Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ee-ling

Renovation During 7th Month

Hi,

7th month (hungry ghost festival) is around Aug to Sept. Most chinese avoid renovation during this period.

I'm expecting to receive my keys around June to July. As such, i might only have only 1 month or less to finish my reno before the period starts on 10 Aug. There is risk that the reno might not be able to complete before 10 Aug.

I wonder whats the practice in the reno industry? Do they accept the customers insistence to pause all reno during the period and restart after that?

Do any of you had experiences of renovating around this period?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi, I also have a similar concern. can we renovate during qing ming? cos i'm moving in early may & will probably need to do minor renovation in apr which coincide with the qing ming month.... can anyone advise us, pls? thks in advance. :)

This is my personal opinion.

I would avoid doing renovation during the 7th month. You could try to negotiate with the seller to allow your start the renovation earlier (with your own RISK). Or, delay the whole renovation process.

For qing ming, I don't think there is anything taboo about qing ming. It is supposed to be a "positive" festival. And the qing ming is only 1 day anyway.

Due to timing conveniences, I started renovations for my brand new HDB flat during the 7th month hungry ghost period. The ID did a good job and the renovations went smoothly. I have since sold the flat and am awaiting to move into a new private apartment.

Personally, I have no hesitations in buying a new home / starting renovations / moving house anytime during the year, hungry ghost or no hungry ghost. When moving house, I have enough things to coordinate and take care off without having to worry about such stuff :)

Although I do not have any empirical evidence, I seriously doubt that renovations started during the Hungry Ghost month will experience more difficulties/problems than renovations started at other times of the year.

But of course if you have family members who are the superstitious sort, then it's best to avoid creating trouble for yourself. You will never win the "I told you so" argument if things do go wrong, however irrational it might be.

Cheers.

Actually if one is not pantang... it may even be a good idea to reno during 7th month, since typically less pple are doing reno, and hence contractors may have more time to focus on your house...

Due to timing conveniences, I started renovations for my brand new HDB flat during the 7th month hungry ghost period. The ID did a good job and the renovations went smoothly. I have since sold the flat and am awaiting to move into a new private apartment.

Personally, I have no hesitations in buying a new home / starting renovations / moving house anytime during the year, hungry ghost or no hungry ghost. When moving house, I have enough things to coordinate and take care off without having to worry about such stuff :)

Although I do not have any empirical evidence, I seriously doubt that renovations started during the Hungry Ghost month will experience more difficulties/problems than renovations started at other times of the year.

But of course if you have family members who are the superstitious sort, then it's best to avoid creating trouble for yourself. You will never win the "I told you so" argument if things do go wrong, however irrational it might be.

Cheers.

You're right, you'll have to consider other family members' preference too...

Edited by marshmallow

In my opinion, choosing the right date for Start of Reno(动土), the right date to bless the house and fix-up the altar (if any), the right date to fix the hood, the right date for moving in, the right date to house-warming is more important than avoiding Lunar 7th Month completely. Get a professional fengshui consultant to choose suitable dates for your family. :P

Of course in month of Hungry Ghost, asuspicious dates are very very limited. :(

That's why it is common sense to avoid it for ease of scheduling these activities.