Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

I didn't take notice of the higher range/more expensive ikea stuff.

I only heard of the wood material not lasting.

Best to go and test. The good thing about Ikea is that they get thousands of shoppers. When you go there, you can see how the furniture will look after being used - the shoppers provide 'accelerated aging'.

You can see whether the surfaces are chipped or cracked or stained, you can feel/hear if the chairs, beds or tables are shaky or creaky... And some of them really are!

You can press the shelves and drawer bases to see if they are too soft...

I think you can tell which items are of better quality.

Oh, and of course the fibreboard shelves should not be overloaded (e.g. Billy bookcase). It doesn't matter which shop you buy from, fibreboard isn't as strong as solid wood. And solid pine is not as hard as solid teak... They all have their own price range...

Edited by 312079

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi all,

due to me being vertically challenged (short short short), i am thinking of doing this type of door for my dish rack. Any comments? :bath:

dishrack.jpg

Hi Toppie,

I did mine with PD Door (www.pddoor.com) for the mbr bathroom for $280+. You can have a clearer picture of how the door works from their website, I took some photos but can't really see much cos of the obstructed camera angle.

If you're getting the door from them, they deliver and fix up everything, including removing the current wooden door. Their bi-fold is slightly different from the normal bi-fold door as you can see from their website illustration. The normal type will just fold into a V-shape to one side, but this will actually slide and fold away 180degrees flat onto the wall.

:dancingqueen:

meepok

Hi meepok,

how long have you installed this door? Any problem faced todate? I told my contractor to source for me but she advised against it say it spoils easily esp its roller part and replacement will be expensive. Did PD doors give any guarantee to the door? if yes, for how long?

hi all,

due to me being vertically challenged (short short short), i am thinking of doing this type of door for my dish rack. Any comments? :dancingqueen:

dishrack.jpg

I think you mean this, as opposed to the one that opens upwards with hydraulic hinges, right?

It just means that instead of one big panel, you will have two smaller bi-fold panels that opens sideways. I dunno, but I somehow think that the big horizontal panel design will define the wash area more distinctly and adds variety to the cabinet design by breaking-away from the bi-fold vertical design used for most part of the cabinets. But of course I could be wrong lah....but in any case, do consider asking your ID to include aluminium frame doors with frosted glass (as in the picture) regardless of which design you go with eventually. They will cost a bit more, but the effect is definitely there. My ID just gave me wooden frames initially and I asked for them to be changed. The cabinet looks so much better after the change... :dribble:

Edited by gadgetman

I think you mean this, as opposed to the one that opens upwards with hydralics hinges, right?

It just means that instead of one big panel, you will have two smaller bi-fold panels that opens sideways. I dunno, but I somehow think that the big horizontal panel design will define the wash area more distinctly and adds variety to the cabinet design by breaking-away from the bi-fold vertical design used for most part of the cabinets. But of course I could be wrong lah....but in any case, do consider asking your ID to include aluminium frame doors with frosted glass (as in the picture) regardless of which design you go with eventually. They will cost a bit more, but the effect is definitely there. My ID just gave me wooden frames initially and I asked for them to be changed. The cabinet looks so much better after the change... :unsure:

yeah gadgetman, u are right.. the 1 big panel definitely look nicer. However, if i can only open the door n need help closing.. then it becomes not "user-friendly" and not practical. :dribble:

my contractor will be doing as the photo shows.. just that my door is abt 1m... hmmmm... :dancingqueen:

Hi meepok,

how long have you installed this door? Any problem faced todate? I told my contractor to source for me but she advised against it say it spoils easily esp its roller part and replacement will be expensive. Did PD doors give any guarantee to the door? if yes, for how long?

Hi toppie,

PD door warranty for one year and the parts are $2+ only, they will also teach you how to change the parts. The parts can be brought from their office and easily changed.

Bi fold door also not durable. My aunty house make the normal bi-fold door, also very hard to open from inside. PD door at least you can just slide halfway to enter, Although slighty more expensive.

By the way i'm not from PD door also. :dancingqueen:

Just a small hint...

for those who intend to install PD door, you may want to consolidate and get them to qoute you a lower price. could get as low as $250...

Hi toppie,

PD door warranty for one year and the parts are $2+ only, they will also teach you how to change the parts. The parts can be brought from their office and easily changed.

Bi fold door also not durable. My aunty house make the normal bi-fold door, also very hard to open from inside. PD door at least you can just slide halfway to enter, Although slighty more expensive.

By the way i'm not from PD door also. :dancingqueen:

Hi toppie,

By the way i'm not from PD door also. :notti:

Any idea if they charge transportation fee for coming down to replace the damaged parts? Btw, your house also use PD door? Any possibility of viewing the actual door?

Just a small hint...

for those who intend to install PD door, you may want to consolidate and get them to qoute you a lower price. could get as low as $250...

Hi RacKel,

You did PD door for your house as well? Any forumers interested to do PD doors as well?

Shopping trip for clock sounds interesting.

Where are you all availiable dates?

I am free for Sat and Sun.

Going to buy instant heater this Sat?

Any recommendations from neigbours?

I haven't sign city gas, what are they giving this time round?

Is the clock shopping date and time confirmed? If I'm free, I would love to join in.

Hi there :notti:

Anyone installed Joven heater and is now using?

I realise that mine takes a long time as I have to run the shower water in my MBR toilet for a few mins before the water turns hot. The water will still be hot as I shower. Then if my husband goes in after me, he has to run the water again cos it will turn cold!

Anyone knows why is it like tat? is the the heater or the piping??

Thanks!!

So r u accepting the work Mrs Png?

Hi Zephy,

i had no choice but to accept the work as my wardrobes are already up.... haix... still very pissed by that aircon man.... is your aircon man "mr tay"?

:notti:

Hi Zephy,

i had no choice but to accept the work as my wardrobes are already up.... haix... still very pissed by that aircon man.... is your aircon man "mr tay"?

:yamseng:

Your Aircon supplier from where?

Any idea if they charge transportation fee for coming down to replace the damaged parts? Btw, your house also use PD door? Any possibility of viewing the actual door?

Hi RacKel,

You did PD door for your house as well? Any forumers interested to do PD doors as well?

Is the clock shopping date and time confirmed? If I'm free, I would love to join in.

Hi toppie,

You have to go down to their office to buy the replacement parts and they will teach you how to changed. My house is using PD door. If you want drop by jus pm me.

Babymaro2003 :yamseng:

Hi Toppie,

Yup! They are coming for installation tomorrow.

Hi RacKel,

Hi All,

I'm new to tis forum & am currently doing reno to my unit in 79. :P

Coco,

noted u bot Turbo hob & hood; me too. If yr hood is not chimney but flat type, how much space hv u allocated on top of hood for ventilation? Any advice frm others are also most welcomed.

hi hana79,

welcome to this forum :sport-smiley-004:

I'm not sure of the space allocated. My ID requested for the hood to be sent before the carpentary so that the carpentar can take the exact measurement before working on the cabinet.

For those who have not buy your furnitures, better start to buy now as the prices of the wood has increase. Therefore if you are buying any furniture that has wood material, the price may be higher now as compared previously. I will still recommend that you go and have alook at Milan as they are distributor. You may not find a piece that you like from the showroom. They have catalog with much more furniture and they have different catalog for different year. All the items shown in the catalog are award wining items. They just started to sell carpet so as to test the market. The price of the carpet is reasonable and I just got 2 pcs from them !! Do check them out.

Edited by coco_mybibi