Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fencer

Reno @my Simei 4a Resale Flat

I am lucky .... my previous owner did plaster b4 (although still not very smooth ... can also see some rough wall but didn't have dowlight so still ok)

Sian.. Henry called... guy who plaster fully booked til june/july.. meeting painter see if can minimize..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Note sure if true or not.. the door guy says got "bone" at centre so put it the viewer at the side..

sigh... :(

Hmm... possible...

The wall, it is very obvious that they didn't do the plastering lar! If your contractor did quote you the wall plastering price, then you must question him why didn't do properly. Then what left out is either you ask him to redo everything for you (since it is been quoted inside for you), or you're OK with it and ask him deduct the plastering price from your quote.

On the door, to double check if there is a bone at that location, maybe can differentiate it by knocking it? got something behind usually will got different knocking sound right? hehehe...anyway, just some ideas to check....

The wall, it is very obvious that they didn't do the plastering lar! If your contractor did quote you the wall plastering price, then you must question him why didn't do properly. Then what left out is either you ask him to redo everything for you (since it is been quoted inside for you), or you're OK with it and ask him deduct the plastering price from your quote.

As mention by fencer, I think there is no plastering in the quote and charges for plastering ...

As mention by fencer, I think there is no plastering in the quote and charges for plastering ...

Yup.. initial quotation no add plastering coz b4 reno looks ok.. mayb coz previous owner no hv dowlights so can't see properly.. HA.. anyways is my fault loh.. bo bian..

On the door, to double check if there is a bone at that location, maybe can differentiate it by knocking it? got something behind usually will got different knocking sound right? hehehe...anyway, just some ideas to check....

Ha.. no use lah.. can't do anything abt it liao.. assume got "bone"... Ha..

Moral of the story.. don't assume loh.. Ha.. although is very obvious to us.. HA..

Just got my 56in Fanco GM colored fixed up in the living room.. :)

Cleaners cleaning my hse at the moment and later 1.30 meeting Henry for last inspection loh..

btw, yest had already bought brushes etc to do clean up and touch up ourselves.. starting next week bah.. got 4 weeks only before 1st set of furniture comes in..

Cleaners cleaning my hse at the moment and later 1.30 meeting Henry for last inspection loh..

btw, yest had already bought brushes etc to do clean up and touch up ourselves.. starting next week bah.. got 4 weeks only before 1st set of furniture comes in..

Ha...Henry went straight to my place after yours, bro. Henry brought Ah Liang in today to go over electrical plans. Heard from Henry your place gonna HO soon woh! Cheers!

Henry tot today can hand over oledi. Haa.. funny.. stil got few things no fix yet though..

Today morning, just discover the tiles for the base of the kitchen table top next to dining area is not straight. So is the side facing the fridge. Sigh... lucky discover it early.

Replacement of the cracked tile at main entrance is complete but the guy plastered a chunk outside the tile.. feedback again to remove it..

Going start my review section next week immed after handover.. 2morow go down DIY loh..

Ha...Henry went straight to my place after yours, bro. Henry brought Ah Liang in today to go over electrical plans. Heard from Henry your place gonna HO soon woh! Cheers!

Wha say.... so good.. :o

Last time, Henry just arrange a time to meet Ah Liang by myself to settle w him my electrical plans leh.. and all the time, i contact Ah Liang myself and settle whatever is needed leh.. Ha.. "pian xing".. :curse:

Wha say.... so good.. :o

Last time, Henry just arrange a time to meet Ah Liang by myself to settle w him my electrical plans leh.. and all the time, i contact Ah Liang myself and settle whatever is needed leh.. Ha.. "pian xing".. :curse:

Hahaha...not "pian xin" lah. I think it's because I don't meet Henry that often mah. Wah piang...today really rush through the whole lighting/switches plan with Henry and Ah Liang until I can't remember at one point what I was talking about. I'll need to remind Henry and Ah Liang again to help conceal/hide/camouflage as much as possible wherever possible :P

I heard Ah Liang's pretty skilled ah? Good chap to work with, bro?

Hahaha...not "pian xin" lah. I think it's because I don't meet Henry that often mah. Wah piang...today really rush through the whole lighting/switches plan with Henry and Ah Liang until I can't remember at one point what I was talking about. I'll need to remind Henry and Ah Liang again to help conceal/hide/camouflage as much as possible wherever possible :P

I heard Ah Liang's pretty skilled ah? Good chap to work with, bro?

Haahh... i also no meet henry that often.. i try to arrange but he always not free to meet.. unless "pay" day or **** serious problem liao.. Ha.. He tend to be forgetful sometimes.. but lucky some times i prempt 1st liao.. Ha..

To me, Ah Liang is quite good.. u just tell him what and where.. he will settle.. minor changes, u can call him and ask him.. he wld suggest also..

Haahh... i also no meet henry that often.. i try to arrange but he always not free to meet.. unless "pay" day or **** serious problem liao.. Ha.. He tend to be forgetful sometimes.. but lucky some times i prempt 1st liao.. Ha..

To me, Ah Liang is quite good.. u just tell him what and where.. he will settle.. minor changes, u can call him and ask him.. he wld suggest also..

Haha. Actually I think that's pretty common with renovation contractors. But I kinda learnt from what Simon has gone through on his t-blog. Working with reno contractors require us to be on-the-ball abit and keep track of things. I usually email then sms and followed by a call before a certain appointment with Henry to remind him so that he could plan his time better that way. Though it does take a bit of co-ordination from our end :)

I'll have to talk to Henry and Ah Liang more on planning better trunking/casing hehe. Thanks, bro! Good luck!

Haha. Actually I think that's pretty common with renovation contractors. But I kinda learnt from what Simon has gone through on his t-blog. Working with reno contractors require us to be on-the-ball abit and keep track of things. I usually email then sms and followed by a call before a certain appointment with Henry to remind him so that he could plan his time better that way. Though it does take a bit of co-ordination from our end :)

I'll have to talk to Henry and Ah Liang more on planning better trunking/casing hehe. Thanks, bro! Good luck!

Ha.. Yah loh.. to me is to save the effort of correcting what had been done.. sometimes, do wrong liao.. cannot change loh.. so dun always assume..

u really nd to be on the ball.. keep 2 or 3 steps ahead of what to be done.. go check regularly and know what is going on.. takes alot of effort but wld be better in the long run.. Ha..

All the best to your reno also.. HA..

Some info that might be useful to some of you..

1) Alot of the wall tiles's "white powder" had turned abit yellowish (Some seriously decolored). Was told is from the tiles itself.. Henry said bo bian.. is like that 1. So choose your tiles properly.. the tiler once said "China made" ones is very prone to this problem... Can't believe it! Before move in change color oledi.. sigh... bo bian loh.. if you see this, feedback asap for it to be repatched coz was told cannot patch anymore, the new powder cannot "hold" onto the old powder.

2) For old flats, if you choose to replace the windows, please know new windows is not as "thick" as the walls.. And guys putting up windows dun patch nice nice the walls to window parts 1 hor.. at least for my case lah.. mayb i special.. ahhaha.. Also, for me only, when raining, water do not flow out of the "vents". Water accumulate at the centre of the window.. only those reaching the vent at the side goes out.. coz old flat? Ha.. mayb is me.. feedback but was forgotten.

3) For old flats, new window grills will cover the new windows.. sui sui one.. but can see the bad patching skills outside of the grills/windows.. also.. MAJOR ADVICE.. ask contractor to remove all window grills well before painting, so can paint PROPERLY around the windows surrounding.. window guys come after painting mah.. and dun believe when some1 says sure can one.. the painters hv small brush, can paint the small gaps etc.. even corridor units, who will break in to steal paints, tiles? fyi. freaking grill guys punched holes into the windows to secure the grills. Caused 2 leaks which lasted for new days before it was patched up only with silicone. wonder how long it would last.. sigh...

4) After having Kitchen's windows replaced, tell contractor to tell everyone working near the area to cover the ledge of the windows with something before work. I had a bad time cleaning out all the bits and pieces of cements and dirt and paints from the window ledges.. now the windows do not open smoothly like new ones.. work done above the ledge, includes piping guys, grill installations, painting and patch work if any.. and dun believe that the cleaners got blower to blow the bits out..

5) Wood use for all doors and door frames is the same.. cheap wood.. is just the design. Most important abt this, they would bring in the doors, fix up 1st. After then paint the doors without removing it from the hinges. So know this, the top and bottom of the doors is not painted at all.. so for me, my main door wic is prone to kana rain.. hv to protect it myself with towels etc.. Also door frame, kana water would hv yellowish color come out.. cheap wood mah.. how to waterproof? just paint loh..

6) Have dowlight? plaster the walls.. at least the walls having dowlights.. HAhahah..

7) Last.. small prob lah.. electrician just applied silicon to seal the trunking. But that day the grill guys was working also.. so he drilled the walls.. end up the flakes got "caught" in the silicon.. today spend 1 hr to take out the whole row and apply again..

Rem you have the rights to tell the workers to be careful for certain things like cover the ledge when working above etc.. if not, feedback to contractor immed. Is your own responsibilty to do your own checks.. Ha.. of coz you nd to be there before they start to warn them..

Which i try to be there most of the times but no use coz dun know the consequence.. so i hope friends dun kana like me.. Hahah.. or i special again.. Hahha..

Edited by fencer