Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fencer

Reno @my Simei 4a Resale Flat

Defects on main door. Have noticed this when they put on the hinges. I asked if y isit so, the door guys says wld be patched so can't see it before putting on protection coat. Not done after the protection coat was applied few days later.. i asked Boss.. and he said nevermind 1 lah.. no 1 wld notice.. I paid for a door with defects?

Asked abt the viewer also. Coz centre got bone so put on left side.. which obviously is next to the windows.. got use for viewer?

4560922330_11f97e2ace.jpg

4560299309_2677ddda9b.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Holes that i need to patch myself..

asked boss.. said is normal after wash. every hsehold is the same.. end of story.

Asked abt the yellowish of filling for the wall tiles, is like that.. if too serious use liquid paper..

Asked abt the black filling of floor tiles, is like that.. wash also same.. can use black perm marker loh..

Holes next to my main door and in plan sight.

4560295471_c8909bf8c2.jpg

4560931686_3bec906b44.jpg

1 spot on my homogenous floor tiles

4560936706_11c6597353.jpg

On Low wall at kitchen

4560925444_bdafab52f5.jpg

Crooked pipe at kitchen.. Feedbacked.. reply is nevermind 1.. got warranty if leaks (warranty for how long??) 1 holder lower part cracked off. Next to it, another 1 is pushed down til almost breaking. Pipes near the ceiling in toilet also crooked. filling for the hole in wall for pipe also cracked and looks like pushed upward.

4560933820_37aea4ce6f.jpg

Cracked tiles covered by plaster.. discovered after cleaning of tiles..

4560298527_f1a1a3324d.jpg

Before painting starts, i asked if the painter can reach inside and wld it be better to remove grill since going replace. Answer is no nd, painter hv small brush. After painting and changing of grills, asked again but say cannot lah.. no 1 see it 1.. nevermind..

4560303365_34f14d1021.jpg

Intorduction of a very good tool. Cost $2 at Daiso.

I used it to clean my kitchen window ledge of all cements, paints, small debris etc. Used w a penknife, brush and old toothbrush..

is also very good to scrape of painting from your tiles, skirtings and clear small lumps at corners etc..

Note that the corners of the skirting is quite sharp. Already got a few cuts..

4560308287_9c84037b35.jpg

4560934472_f9225136d3.jpg

i hate it when contractors say things like "its like that one", "no choice", "nevermind, no one can see".

it certainly reflects their working attitude. To me, things like the main door, cracked tiles and painting (or the lack of), is simply not acceptable. Things like that can be rectified, its just whether the contractor wants to put in the effort to do so or not.

installation of basin which is not centered also means sloppy work. who in the right mind would do it given that there is ample space?

i feel for u... :(

Holes that i need to patch myself..

asked boss.. said is normal after wash. every hsehold is the same.. end of story.

Asked abt the yellowish of filling for the wall tiles, is like that.. if too serious use liquid paper..

Asked abt the black filling of floor tiles, is like that.. wash also same.. can use black perm marker loh..

Holes next to my main door and in plan sight.

4560295471_c8909bf8c2.jpg

4560931686_3bec906b44.jpg

1 spot on my homogenous floor tiles

4560936706_11c6597353.jpg

On Low wall at kitchen

4560925444_bdafab52f5.jpg

How do you plan to patch the hole? I also have some small holes at the side of 1 door frame, but that's because i did not change the old door frame.

For the spots at the gout, try the melamine sponge from daiso. It's very useful for cleaning white surfaces... But it's really easy for white gout to get dirty... facing that problem myself.. :bangwall:

I totally understand your frustration, we all would like our house to be perfect, especially after the amount of money that we sank in..

But the reality is that we have to give and take at times loh.. Try to see what are the major items that has to be fixed and do not pay till they have been fixed! Small items then diy loh.. Jia you!

i hate it when contractors say things like "its like that one", "no choice", "nevermind, no one can see".

it certainly reflects their working attitude. To me, things like the main door, cracked tiles and painting (or the lack of), is simply not acceptable. Things like that can be rectified, its just whether the contractor wants to put in the effort to do so or not.

installation of basin which is not centered also means sloppy work. who in the right mind would do it given that there is ample space?

"old wall" has uneven-ness.. so i cannot say anything.. but walls patched after replacing door frames shld be good mah.. at least not as smooth as plastering by the master.. but to say that it is coz the old wall is uneven.. sigh...

Common toilet. tink they put in the sink 1st. do piping.. another day then put the mirror.. end up sink not centered.

Master bedroom.. boss mentioned before they may hv followed the line of the tiles... see left and right also bo leh.. piping guys have been installing so many mirrors and sinks.. dun know wic to go 1st and how to centre the items? :bangwall:

How do you plan to patch the hole? I also have some small holes at the side of 1 door frame, but that's because i did not change the old door frame.

For the spots at the gout, try the melamine sponge from daiso. It's very useful for cleaning white surfaces... But it's really easy for white gout to get dirty... facing that problem myself.. :bangwall:

I totally understand your frustration, we all would like our house to be perfect, especially after the amount of money that we sank in..

But the reality is that we have to give and take at times loh.. Try to see what are the major items that has to be fixed and do not pay till they have been fixed! Small items then diy loh.. Jia you!

Ha.. coldflamez, you believe that i changed the door frame also and the wall has been patched + painted? and stil got holes.. sigh... DIY DIY DIY... mayb i shld become a contractor huh.. HAhaha.. notice the wall next to the holes.. that is the wall of my main entrance!!! :furious:

choice 1: buy white plaster from DIY shops, they have those type wic is mixed oledi. choice 1: paint over it. choice 3: plaster then paint loh.. best!..

Yah.. i planning to clean all the tiles 2 or 3 times and scrab the floor 2 to 3 times.. after filling in all the spots, patched the walls, sand, repaint.

For those who going choose black tiles, my black floor tiles is not black now coz dust is trapped inside.. and along the fillings.. solution is scrab yourself a few times to get the black back.. and use marker as adviced..

Fencer, bro. Did you specify to them the exact location of the wash basin prior to installation? It could have been due to the original location of the flush pipe at the bottom that restricted the positioning. I think if the intended position is further to the left, it would have required some adjustments on the piping. That's a whole different story altogether.

Edited by hcbing

The "yellowing" of white grouting filling between wall tiles are quite common as what I've gathered from my peers who've just renovated as well. I asked Henry and the tiler, they said it's most probably due to the filling absorbing the cement (original wall) behind the tiles. This even happens after cement screeding.

Fencer, bro. Did you specify to them the exact location of the wash basin prior to installation? It could have been due to the original location of the flush pipe at the bottom that restricted the positioning. I think the intended position is further to the left, it would have required some adjustments on the piping. That's a whole different story altogether.

I had already told them the mirror and sink be centred. Initially the guy told he the stainless steel piping wld run right side of the wastage pipe so that the miiror can be centred. Even showed me the extend of the mirror.

I came back next day and saw only the sink is up. Was wondering y the piping sudd changed to left side of wastage pipe. Anyway the mirror is not up yet.

As I mentioned before, they lumped everything together before they left. End up put wrong mirror, ledge and paper holder in the wrong toilet, although i had seperated the items. Saw the situation of the mirror also. Feedbacked.. and reasons as given loh..

Piping can be adjusted directly under the sink.. as long the majority coming up the floor is straight. if the stainless steel piping position is changed.. they could have adjusted accordingly. like i said.. i asked if the sink can be adjust to the centre.. reasons as given loh.. :(

The "yellowing" of white grouting filling between wall tiles are quite common as what I've gathered from my peers who've just renovated as well. I asked Henry and the tiler, they said it's most probably due to the filling absorbing the cement (original wall) behind the tiles. This even happens after cement screeding.

Yah.. i expect it to change.. but not before i move in mah... and is only like 1+ month only..

i asked the tiler when he happend to drop by.. he said is from the china made tiles, the kitchen is not that obvious coz tink he said they're italian tiles or something.. (some mayb dirt trapped inside so i intend to brush all to see how much can i remove) He volunteered to come back and redo the fillings, before boss ask him y.. end up no come back.. mayb bz.. forgot.. or boss ask him dun KPO? i don't know.. anyway.. DIY loh..

I think what is frustrating is that after paying them to do the job, we still have to DIY ourselves...

don't you think its like buying a burger from Mac and the staff telling you to pack the burger urself?

Anyway, for filling up gaps along the door frame, should use wall putty better or plaster better? :)

I think what is frustrating is that after paying them to do the job, we still have to DIY ourselves...

don't you think its like buying a burger from Mac and the staff telling you to pack the burger urself?

Anyway, for filling up gaps along the door frame, should use wall putty better or plaster better? :)

No matter ID or contractor, DIY sure hv. is how much and how big is the problems..

Question is if i nd to spend few weeks and over $100 to DIY.. then need to ask the buger and packing qns liao..

Eh.. me no experience leh..

small gaps, tink shld be ok to use either.. i tink so.. Ha.. use oledi, nd to make it even and smooth also mah. Is how fast they dry so u hv ample time to work on it and if can "latch" on the other surfaces so won't drop out.

got any expert out there can advice?? :D