Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fencer

Reno @my Simei 4a Resale Flat

Some info that might be useful to some of you..

1) Alot of the wall tiles's "white powder" had turned abit yellowish (Some seriously decolored). Was told is from the tiles itself.. Henry said bo bian.. is like that 1. So choose your tiles properly.. the tiler once said "China made" ones is very prone to this problem... Can't believe it! Before move in change color oledi.. sigh... bo bian loh.. if you see this, feedback asap for it to be repatched coz was told cannot patch anymore, the new powder cannot "hold" onto the old powder.

2) For old flats, if you choose to replace the windows, please know new windows is not as "thick" as the walls.. And guys putting up windows dun patch nice nice the walls to window parts 1 hor.. at least for my case lah.. mayb i special.. ahhaha.. Also, for me only, when raining, water do not flow out of the "vents". Water accumulate at the centre of the window.. only those reaching the vent at the side goes out.. coz old flat? Ha.. mayb is me.. feedback but was forgotten.

3) For old flats, new window grills will cover the new windows.. sui sui one.. but can see the bad patching skills outside of the grills/windows.. also.. MAJOR ADVICE.. ask contractor to remove all window grills well before painting, so can paint PROPERLY around the windows surrounding.. window guys come after painting mah.. and dun believe when some1 says sure can one.. the painters hv small brush, can paint the small gaps etc.. even corridor units, who will break in to steal paints, tiles? fyi. freaking grill guys punched holes into the windows to secure the grills. Caused 2 leaks which lasted for new days before it was patched up only with silicone. wonder how long it would last.. sigh...

4) After having Kitchen's windows replaced, tell contractor to tell everyone working near the area to cover the ledge of the windows with something before work. I had a bad time cleaning out all the bits and pieces of cements and dirt and paints from the window ledges.. now the windows do not open smoothly like new ones.. work done above the ledge, includes piping guys, grill installations, painting and patch work if any.. and dun believe that the cleaners got blower to blow the bits out..

5) Wood use for all doors and door frames is the same.. cheap wood.. is just the design. Most important abt this, they would bring in the doors, fix up 1st. After then paint the doors without removing it from the hinges. So know this, the top and bottom of the doors is not painted at all.. so for me, my main door wic is prone to kana rain.. hv to protect it myself with towels etc.. Also door frame, kana water would hv yellowish color come out.. cheap wood mah.. how to waterproof? just paint loh..

6) Have dowlight? plaster the walls.. at least the walls having dowlights.. HAhahah..

7) Last.. small prob lah.. electrician just applied silicon to seal the trunking. But that day the grill guys was working also.. so he drilled the walls.. end up the flakes got "caught" in the silicon.. today spend 1 hr to take out the whole row and apply again..

Rem you have the rights to tell the workers to be careful for certain things like cover the ledge when working above etc.. if not, feedback to contractor immed. Is your own responsibilty to do your own checks.. Ha.. of coz you nd to be there before they start to warn them..

Which i try to be there most of the times but no use coz dun know the consequence.. so i hope friends dun kana like me.. Hahah.. or i special again.. Hahha..

Gd advice for many. :good:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Gd advice for many. :good:

Ha.. Thanks huh.. i'll try add in more as i write my review for the reno and change the format so can see easily from 1 glance.. feel free to pm me to suggest.. and i will compile.. hope be useful reference for all..

BUt slowly huh.. need time.. Hahah..

Ha.. Thanks huh.. i'll try add in more as i write my review for the reno and change the format so can see easily from 1 glance.. feel free to pm me to suggest.. and i will compile.. hope be useful reference for all..

BUt slowly huh.. need time.. Hahah..

fencer, thanks for your advices... sure useful for newbies like me :)

btw, also thanks for using flickr... finally another t-blog that i can read properly in office! :lol:

(Simon, if you're reading this - i understand how you feel LOL)

btw, also thanks for using flickr... finally another t-blog that i can read properly in office! :lol:

Marshmallow, so am I expecting you to use flickr for yr T-blog too :):rolleyes::dancingqueen:

Marshmallow, so am I expecting you to use flickr for yr T-blog too :):rolleyes::dancingqueen:

Yup yup... *hi 5* if not i myself can't see in office ah hahaha... :lol:

Unless i can find another photo site that is unblocked for most pple... there are many offices that ban flickr also, can't please everyone manz....

Ha.. no prob.. makes it easier for everyone mah..

didn't know got diff last tm.. i shld include steps on how to use flickr also so every wld start using.. HAhah..

Pics of my crooked kitchen base against the cabinets..

Hmm.. I hope only the base tiles is crooked.. not all the tiles!.. "Pray!".. :o

better go take a closer look 2morow or wed..

4554600186_1d87ab20b5.jpg

This pics not that clear.. Need to see it on ground then is very obvious..

4554600302_76ab4da5a5.jpg

Some info that might be useful to some of you..

1) Alot of the wall tiles's "white powder" had turned abit yellowish (Some seriously decolored). Was told is from the tiles itself.. Henry said bo bian.. is like that 1. So choose your tiles properly.. the tiler once said "China made" ones is very prone to this problem... Can't believe it! Before move in change color oledi.. sigh... bo bian loh.. if you see this, feedback asap for it to be repatched coz was told cannot patch anymore, the new powder cannot "hold" onto the old powder.

2) For old flats, if you choose to replace the windows, please know new windows is not as "thick" as the walls.. And guys putting up windows dun patch nice nice the walls to window parts 1 hor.. at least for my case lah.. mayb i special.. ahhaha.. Also, for me only, when raining, water do not flow out of the "vents". Water accumulate at the centre of the window.. only those reaching the vent at the side goes out.. coz old flat? Ha.. mayb is me.. feedback but was forgotten.

3) For old flats, new window grills will cover the new windows.. sui sui one.. but can see the bad patching skills outside of the grills/windows.. also.. MAJOR ADVICE.. ask contractor to remove all window grills well before painting, so can paint PROPERLY around the windows surrounding.. window guys come after painting mah.. and dun believe when some1 says sure can one.. the painters hv small brush, can paint the small gaps etc.. even corridor units, who will break in to steal paints, tiles? fyi. freaking grill guys punched holes into the windows to secure the grills. Caused 2 leaks which lasted for new days before it was patched up only with silicone. wonder how long it would last.. sigh...

4) After having Kitchen's windows replaced, tell contractor to tell everyone working near the area to cover the ledge of the windows with something before work. I had a bad time cleaning out all the bits and pieces of cements and dirt and paints from the window ledges.. now the windows do not open smoothly like new ones.. work done above the ledge, includes piping guys, grill installations, painting and patch work if any.. and dun believe that the cleaners got blower to blow the bits out..

5) Wood use for all doors and door frames is the same.. cheap wood.. is just the design. Most important abt this, they would bring in the doors, fix up 1st. After then paint the doors without removing it from the hinges. So know this, the top and bottom of the doors is not painted at all.. so for me, my main door wic is prone to kana rain.. hv to protect it myself with towels etc.. Also door frame, kana water would hv yellowish color come out.. cheap wood mah.. how to waterproof? just paint loh..

6) Have dowlight? plaster the walls.. at least the walls having dowlights.. HAhahah..

7) Last.. small prob lah.. electrician just applied silicon to seal the trunking. But that day the grill guys was working also.. so he drilled the walls.. end up the flakes got "caught" in the silicon.. today spend 1 hr to take out the whole row and apply again..

Rem you have the rights to tell the workers to be careful for certain things like cover the ledge when working above etc.. if not, feedback to contractor immed. Is your own responsibilty to do your own checks.. Ha.. of coz you nd to be there before they start to warn them..

Which i try to be there most of the times but no use coz dun know the consequence.. so i hope friends dun kana like me.. Hahah.. or i special again.. Hahha..

Thanks for the warning! For point 1, are you referring to your kitchen wall tiles? For point 3, are you saying painting should be completed first before installing the window grilles? Point 5 refers to painting of doors, arent the doors laminated in the first place? What do you by cheap wood for doors? Arent they solid wood? Dont quite understand point 6, please elaborate brother.

Your kitchen looks good now that it is completed with kitchen top. Cant really tell if the kitchen tiles are slanted. I notice that your kitchen cabinets dont have handle, so you opt to open from the top? Any more carpentry works to show or not?

Overall your house looks good but just that there are some hiccups along the way which I think are not important as long as the house is tastefully done up.

Cheers.

Thanks for the warning! For point 1, are you referring to your kitchen wall tiles? For point 3, are you saying painting should be completed first before installing the window grilles? Point 5 refers to painting of doors, arent the doors laminated in the first place? What do you by cheap wood for doors? Arent they solid wood? Dont quite understand point 6, please elaborate brother.

Your kitchen looks good now that it is completed with kitchen top. Cant really tell if the kitchen tiles are slanted. I notice that your kitchen cabinets dont have handle, so you opt to open from the top? Any more carpentry works to show or not?

Overall your house looks good but just that there are some hiccups along the way which I think are not important as long as the house is tastefully done up.

Cheers.

For point 6, you can see fencer's posts on top of the page... The walls without plastering are not smooth, and the roughness became obvious especially under the downlights :(

Cheers.

Hi Bro..

point 1 : wall tiles.. be it toilet or kitchen tiles.. i suppose is the quality of the tiles.. the kitchen is still better then the toilets.

Point 3: Yup..

Case 1: replacing new windows and grills.

My rooms and kitchen is this case. Sequence is remove old grills, replace windows, paint, install grills.

Case 2: retain windows but replace grills.

My Living room and dining area is this case. my sequence is paint, remove old grills and install grills. I've asked if need to remove grills 1st and was told only installer of grills wld remove grills and pianters hv small brush.. end up some places not painted. i asked painters also and NO they do not hv fine brushes. The smallest brush they hv is abt 3-4cm wide.. tmy advice, ask the contractor to remove the old grills before paint.

Case 3: retain both windows and grills.

Good luck on the painting.. HA..

Painting wise, they are not that good at painting boundary of windows, and walls.. and grills of coz.. so sure kana.. and dun believe when contractor says if 1 pl patched/dirtied, they hv to paint the whole wall.. which is not going to happen.. and no painting in 1 direction etc huh.. painting is fast and furious one.. Ha..

point 5: they laminted the sides u see only.. top and bottom is nothing. same as painted doors. Also, please check the doors (from bottom to top) for defects after they mount onto the hinges and before installing the handles etc. I have 3 defects on my main door, 1 small hole facing inside and 2 defects in the laminate facing out. i asked the guys who installed the doors and said it would be patched before applying final coat of protection. end up is not patched. Solid wood to them means is not plywood/chipwood etc. is just cut to size wood. dun expect them to use oak wood etc right? Ha..

point 6: If you plan to have dowlights in living room etc, plaster the walls or at least that area. like Simon had said, plastering the whole unit cost $1.5 est..

Henry said is the fashion now.. w no handles loh.. the "handle" is top for bottom doors and bottom for top cabinates. Side for the box up of pipes.

Ha.. i didn't say all the defects yet leh.. some 1 hv to leave with it.. some i wan make sure rectified.

e.g my water pipes from crooked from kitchen to toilet. Not nice and is potential for leaks in future.. and they piping guys cracked 2 tiles while drilling and keep quiet.. they just "plaster" it up.. i saw last sun when i bought my own ladder and climb up to clean the tiles..

e.g the stupid grills guys rivet the grills to my windows causing leaks when raining. it was rectified by applying only silicion at the rivet, which i dun know can last how long, which is rectified after kana 5 days of rain!.. and shld know.. no preventive measure was taken to stop the water from reaching my white cupboards k..

The question now is did i pay $35k for such works.. which some is just patch job to get the handing over done?

very nice kitchen~ :good: btw... how big is your ceiling fan?

56in with Acrylic blades..

Note: Only install the fans a few days after acid wash.. the acid vapourising wld damage the fans..

For point 6, you can see fencer's posts on top of the page... The walls without plastering are not smooth, and the roughness became obvious especially under the downlights :(

Thanks marshmallow.. HA.. :D

esp if the wall have the rough spots where paint dripping down wld accumulate, it would even be more obvious.. Ha.. let me see if my DIY can remove some of the spots.. Ha.. at least minimize..

56in with Acrylic blades..

Note: Only install the fans a few days after acid wash.. the acid vapourising wld damage the fans..

Thanks for your advice... i must remember this next time :D

Thanks marshmallow.. HA.. :D

esp if the wall have the rough spots where paint dripping down wld accumulate, it would even be more obvious.. Ha.. let me see if my DIY can remove some of the spots.. Ha.. at least minimize..

Is it possible to sandpaper some rough part away? hmmm. :unsure: