-MoodPendantLight.jpg

Philips Eco-Mood Pendant Light for the study room. Bought from Philips' first Philips Lighting Brand Store in Singapore. Do check out the store. If you're crazy about lights with a technological bent, you can really geek out @ the store and admire Philips' range of Ledino and Eco-Mood lights. Be a fan of theirs on Facebook and get 10% off storewide!

Woodshadependantlamp.jpg

BLux's Ronda Drum Pendant Light for the Baby/Spare Bedroom :D

At this point, shopping for general lighting is complete. The rest of the flat will be using a combination T5 cove lights and halogen downs. Phew! :D

The search for the right dining table has been anything but fruitful. The wife and I have something quite specific in mind. Tragically, the one we've seen almost meeting our requirements also carry with them rather hefty price tags.

To us, the dining table is more than just a piece of furniture. It is almost a "place" where family members learn about the connections between food, feelings and family life. It is quite disheartening that the importance of dining at the dining table has almost become passe.

With this in mind, our dining table, above all else, has to be functional and not purely ornamental. It must be able to withstand the rigor of everyday use and does not mind, but rather welcome the occasional scuffs.

But we also can't deny the fact that we appreciate pretty things and the dining table aesthetic wise, shouldn't be an exception. So long as form follows function, we're game.

So, we've decided to make our own. Of course when I said we, I meant our contractor :D . We'll supply the design and he'll put everything together. Our only condition was it shouldn't cost too much. In fact, this was initially going to be my DIY Project #2 with the preconception that this was going to save me some $$$. Went to a timber supplier to do the usual investigation and discovered that indeed prices of wood seem to be quite reasonable as already suggested elsewhere in the forum. My initial estimation was about $3xx to make a solid wood 180cm x 95cm, 6cm thick table.

But when our contractor learned of the project, he (bless his heart) so very nicely offered to do it for us. And guess what, he could do it at an even lower cost :o .

We'll be constructing something very similar to this;

IMG_0399.jpg

Stay tuned :D

Cool ...

I also in the same thoughts of way for dining table. But didn't have the energy to do DIY. So we bought from S&C. I have been specifically mentioning that I want a BIG table and we bought this 180cm long and thick wood table.. with the chairs it cost almost $1k.

I am not sure about the quality but If you get from the timber shop directly, it should be better.

Keep us updated with your DIY project.

Cool ...

I also in the same thoughts of way for dining table. But didn't have the energy to do DIY. So we bought from S&C. I have been specifically mentioning that I want a BIG table and we bought this 180cm long and thick wood table.. with the chairs it cost almost $1k.

I am not sure about the quality but If you get from the timber shop directly, it should be better.

Keep us updated with your DIY project.

Ah yes, you've got a very nice table set. Saw it on your t-Blog. And for $1k, its a pretty good deal! :D Your place turned out very nicely!

The search for the right dining table has been anything but fruitful. The wife and I have something quite specific in mind. Tragically, the one we've seen almost meeting our requirements also carry with them rather hefty price tags.

To us, the dining table is more than just a piece of furniture. It is almost a "place" where family members learn about the connections between food, feelings and family life. It is quite disheartening that the importance of dining at the dining table has almost become passe.

With this in mind, our dining table, above all else, has to be functional and not purely ornamental. It must be able to withstand the rigor of everyday use and does not mind, but rather welcome the occasional scuffs.

But we also can't deny the fact that we appreciate pretty things and the dining table aesthetic wise, shouldn't be an exception. So long as form follows function, we're game.

So, we've decided to make our own. Of course when I said we, I meant our contractor :D . We'll supply the design and he'll put everything together. Our only condition was it shouldn't cost too much. In fact, this was initially going to be my DIY Project #2 with the preconception that this was going to save me some $$$. Went to a timber supplier to do the usual investigation and discovered that indeed prices of wood seem to be quite reasonable as already suggested elsewhere in the forum. My initial estimation was about $3xx to make a solid wood 180cm x 95cm, 6cm thick table.

But when our contractor learned of the project, he (bless his heart) so very nicely offered to do it for us. And guess what, he could do it at an even lower cost :o .

IMG_0399.jpg

LOVE the wood!! will you be using "new" wood or used wood? think used wood would add a ton of personality to your home..can't wait to see your completed dining table.

LOVE the wood!! will you be using "new" wood or used wood? think used wood would add a ton of personality to your home..can't wait to see your completed dining table.

Right on the money! Used or reclaimed wood would definitely be ideal. Will try our best to obtain some but if we have to go the new wood route, we'll go easy on the polishing and staining. Just some waxing for protection. For the "used" look, I guess we'll add to that with time and wear :D

I went to VLUX yesterday as we wanted to eat the claypot rice along that road. We went to see the innermost lighthouse and my hubby love the effect. But he did say see near not so nice, but see far very outstanding! :D . We also saw this crystal lights from china that looks like solar system orbiting. There are 5 cycles of different size and all 5 cycles are movable. Very pretty when lighted but it is halogen, where as innermost can take 100W or E27. Both are at 500+ before any haggling.

IMG_0399.jpg

omg! i'm looking for th exact table as you! same design, same size. i wonder if you can share the contact of your contractor so that i can approach him to make one too? then maybe he can give us a better price for 2!

thanks alot!